Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_w View Post
    Seriously, get paint.net and force yourself to use it. You won't be sorry.
    I second this.

Gimp is powerful like photoshop but takes quite a bit of getting used to.

Here's today's addition... The Estes AIM-45A Sentinel Missile (1987). This was one of the rockets that I fell in love with, and have built a number of times (and likely will again, as soon as I can). I've got it in four varieties, the Stock, an E powered clone, a D-to-E-powered two stage mod with payload section, and an E-to-E powered two stage payload version.

Estes Sentinel Missle (1987) Stock:

Estes Sentinel Missile (1987) E Powered clone:

Estes Sentinel Missile (1987) D-to-E-Powered, Two-Staged, Payload version:

Estes Sentinel Missile (1987) E Powered, Two-Staged, Payload version:

Last edited by K'Tesh; 21st April 2016 at 03:07 PM.
    Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Seriously, get paint.net and force yourself to use it. You won't be sorry.
    How's that compared to Gimp? I've been using it for layering since I lost my photoshop. Not as nice, but works well. Curious what your opinion is.
    NAR# 100059 Tripoli# 17072 KM4TZU
    Level 1 (Madcow Torrent / Cesaroni I236 - March 13 2016 2023ft - Dual Deployment)
    Level 2 (Madcow Level-2 "RumbleBee" / Cesaroni J250 Sparky - April 3, 2016 2096ft)
    Highest Flight: Level 2 "RunbleBee" 9490ft Max Vel. 1530ft/s Apr 9, 2017 LDRS36

Paint.net is much smaller and simpler (but still quite capable). If you're looking for a lot of hardcore Photoshop-like capabilities, you might find Gimp more suited to your needs. For me, I find that Paint.net is a perfect fit for most of my usage. For serious photo editing I'll probably go elsewhere, but for stuff like editing these decal files it's absolutely perfect. I'm in a long-term search to find something for the Mac that is as capable and comfortable to use, but no luck yet.

*No one* should be using Microsoft Paint for any but the most rudimentary tasks (and even then probably not). Gimp (or Photoshop) is overkill for many purposes. Paint.net is a nice program and is free. Give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
    Here's today's addition... The Estes AIM-45A Sentinel Missile (1987). ...
    Thanks. This is another one I would like to clone and/or upscale/downscale.

Looks decal-heavy though. For a proper clone it would require having a good set of decals made.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabernut View Post
    Looks decal-heavy though. For a proper clone it would require having a good set of decals made.
    http://www.sandmandecals.com/product.php?id_product=370

Since Gord got a working ALPS printer now, maybe he can start making these again.

Well, it's about time I put this one up... One of my favorites... The Estes Black Brant II (1958)

I'm finally happy with the roll pattern, and thanks to GuySmith, I'm happy with the fin dimensions. This .ork needed "Air Fins" for the "CC II A 10 decals" to appear correctly on the fins. So, if you want to use this .ork for flight performance, you'll need to delete them. The fins required a "Phantom Body Tube" to attach them as a single unit (OR will not allow fins to be attached to transitions). The triangular filler "fins" that the instructions tell you to make are simmed too (also requiring a "Phantom Body Tube"). Remarkably, there's no error messages concerning body tube diameter mismatches.

More on the roll pattern can be found here. The moment that clarified it for me was the Madcow's instructions that indicated that the bottom of the roll pattern was made of 8 equally spaced bands of black and white.

For more of my BBII love... you can always check out my BT-60 upscale (currently unfinished, and stuck in the USA).

Last edited by K'Tesh; 25th April 2016 at 03:26 AM.

NAR L1 Cert flight: Sheridan, Oregon, USA. Sept. 19, 2015. Flew Deep Space OFFl on an I357T-14A Blue Thunder

Hell yeah! Thanks!

Excellent!(in Mr. Burns voice)

I'm currently assembling parts for the BT-50 downscale that was recently posted - thanks Flyfalcons, K'Tesh.

I just need to print a pattern for the tail cone and fin set and I'm ready to start building one of these bad boys.
    NASA success rate since 2000: 94.7%
    SpaceX Falcon 9 success rate: 94.7%
    My personal success rate: 91.1% <--- new goal to hit 95%
    My YouTube channel

That's awesome! Keep us posted with the build! I have three flights on the downscale and it's a terrific performer, even with a little A8-3. I didn't know K'Tesh had a BT-60 plan available. I might have to send him some original fin measurements to dial those in and build one for myself.
    Last edited by Flyfalcons; 23rd April 2016 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    That's awesome! Keep us posted with the build! I have three flights on the downscale and it's a terrific performer, even with a little A8-3. I didn't know K'Tesh had a BT-60 plan available. I might have to send him some original fin measurements to dial those in and build one for myself.
    Please do... I'd love to finish this .ork and post it. I just posted a request for a scan with a ruler (and matrix if possible) over in yard sale.

The Estes Black Brant II (1958)'s .ork is up! See Post #157

The fins did require some tweaking (they were a tad too large). So, I updated the image when I uploaded the .ork file. However, I'm disinclined to correct the roll pattern views I did (that was a lot of work, and the differences have nothing to do with the roll pattern itself (besides, they are too minor for an update to just an image)).

That does look much better on the fins. Now upscale those for the BT-60 size and I might have my next project. Though I do want to get going on my big foamy build as well.....too many projects, not enough time.

Adding the Estes Alpha (1225) today. It's the 1980's variant that I build sometime around 1985.

In the 1983 catalog, the Alpha shows it has a plastic nosecone, as did mine. The fins I measured for this .ork were scanned by BEC, and the instructions he uploaded showed a balsa nosecone. That said, it has the same red and black decals as my kit. Beginning in 1991, the decals changed to red and blue.

Several years later there was a change in the nosecone's shape, and (possibly in 2009) the painting instructions changed the fin color to red (though the catalogs from 1991 through 2016 still show a blue fin). The motor mount was also changed to move it from flush with the end of the body tube to having 3/8" exposed.

I needed to add a phantom body tube for the engine hooks, but other than that, there are no other special hidden features.

Enjoy!

Oh, and here's the scan of the decals I used as a foundation for the 1991 version's markings:

Last edited by K'Tesh; 24th April 2016 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmacklin View Post
    These are my files.
    tmacklin has beautiful files!!!! They look very sharp and clean
    Always lurking........

In keeping with the revisionist history theme I've been working on lately... I give you the re-imaging of the Estes Warp II (2022).

You can download the new .ork file in post #48.

And another revision... The Estes Eggspress (1996)(Stock, Decaled)

Download the file in post #22.

Was able to get this revised today thanks to the scans from KevinM

The Estes Loadstar II (3227)(Stock, Decaled)

You can download the new .ork file in post #48.

If you haven't guessed, I'm really enjoying the revisits to the old files to add the decals... Here's another... The Estes Vigilante

You can download the updated .ork file in post #3

Quote Originally Posted by tmacklin View Post
    These are my files.
    This made me laugh! Thank You Sir! I needed the laughter today!

Working on the Estes "Rocket Red" Crayon (1102)

Problem is, I don't have hard numbers for anything other than the nosecone (and the dimensions of the motor mount).

Today, thanks to Cabernut's request (and information), it's the Estes Mega Mosquito (1335):

The fins are based on the scans he provided me for the .ork file. However, due to the limitations of OR, I wasn't able to sim the hollows in the core of the fins. The fins are simulated with a 3/32" core, and would have 1/16" thick skins applied to those cores (making them 7/32" thick overall).

As I don't have a nosecone here to measure against, I upscaled the PNC-60L (Big Bertha type nosecone), its shoulder is a guess. Still, I think it looks pretty good.

For some oddball reason, the 3D rendering of the rocket has the centering rings visible through the body tube, despite them being set for the ID of the body tube. I edited this out of the visual above. I omitted the Estes decal as it wasn't seen in the catalog, and I didn't want to create an air fin for this sim (outside of the "solid" cores).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estes_Mega_Mosquito_decals.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	290859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estes_Mega_Mosquito_fins.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	290860

[EDIT] I should never upload anything when I'm tired. Before Cabernut told me that the skins were 1/16" thick, I had guessed that they were all 3/32". When I got the info, I updated the thicknesses of the fins, but forgot to correct the labels. I caught that, and have corrected the file. So if you're one of the four people who downloaded it earlier, the fins are the correct thickness, but the labels on two of the fins are wrong. You can either fix that yourself, or just download the file again. Again, it's only the labels, and not the fin thicknesses that I fouled up.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 14th May 2016 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks for posting that K'Tesh. With it no longer on the Estes website, you never know how long they'll be available.

I bought one of these for my son. He picked it out as his next rocket. He was so excited to open the shipping box when it arrived - but once opened he stops and disappointedly says "Awww, you mean I have to put it together?".

He loves to fly them, just not build them. "No problem son, I'll build it!"
    My YouTube channel

Of course to combat the Estes Mega Mosquito, you need Deep Space OFFl (Puns and Jokes)

And no... that's not OFF! that's an L... as in Awful (Puns and Jokes).

Here's the full main decal...

The lesser decals are just chrome Trim Monokote that was wrapped around the bottom band, and just above and below the main decal (to give that appearance of the rocket being made from a metal can), as well as a short strip around the top edge of the nosecone's shoulder.

This is my L1 Certification rocket.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 19th July 2016 at 04:00 PM.

Wow that's awesome! How long did it take you to write all that up?
    My YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Cabernut View Post
    Wow that's awesome! How long did it take you to write all that up?
    The bulk of it was done in about 3 hours, but it took weeks of tweaking and proofing. The emails between Stickershock and me ended up being larger than Hotmail was able to do as a reply, and a 2nd thread needed to be started.

Is that printed on vinyl? I still don't quite understand how Mark makes full-color pieces like that.

Is that printed on vinyl? I still don't quite understand how Mark makes full-color pieces like that.
    Yup... Printed vinyl. Went on really easy too.

Plugged away on my Binder Design Velociraptor (Líng Dŕo Lóng) .ork file again. Finally managed to get "decals" on it.

This is the full sized version, and not my downscale. It is certainly not stock as it has a custom retainer, a Cineroc style periscope intended for a camera, and has been reverse engineered to closely resemble the prototype (a 38mm powered version), which means that there is no ring for the AV Bay, and screws have been added to match what is seen on the prototype. Another change to the kit is the addition of a drogue chute (to simulate it tumbling) and a pair of Jolly Logic Chute Releases for the main chutes' release (and redundancy).

Oh... And as far as the silver "paint" in the sims, I opted for a solid grey instead of the silver texture to greatly reduce the file size. You might also note a slight grey tint to the talon fins. I did that deliberately to indicate the carved area otherwise it just blends in.

And now here's the "Stock" Single Deploy version of the kit:

One difference to the Stock version is the removal of the bolts that were intended to hold the baffle into the fin can. Mike told me that people don't really use them (opting to epoxy in the baffle), and there has been instances where the body tube was damaged by them when the rocket deployed the parachute after reaching apogee.

[EDIT] Due to problems with OR undoing some of my settings (namely changing the baffles inner diameter to the default diameter, and other updates (like detailed eyebolts, etc.)). I've corrected the .ork files. If you've already downloaded it, I'd recommend downloading them again.
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 27th June 2016 at 09:55 AM.

Ok... Here's one that should be added to the inventory... The Estes Cougar (1923):

Fins are a tad suspect, as the root edge of the fin template are not indicated in the .pdf found on plans.rocketshoppe.com I'm presuming that they're 1 7/8" at the root. All the error messages (Discontinuity, Thick fins, and Jagged-edged fins) are all due to the engine hook. Delete it (and the phantom body tube associated with it), and they'll go away.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by K'Tesh; 7th June 2016 at 04:35 PM.