I'm Tired Of This...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the thing that worries me is that TRF has exactly three ads. A rocketry banner at the top, another general one below that, and one at the bottom.

If AdBlock is blocking six ads, and we only have three, what else are you missing?

Is it blocking some of the content on the page, or people's sigs, or funny pictures, or what?

Strange.

I guess the thing that worries me is that TRF has exactly three ads. A rocketry banner at the top, another general one below that, and one at the bottom.
Plus a couple of ads embedded into posts and several words in posts turned into "infolinks".

I disabled ABP to see what I was missing on TRF, found out, and quickly enabled it again.

Plus a couple of ads embedded into posts and several words in posts turned into "infolinks".

I disabled ABP to see what I was missing on TRF, found out, and quickly enabled it again.

I have always had the three ads - top 2 and bottom. Never had infolinks or embedded ads in posts. Forums loads and runs fast as can be. Just running Chrome and Kaspersky.

Funny all the complaining about ads for a forum that costs money to run. Everyone wants something for free I guess.

I have only seen the ads in posts and the info links when not logged in. If I'm logged in, all I see is the one rocketry ad and the top and bottom banners.

Seriously, the only time I have ever had ads embedded into posts, or inserted "infolinks" it was something that was on MY machine. A quick scan with Ad-Aware cleaned that right up. I spend a lot of time here and since I cleaned up the infection on my machine, I do not *ever* (assuming that I am logged in) see links of any kind other than the banners at the top and bottom.

Not making a grandiose exit or anything, but shoot, advertisements just suck. Trying to read responses to one of the few threads that now interest me, I gotta wait for THIS crap to load... I understand that nothing is free nowadays, but I sure miss the older days of this forum. :(
Scott

Were you logged in when you received this ad? There are only 3 ads on the website if you are logged in as Peartree stated, one internal for rocket vendors and 2 outside ads at the top and bottom of the page. These ads are screened so I'm surprised that one got through the content filter...

Bob

If AdBlock is blocking six ads, and we only have three, what else are you missing?

Is it blocking some of the content on the page, or people's sigs, or funny pictures, or what?

Strange.

I see 6 as blocked on every page, so it's not specific to anything anyone else posts (unless someone posted something that might cause more than 6 to be blocked…. just a quick test shows 6 every time on the pages I tried).

I think I have a clue as to why it is indicating 6 being blocked, when you say there's only 3. In the filter option, which I had not gone into before, there is an option to "Allow some non-intrusive advertising". I checked it to allow, and then ABP showed it was blocking 3 ads, instead of 6 ads. I did not notice any difference on the reloaded page, no ads became visible.

Now technically I have no idea why the 3 ads are apparently double-counted (?), or what ABP is looking for when it is determining what is "non-intrusive" advertising. But that seems to be the big clue why the 3 are counted as 6, unless "non-intrusive" is allowed.

I wish there was a way for the top rocket ad banner to be there, I do not think anyone ever had a problem with that (I see no ads of any kind). But the initial rollout of ads was way overkill, ads embedded into people's individual posts (and images they attached) broke the camel's back, causing the public reaction that it did, which lingers. I'm not complaining at this point, just that's the history/result.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
I wish there was a way for the top rocket ad banner to be there, I do not think anyone ever had a problem with that (I see no ads of any kind). But the initial rollout of ads was way overkill, ads embedded into people's individual posts (and images they attached) broke the camel's back, causing the public reaction that it did, which lingers. I'm not complaining at this point, just that's the history/result.

- George Gassaway

No arguments here. When ads showed up inside members' posts, even the mods and admins complained. I don't know that I would want to stay if I had to look at that every day either.

But as it is now, I barely notice the ads. By the time my computer loads the top banners I have usually already scrolled past them, and I rarely scroll down far enough to see the bottom one.

One of the features of being a supporting member was supposed to be reduced ads. I get the same three that others are reporting. I don't get anything too annoying. Other than the rocketry related stuff, I get Google Adwords stuff in the other two. I can only blame myself for what they deliver. :cool:

when I'm not logged in I get; info links, the 3 banner ads(2 top, 1 bottom), one along the right side of the page, AND ads inserted into individual posts. when logged I get only the top 2 and the bottom 1.
Rex

One of the features of being a supporting member was supposed to be reduced ads. I get the same three that others are reporting. I don't get anything too annoying. Other than the rocketry related stuff, I get Google Adwords stuff in the other two. I can only blame myself for what they deliver. :cool:

I'll have to ask Austin about that. I thought there was supposed to be more of a difference as well. Maybe something isn't working the way it's supposed to work or some "switch" didn't get flipped.

One of the features of being a supporting member was supposed to be reduced ads. I get the same three that others are reporting. I don't get anything too annoying.

Go here and scroll to the bottom to disable the additional adds:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

Oddly enough, I overlooked this at least two times, before Austin pointed me in the right direction.

Other than the rocketry related stuff, I get Google Adwords stuff in the other two. I can only blame myself for what they deliver. :cool:
TMI :p

Reinhard

I don't like ads either but I just deal with it. Love what these guys on TRF don for us.

I installed ABP recently and am pleased as punch with the results. Unfortunately, there is no program of which I am aware that will block flashing avatars and multicolored graphics so I guess I'll just have to live with it.

You just installed the program that fixes the images. Just right click the image and choose what you want to happen. :)

I installed ABP recently and am pleased as punch with the results. Unfortunately, there is no program of which I am aware that will block flashing avatars and multicolored graphics so I guess I'll just have to live with it.
Maybe someday there will be some good TROLLBLOCK software created that stops trolling at the source.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Go here and scroll to the bottom to disable the additional adds:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

Oddly enough, I overlooked this at least two times, before Austin pointed me in the right direction.

TMI :p

Reinhard

Oh! That worked. And yes, TMI. :y:
Mostly though, it's just whatever I was searching or it's related to the thread I'm reading.
The only thing that is regrettable is that the rocket banners disappear also.
Well, I'll try it and see how it works. I might go back because I like the rocket related banner ads. They actually work on me sometimes!

Thank you for pointing that switch out.

I don't see any pop-up ads when I'm on this site. I do know the problem, though. I had it when I was using Chrome. We even got tons of pop up ads on the Post Office's website. That's when I knew the problem lied within and not without. I deleted Chrome, reinstalled a clean copy and haven't had the problem since. Oh, and I was running Symantec Antivirus with regular updates throughout the entire ordeal.

If I don't log in, I gets adds in every post.
As long as I'm logged in all I get is the 2 at the top, and the one at the of the thread on that page.
Tha't why I checked Remember Me, or Keep Me Logged in wherevery I go.
Unless I do browser clean up, I know if someone's tried to use my account by logging me off from my computer.

I'd catch and release. A big bass like that has the right genes to produce more just like it.

Yeah, that's probably the best option. That way others may experience the joy of hooking Old Bucket Mouth again and again. :grin:

No arguments here. When ads showed up inside members' posts, even the mods and admins complained. I don't know that I would want to stay if I had to look at that every day either.

But as it is now, I barely notice the ads. By the time my computer loads the top banners I have usually already scrolled past them, and I rarely scroll down far enough to see the bottom one.

Same here, John - I don't even notice the two ads, even though they are there all the time. I mostly read the forum on my iPad or, occasionally, on my PC laptop using Chrome. I was getting ads all over the place a while back on the pc, then I loaded Malware Bytes and no more.

Yeah, that's probably the best option. That way others may experience the joy of hooking Old Bucket Mouth again and again. :grin:

I only keep fish when I'm deep sea fishing. Everything else gets thrown back.

Back