I'm Tired Of This...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokitflite

Reaction score
Not making a grandiose exit or anything, but shoot, advertisements just suck. Trying to read responses to one of the few threads that now interest me, I gotta wait for THIS crap to load... I understand that nothing is free nowadays, but I sure miss the older days of this forum. :(

20150302_202208[1].jpg

Maybe I'm just naive, but I have no idea what that ad is about. It does look like a sure way to get a computer disease though.

Yep, Add Ad Block Plus

Maybe I'm just naive, but I have no idea what that ad is about. It does look like a sure way to get a computer disease though.
Or.... perhaps some OTHER kind of disease if met in real life..... :)

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Generally at the speed of my connection, I scroll past the advertizements before they are done loading.

The only time I ever see ads like that on this forum is if I am not logged in. The fact that you posted on the forum means you logged in...you shouldn't see those ads. I see exactly 3 ads...two banner ads at the top, one at the bottom. That's it. And the very top banner is specifically rocketry related...nothing wrong with that. The other two banners are small and unobtrusive.

No adblock needed.

FC

FC , then you must have something else blocking ads, the signed in deal don't work like you describe, at least for me anyway. Once I installed adblock+, everything gone.

Last edited:
The only time I ever see ads like that on this forum is if I am not logged in. The fact that you posted on the forum means you logged in...you shouldn't see those ads. I see exactly 3 ads...two banner ads at the top, one at the bottom. That's it. And the very top banner is specifically rocketry related...nothing wrong with that. The other two banners are small and unobtrusive.

No adblock needed.

FC

Same here - I'm not running anything other than popup blocker as part of Chrome and I only get the banner ads at the top and bottom plus the rocketry banner ad in the top header. If you are getting anything more, you might have some adware infecting your machine - I run Malwarebytes and it keeps most of the adware at bay. Before installing that, even with Norton running, I'd get popups and popunders all over the place. Just sayin' ;)

The only downside to Adblock is it also blocks the ads at the top of the page from the rocketry vendors. Those I actually want to see.

Other than that I must be the only person who does not experience notable forum problems. Either that or I am in the distinct minority of those who really don't care if we do.

No adblock needed.

FC

This is all I see too. I'm using Safari on a Mac, and I have popups blocked, but other than that, I have no special ad blocking software installed.

now if there was a way to block annoying animated avatars! I turned off sigs because some of them are so annoying!

I agree with Greg, you may have some malware. I too only see banner ads. I've never seen an ad that obtrusive with those dimensions on this forum.

Regarding the original post, I think you should click the link and find out how this girl is going to start WWIII. I also like the rocketry forum post directly above her, "Very nice looking. I'm sure they fly great too." I am going to assume it refers to her boobs. I doubt they actually fly, but they do seem to float and defy gravity.

attachment.php

I've got nothing but Microsoft Defender on this computer, and all I see are the three banner ads, and the two non-rocket ads at top and bottom are targeted, so they are usually about things that I have some interest in, or close to it. (though right now it thinks I want to see ads about marketing with Microsoft CRM.)

For some reason, all of my ads went away too, but I didn't install anything. Weird.

A trojan you downloaded tried to loot your bank account and discovered you were broke. Having figured this out it saw no point in continuing to waste bandwidth for ads on you.

And... now they're all back. But it's still just the three of them.

No adblock needed.

FC
FC, That seems to be the case with me. When I see people complaining about ads I wonder what they are talking about.

I see complaints about ads all the time and I still don't know what the problem is.

I added Ad Block Plus after the issues arose here and it was recommended.

It's had a big beneficial effect elsewhere. Sometimes ABP tells me, when I go to other sites, that it is blocking over 10 ads, I think maybe a few went past 20 ads blocked! And those are pages that often load pretty slow to begin with…. the ads would make them load even worse.

So my web surfing is better due to ABP minimizing how many ads try to load in most of the sites I go to, so the pages load quicker.

FWIW , ABP shows 5 ads blocked in this thread page.. (Edit - whoops, 6, not 5).

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
I added Ad Block Plus after the issues arose here and it was recommended.

It's had a big beneficial effect elsewhere. Sometimes ABP tells me, when I go to other sites, that it is blocking over 10 ads, I think maybe a few went past 20 ads blocked! And those are pages that often load pretty slow to begin with…. the ads would make them load even worse.

So my web surfing is better due to ABP minimizing how many ads try to load in most of the sites I go to, so the pages load quicker.

FWIW , ABP shows 5 ads blocked in this thread page..

- George Gassaway

+100

I installed ABP, and it's been so wonderful. I see 6 ads being blocked here, and right now it's saying that since I installed it it's blocked 53,438 ads. It's great software IMO

Nate

Last edited:
I just couldn't bear surfing the net without ABP. I'm not even remotely suggesting they should offend everybody, but ads do offend me. I am not a consuming machine, I am curious person who wants to learn more about some specific topics.

My doctor told me ads are detrimental to my mental health. :p

He should probably recommend building rockets too :)

Back