Amazon Echo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Al, I had never heard of it before you mentioned it. I am not sure I have need for it, but seems kind of cool.

I'm pretty sure that the NSA is heavily invested in the development of the Echo.

That would not surprise me. You can get the special Snowden limited edition version that can read your mind at ten feet. I think the appropriate place for it would then be the bathroom.

I never take me cellphone into the bathroom with me. They can record audio and video without warning. Check the permissions of most apps.

They're still working on the telepathy part and hope to have it perfected soon. #ThoughtCrime

It's cool, ergo I need it.

[Special advertisement brought to you by the NSA - Don't worry about your Echo, we stopped advancing our domestic listening when we mastered the microwave oven and our masterpiece...the clock radio]

You can yell at your cell phone from across the room and ask for a weather forecast? Or tell it to play a specific list of songs for you?

I am sure it is just another nifty little diversion. Probably end up like the Google Glass (and I have a pair). I am a sucker for cool technology. Smart phones are so 2013.

We got an Echo for Christmas. It is a cool toy. We have it in the kitchen/living room.

I happen to have a lot of music in the Amazon Cloud so for me it is a great DJ. I just ask, and "Alexa" will play music. I also like listening to radio stations in other cities, through the "Tune-In" radio app. We also use it to keep the grocery list, it is nice just telling her to add __ to the list instead of hunting for paper or the list we started yesterday. My kids like to get her to tell us jokes. She will also spell words for them and do math calculations. I also like being able to ask her what the weather forecast is and get it immediately. I have also used the timer function when cooking, if I am in the middle of cooking something it is nice to use voice commands to set the timer.

I will occasionally tell "Alexa" good morning and ask her how she is doing and she has a response. My wife says I finally found a woman that will listen to me and do what I say. I told her If Alexa had boobs she might be in trouble.;)

It seems to understand my voice with no problem, but my kids voices it has a hard time with.

If it could access my Google Account that would be extremely useful; calendar, email.

Overall very happy with this gadget.

"Alexa, play the Rocketry Show podcast."

-- Roger

I ordered one for the hell of it. Ordered in January, but amazon is saying it won't ship until May.

No idea if I need it. It looked pretty cool though. I figure I can return it or sell it if it ends up being not worth it.

Back