AT 29/120 Motors backordered from AT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4kids49

Taz
Reaction score
Does anyone know why AT 29/120 motors are hard to get from AT? I have had an order in for 3 months with Performance Hobbies. Ken says that he can't get them from AT, and no eta on the horizon. I could probably get them from someone who has them in stock, but I got a great sale from Ken, and would like to keep the order. Just curious if anyone has had a similar problem getting 29/120 motors. I had the reloads in my hands months ago.

I received my BSS ( Nov 29) Wildman order last week.
It was held up due to G 138's from AT.
Apparently they were on Vacation, AT that is.

JD

Yes the Black Friday sales put them WAY behind. It looks like they are pretty well caught up.if Kens orders are like mine the back ordered items should be in his next order.

I received my BSS ( Nov 29) Wildman order last week.
It was held up due to G 138's from AT.
Apparently they were on Vacation, AT that is.

JD

Thanks. Still no sign of 29/120 in AT orders that Ken receives. People were recently complaining about grooves in 29/40 - 120 motors. Maybe there is some quality issue. Maybe I will try and contact AT.

I picked up six G 138's and 1 new 29 mm 40-120 Ns motor.
The new one is different. The color is lighter and the threads are less.
There is a noticeable feel to the groves on the outside of the case but, not on the inside.

The closures are NOT interchangeable between my older cases and this new one!
2015-03-03 20.22.45.jpg

It may not be a quality issue per say.
From time to time material sources change and so do the specs.
I have no idea who actually machines the hardware for AT.
They might have moved to an automated process were one use to be produced by a person?
If they switched that as well???
They might not have had all the instructions needed to reproduce to the same expectations as needed.

JD

Thanks. Still no sign of 29/120 in AT orders that Ken receives. People were recently complaining about grooves in 29/40 - 120 motors. Maybe there is some quality issue. Maybe I will try and contact AT.

29/40-120 always had short threads, not to be confused with the 29/120. Not the same beast.

Those both appear to be 29/40-120 closures. ... And if new ones have different closures than old.....ungh.

29/40-120 always had short threads, not to be confused with the 29/120. Not the same beast.

Thanks. I know the differences. What I should have said was that if there were issues with the 29/40-120, maybe there are issues with the 29/120. All speculation though. All I know is that three months have gone by and no signs of getting 29/120.

There is a noticeable feel to the groves on the outside of the case but, not on the inside.

View attachment 256488

They might have moved to an automated process were one use to be produced by a person?
They might not have had all the instructions needed to reproduce to the same expectations as needed.

JD

Thanks. I was just speculating. Maybe it has something to do with AT picking up the Rouse Tech line of motors. As you mention, I purchased a closure for my 38/720 motor and the vendor had closures that looked like they were from different manufacturers.

View attachment 256488

JD

Are the fore closures the same?? Looks like a new design to make sure the aft closure blows off, before the fore closure or the case bursts.

3 months is pretty bad. I have been waiting almost 4 months for the 38/720, and I am not alone. AT says they are working at increasing their production capacity since taking back all hardware manufacturing from Rouse-Tech. Seems like it would have been a good thing to have that in place first, and not piss off your customers, but that's just my opinion.

The forward closure reflects the same changes; 1 less thread on the closure.
It looks to me as a cost savings venture.
This case would be an entry point into HP.
The G 138-14 is considered a HP reload.

I just hope that these new cases aren't single use...

JD

Are the fore closures the same?? Looks like a new design to make sure the aft closure blows off, before the fore closure or the case bursts.

3 months is pretty bad. I have been waiting almost 4 months for the 38/720, and I am not alone. AT says they are working at increasing their production capacity since taking back all hardware manufacturing from Rouse-Tech. Seems like it would have been a good thing to have that in place first, and not piss off your customers, but that's just my opinion.

I recently got a good deal on a 38/720 in the sale section. I have seen others for sale there also. Something to consider.

Maybe a silly question. Does an Aerotech reload that is labeled as needing a 29/40-120 case fit in a 29/120 case? I have access to the full case and closure set, just not the reload.

Thanks!

One possible reason you're still waiting on a 720 casing is that Aerotech has been out of 38mm seal discs for the past few months. The 720 casings include a seal disc so they've been holding off on shipping the 'complete' casing. I special ordered a 1080 casing and specifically asked that it ship without the seal disc to get in my customers hands sooner rather than later. He already had a seal disc of course, so it wasn't that big of a deal for him. I also requested the missing seal disc ship once available and will hand it to my customer subsequent to that.

For what it's worth, the 29mm seal discs I've received lately have been a mix of black Aerotech and silver RouseTech. I'm guessing they already went through their RouseTech inventory of 38mm seal discs and are waiting on a fresh run.

They must be using up some of their production capabilities for all the TARC teams who need motors.

From what I hear, TARC teams are waiting too. Whatever part(s) are the problem, it's liable to be several more weeks.

That's not good! I'll be interested to hear Aerotech's response to this issue. I've always had good interchangeability between Aerotech, Rouse-Tech, and Dr. Rocket.

I had 29/40-120 aft closures that were not completely interchangeable. They liked some cases better than others. They are at least a year old. Most much older. The slight change in color, the white text instead of the yellow and the ID is not dyed / not anodized? Overall I liked the old ones better, but haven't had a failure yet. I have not used any G128s yet though.

Back