Computer turns off by itself

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Acronis true image comes in two forms. One is a Windows program that you are likely using.

The other is a Linux based form that does not run in windows. This form runs from external media like an external hard drive or most commonly a simple $5 USB memory flash drive. You can create the external boot media from within the windows program if I recall correctly.

To run it you plug the flash drive into your powered off computer and boot from the flash drive. It automatically loads the software and presents the graphical interface. Select your options and start the job, then go home.

Backing up an active system partition while windows is running is a relatively recent invention... Geeks like me still don't entirely trust it because it's not how things were done back in the day. Used to be we HAD to boot an alternate OS to do a full backup.

At least as late as True Image 11 the software gave the option to create the boot media I described.

Here are some images of how to create the bootable media, from within the installed Acronis True Image windows software:

From the main screen:

Acronis Bootable Media.jpg

And make sure you've got the True Image backup software selected to put on the media:

Acronis Bootable Media 2.jpg

Follow prompts and you will have a flash drive that you can use to boot to Acronis True Image, usable on any computer that can boot from a flash drive (Almost all can, in the last few years). Of course you will still need your external hard drive as a backup destination, but the actual program runs from the flash drive.

I've created boot disks with the Windows based software. Never restored from it though.

My PC at work has lots of devices in all the slots.
I would come into work and every other day it would be shutdown.
I figured my power supply was too small.
I increased it about 20% and the problem went away.
Make sure your auto Win updates are setup for you to install, not auto install and reboot or shutdown.
My wife's laptop use to shutdown all the time while she was using it.

I'm not sure what you mean. I run a full backup every day to an external hard drive.

Why a full backup everyday? Honestly not needed. Run a full backup once a week max, and then daily scheduled backups of the data. The data is where it is at- Windows and apps are easy but lose your data and you are screwed.

Acronis works!

I used it to clone my old SSD when I upgraded to a larger one.
I can't remember if it was the stand alone or the WD version???

JD

Back