Rocket theme alert!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDcluster

Reaction score
The just ran a preview for Sat episode of " What can possibly go Wrong".
They will be building rocket skates.
Science channel Sat 10 PM EST

JD

Shouldn't be any worse than Rocket City Rednecks. They're idiots on both shows.

I did not know this show even existed. I'll check it out.

BTW - for those searching, the name is "What could possibly go wrong?"

I had an open mind about Rocket City Rednecks, until very quickly into the very first episode they started to be very misleading (Alky-Haul as a new rocket fuel NASA never tried, when vonBraun used it for the V-2 and the Jupiter-C/Juno-I that put the first U.S. satellite into orbit). And the "hybrid" alcohol/Nitrous motor they used was a commercially-made Tri-Hybrid that they bought and lied about being one they had built themselves. Then the "Safety thurrrd", and electronic ejection charge going off in people's faces, (and the electronic charges never fired onboard a rocket in flight, not in a single episode, ever).

So, I'm not expecting much, but I won't assume the worst either. I see that the first episode was about building an extreme trash can rocket. Could not be any worse than converting a real snowmobile to fly as a rocket, could it? :) Or an outhouse?

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Update - Realized I had On Demand access to previous episodes. So I saw the first episode. The info said "Kevin and Grant push the physics of flight to build an extreme trash can rocket"

GRANT? Grant Imahara? Formerly of Mythbusters?

Uh, no, some other guy named Grant.

So far, it does not seem bad, just not great. I think worth checking out more, unless you just do not find it to be your cup of tea.

Using a 5 star rating, with Mythbusters being 5, and Rocket City Rednecks being zero, I'd give it 2.5 to 3. Subject to change with viewing later episodes… especially the rocket skateboard episode.

Now, the trash can "rocket" was not really rocket powered. It was more like the old trick of using a tin can with firecrackers or cherry bomb inside, so the explosion blows the can vertically into the air. o, they tested with homemade huge Cherry bombs, and other tricks to make an explosion go off inside to fling the unpowered trash can into the air. Including pouring some liquid nitrogen into a large plastic bottle, so when the nitrogen boil-off overpressurized the bootle, the "boom" had a result (won't say what as it'd be a spoiler)

The cans had fins and "nose cone" (aluminum bowl) attached so they flew stably…. when they flew.

- George Gassaway

Back