Laminating epoxies?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDcluster

Reaction score
Everyone talks about doing laminations but, not the epoxy that they use.

I have used West Systems, Aeropoxy to date.
Starting to lean towards Aeropoxy.

I was doing some research and came upon another:
Resin Research epoxy
https://www.resinresearch.net/

They say they have a UV stablizer.
Has anyone used it?

JD

Have not tried the one you mention.

I use US Composites 635 almost exclusively. I have used the hobby bottle finishing epoxy for real small jobs.

+1 for US Composites 635. I use the 3:1 medium hardener. Really great stuff.

I've also used the Zpoxy finishing/laminating resin. Not really great stuff.

I've also got Aeropoxy and West System; to date they have been pretty good for most of my glassing needs. But I've been starting to work on RC glider wings (for RCBG competition) and the DLG pros like Pro-Set which gives longer working time for doing vacuum bagging layups. It's pretty expensive...Aircraft Spruce sells it https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/proset125-229.php

Have not tried the one you mention.

I use US Composites 635 almost exclusively. I have used the hobby bottle finishing epoxy for real small jobs.

+1 for US Composites 635. Both medium and fast hardeners. Silica for thickener Chopped glass if strength is needed in fillets.

I just bought a qt kit of the Resin research and their additive for surface leveling and sanding ease.
It' has a "brightener" in it to help the final surface finish pop.
They also had some other items I needed.

JD

I have not used it- I have been an Aeropoxy guy for about 15 years or so, and while I would consider other epoxies I am comfortable and happy with the Aeropoxy.

I have not used it- I have been an Aeropoxy guy for about 15 years or so, and while I would consider other epoxies I am comfortable and happy with the Aeropoxy.

Same here. The only difference is I have been using it about half that length of time.

Greg

And we have a winner!

The number one reason to use what you do. Even if it is an incredible misapplication and wrong in oh so many ways!
I don't get it. What's wrong with Aeropoxy for laminating? I'm a huge fan of the US Composites 3:1 and 4:1 but I think Aeropoxy is an extremely nice product although I've only used the thick Aeropoxy.
-Ken

I use MGS, and System 2000, and West. MGS for laminating (best properties for a room temperature curable and very nice with a bit of post cure). System 2000 for mold making (I had a cheap supply of multiple gallons). West as a glue in low temp areas. It's low Tg would prevent me from choosing it for other applications. It's better for wood and boats.

Gerald

A former boat builder turned rocket guy told me the same about West Systems....

JD

I use MGS, and System 2000, and West. MGS for laminating (best properties for a room temperature curable and very nice with a bit of post cure). System 2000 for mold making (I had a cheap supply of multiple gallons). West as a glue in low temp areas. It's low Tg would prevent me from choosing it for other applications. It's better for wood and boats.

Gerald

I used west on my recent projects. 1/2 inch 9 ply baltic birch plus 2 layers of CF on each side. Vacuum bagged with a gast pump for 2.5 hours. Heat soaked for 12 hours at 100 to 110 degrees after that. End result was a 9/16 inch lamination. given the thickness of the CF I actually got some compression on the plywood.

I use US Composites and Aereopoxy. I have never had a issue with US Composites when I do a room temperature cure. It flows and adheres well. I have also heat cured (1 hour) US Composites without any problem. I do think Aeropoxy flows and saturates the cloth CF or FG a little better than US Composites. I mainly buy US Composites because it works well and cost less than Aeropoxy. I am planning to build a curing oven to cure around 185 degrees and plan to use Aeropoxy. The reason for using Aeropoxy is I can find heat cure and post cure information on the internet. I have not see anything about heat curing US Composites. I think either epoxy will do the job just depends on personal preference and cost. I do like the unique smell of Aeropoxy but my wife tells me I'm strange and she may be right!!!

I used Mr. Fiberglass for years, which I believe was a rebrand of US Composites. The epoxy worked great as a laminate, a structural, and even for a binder of KN based fuels. Mine is almost gone and is aged now, so I will need to replace it soon.

Another vote for USComposites 635 3:1 and 4:1, but I agree with the others who simply say "use what you like". My main driver is cost, and you can't beat the price!

+1 US Composites great stuff for rocketeers on a budget. (Mines about $40 per month plus whatever additional I can get hold of).
I use the 635 3:1 and add fillers when needed.

Last edited:
I tried resin research for the first time the other day.
I used it as a top / clear coat on carbon fiber. It came out OK but have yet to use it for laminating.

JD

Back