Wildman Sport info..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
Got a Wildman Sport kit for my birthday. WooHoo. Santa Clause was running a couple months behind. My first fiberglass build. I've done all the sanding needed and the dry fit. Now I am ready for assembly but thought I would get some advice and opinions from the good folks here first.

I read in a build instruction thread to use an Aeropack RA29P retainer. Has anyone used a Slimline or PML HAMR with Wildman kits? I like the fine threads on the HAMR better than the Aeropack, but that is just splitting hairs.

I want a parachute that is something other than a piece of flat fabric with strings attached. Anyone know of any reasonably priced hemispherical chutes? Looking at Topflight Crossfire or X Type parachute. I'm not paying 50 plus for a fruity chute.

I have got about 25 foot of 3/16" bungee cord. Could I use about 10 foot of that for my shock cord? I have some kevlar thread to use to attach it via swivels.

Thanks,
Mike

Got a Wildman Sport kit for my birthday. WooHoo. Santa Clause was running a couple months behind. My first fiberglass build. I've done all the sanding needed and the dry fit. Now I am ready for assembly but thought I would get some advice and opinions from the good folks here first.

I read in a build instruction thread to use an Aeropack RA29P retainer. Has anyone used a Slimline or PML HAMR with Wildman kits? I like the fine threads on the HAMR better than the Aeropack, but that is just splitting hairs.

I want a parachute that is something other than a piece of flat fabric with strings attached. Anyone know of any reasonably priced hemispherical chutes? Looking at Topflight Crossfire or X Type parachute. I'm not paying 50 plus for a fruity chute.

I have got about 25 foot of 3/16" bungee cord. Could I use about 10 foot of that for my shock cord? I have some kevlar thread to use to attach it via swivels.

Thanks,
Mike
I would not use the bungee cord. Spend the few dollars and get 1/4" Kevlar cord from Wildman. As far as a chute, I am a fan of the type chute, just know that they are less efficient as a similar sized chute. What about a 20" recon chute from Wildman? I fly my sport with a 24" standard chute. Mine is built minimum diameter with no motor mount and all the recovery gear has to fit in the nose and a very small payload section. Have fun with it and post some build pictures.

I had looked at the recon chutes and intended to shoot em an email to get more info on them...slipped my mind. I am going to order some 1/4" kevlar anyway, was just curious about the bungee.

Minimum diameter huh...I bet that thing screams...good lord.

I would use 1/8" or 1/4" kevlar for the shock cord and would use 15-20 ft. I haven't tried one personally, but spherachute might be an option for a chute.

I would use 1/8" or 1/4" kevlar for the shock cord and would use 15-20 ft. I haven't tried one personally, but spherachute might be an option for a chute.

I got 20 foot of 1/4" kevlar and a 10 foot 1/2" Nylon tether on the way from Rocketry Warehouse. Planning on using a few foot of kevlar and attach the nylon one to it. I've looked at the Spherachutes and that is probably what I will go with. I like the looks of em. They are cheaper than any other chute of the same size save for flat chutes and plenty of color options. Cheaper shipping too. I am holding off on the chute until I get the rocket built and weighed though. I'll order the chute while I am working on the finish.

The folks at PML said the ID of the HAMR 29 was 1.265" and I mic'd the OD of the MMT at 1.25" so it should fit nicely. Tim at Wildman said it should fit as well so I got me a HAMR 29 on the way from Sirius Rocketry.

I'll get a build thread up soon. Thanks guys.
Mike

Back