parachute fits in airframe tightly

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
Is it ok if the parachute fits in the airframe tightly? I have a 60" military surplus chute that packs but when a nomex protector was wrapped around it as well as the shock cords, the whole package fits into the 3" airframe somewhat tightly, I have to push it in with a stick. Will this cause deployment failure?

.... I have to push it in with a stick. Will this cause deployment failure?

Yes, deployment failure is pretty likely. At the very least you should do repeated ground tests to be sure, but I'd be VERY uncomfortable having a chute packed that tightly. I suppose you could up your ejection charge enough that it would push most anything out, but this is not a great idea.

Chances are you could pack that chute better. There are methods that produce better results than others (see Fruity Chutes for a good example of how to do it right).

Do NOT fly it like it is and just hope that it works - you REALLY need to be sure.

s6

Try using the method in the "sticky" at the top of the forum. It might make the size a little smaller.Then ground test to make sure. Saving money of the chute and losing the rocket (or hurting someone)is not a good trade.

Are you doing cable cutter dual deploy? If not, then you can stuff the nomex and most of the recovery harness down the body tube before the chute, leaving more space. On my cert rocket, I had a similar problem, solved by carefully packing the chute into a long narrow bundle instead of a shorter fatter bundle.

Yea, I tried that, fits better but I tested it by trying to push the chute out from under it, and it takes about the same amount of force as it takes to remove the nosecone (I made the nosecone fit a bit tight so it doesn't come off on its own)

Back