24mm Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Performance nut

Reaction score
I got one of the Estes kits wanting to modify it for 24mm rather than 18mm. Upon inspection, found that they used plastic centering rings. What's worse is that everything is based on using those centering rings (TTW plastic fins). The plastic fin tabs are way too short to reach the MMT, so replacing the centering rings would require significant modifications.

So I was trying to think of creative ways of keeping the plastic centering rings and modify them for 24mm; however, they are thick plastic limiting my options. I don't trust myself to use my dremel to get the level of accuracy to increase the diameter 6mm, I'll likely make it out of round and/or too big. Sand paper is an option I considered; however, it will take a very long time with this plastic.

Any ideas?

I got one of the Estes kits wanting to modify it for 24mm rather than 18mm. Upon inspection, found that they used plastic centering rings. What's worse is that everything is based on using those centering rings (TTW plastic fins). The plastic fin tabs are way too short to reach the MMT, so replacing the centering rings would require significant modifications.

So I was trying to think of creative ways of keeping the plastic centering rings and modify them for 24mm; however, they are thick plastic limiting my options. I don't trust myself to use my dremel to get the level of accuracy to increase the diameter 6mm, I'll likely make it out of round and/or too big. Sand paper is an option I considered; however, it will take a very long time with this plastic.

Any ideas?

You could just do away with all that nonsense and make the Fins out of Wood of your choice.
Then just make the new motor mount however suits you.

You could just do away with all that nonsense and make the Fins out of Wood of your choice.
Then just make the new motor mount however suits you.

That was the part about "significant modifications". :D

Likely the best route honestly. There is a lot of plastic in here, probably end up being lighter.

Buy the new kit that is coming out since it has the standard cardstock centering rings.

John Boren

Can you buy just the capsule and tower?

My tower broke off, couldn't find the piece that broke off

Pretty sure the new kit is out as I recall someone on here saying they just got one. As far as I know you cannot buy just the capsule and tower. When I've tried to get replacement parts from Estes recently they've just sent me a kit explaining that everything now is prepackaged where they are made and they do not stock spare parts anymore. So I assume you can only buy the whole kit.

Whatever you do, make sure to add noseweight. The M.R. is not all that stable, so the mass of a 24mm motor is almost certain to make it too tail heavy to be stable.

How much noseweight? Find out where the CG is for a M.R. with a C6. Add enough weight to make it balance at least that far forward.

- George Gassaway

Thanks for the tip concerning nose weight. I'll sim it to see how much I need, if any.

I went stock, I wanted a larger engine more for effect and choices for engines. Though I must say, I'm not impressed with the kit at all. It is a very easy kit to assemble but it looks awful if you follow the instructions. The fins and body tube are different colors of white, the tower is a funky red (especially if you paint the capsule flat black) and the spirals in the BT are noticeable. I had to stray from the instructions just to keep the kit respectable looking.

I hope the new kit does a better job or at least puts steps to make it look better.

... Though I must say, I'm not impressed with the kit at all. It is a very easy kit to assemble but it looks awful if you follow the instructions. The fins and body tube are different colors of white, the tower is a funky red (especially if you paint the capsule flat black) and the spirals in the BT are noticeable....
Paint is needed on just about all model rocket kits, along with wood filler for spirals if you don't want them to show. Standard practice for anything Skill level 1 and above.

Latest posts

Back