Venders running dry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcidPaintball

Reaction score
I have been shopping around lately and number if venders are basically out of stock of everything. Is this normal for this hobby or just bad timing on the time of year?

Basically I was shopping for kits, Kevlar cords, and some misc items. But especially the kits (not estes kits) almost everyone is out, which kind of bummed me out.

Which vendors and which kits? I haven't really had any troubles finding what I need.

I have been shopping around lately and number if venders are basically out of stock of everything. Is this normal for this hobby or just bad timing on the time of year?

Basically I was shopping for kits, Kevlar cords, and some misc items. But especially the kits (not estes kits) almost everyone is out, which kind of bummed me out.

If you know what you are looking for and can't find it from venders, you might advertise, on the forum, what you are looking for... It's worked for me in the past. Who knows, you may get a response from a vender or someone who has the parts or kit you're looking for and having second thoughts on building the kit..

What types of kits? While you state "not Estes" you have not indicated LPR/MPR/HPR or types (3FNC/SciFi/Scale/Oddball/FG/Cardboard tube). Or if you are looking for a specific kit.

Looking around vendor sites there seems to be a ton of possibilities out there........

Well normally when I go and pick up some stuff for rocketry I will grab multiple items to help offset the cost of shipping.
So currently I am in the need of AeroPack 24P and 29P retainers, also I am in the market for chutes and nomex protectors. While trying to find these all from one person is nearly impossible and trying to toss a few rocket kits in I found some vendors nearly have nothing in stock. Some kits ive been getting into lately are TLP, sunward, us rockets, and whatever might grab my eye.

I hate to throw any vender under the bus, so I wont list them. But one had me worried from even ordering from. I placed an order with performancehobbies.com and the paypal style of ordering he has on this site is different. A few days later I sent an email via his website and the email bounced back to me stating its not a valid email address. So I researched the site on google and found an thread from last year his email was hacked, so I canceled my order via PP due to no way of communication with this vendor. Now I have to start all over finding my order that i need. ugh.

I don't have Aeropack but I do have the new A/T 29 retainer. Also I carry some of the none Estes kits like US Rockets, Odd'l, New Way to mention a few.

Well normally when I go and pick up some stuff for rocketry I will grab multiple items to help offset the cost of shipping.
So currently I am in the need of AeroPack 24P and 29P retainers, also I am in the market for chutes and nomex protectors. While trying to find these all from one person is nearly impossible and trying to toss a few rocket kits in I found some vendors nearly have nothing in stock. Some kits ive been getting into lately are TLP, sunward, us rockets, and whatever might grab my eye.

I hate to throw any vender under the bus, so I wont list them. But one had me worried from even ordering from. I placed an order with performancehobbies.com and the paypal style of ordering he has on this site is different. A few days later I sent an email via his website and the email bounced back to me stating its not a valid email address. So I researched the site on google and found an thread from last year his email was hacked, so I canceled my order via PP due to no way of communication with this vendor. Now I have to start all over finding my order that i need. ugh.

Next time call/text him. He will get back to you really fast...

Last edited:
Well then I will try and fix this paypal problem and give the guy a ring.
Does his phone number on his site work?

I don't have Aeropack but I do have the new A/T 29 retainer. Also I carry some of the none Estes kits like US Rockets, Odd'l, New Way to mention a few.

Thanks Bob, but I need also the 24P. They are for a few fiberglass kits that i got.

I've just noticed odd omissions in some vendors product selections rather than them being out of stock of something. I've probably ordered from 3-4 different vendors for my HPR build because one vendor has a few things, but then lacks something else that you'd figure they would carry given the breadth of their other offerings.

There is nothing "normal" about this hobby. However, I'm hoping that inventories of all goods in stock by vendors will increase sometime in mid November of 2016.

Performance Hobbies phone/text #; 202-723-8257

His new email too. He'll respond really quick.

Email address removed. Please PM to obtain address. Posting email addresses on the forum are a quick way to get you email filled with spam.

If you want ken's email address, pm the above poster. I removed it from the post to help ken avoid some spam.

I wonder how many people will recognize this for the political commentary it is.

There is nothing "normal" about this hobby. However, I'm hoping that inventories of all goods in stock by vendors will increase sometime in mid November of 2016.

I've noticed a shortage of Aerotech motors nearly everywhere and, especially, Aerotech reloads on Hobbylinc. It's like they're getting out of the business of even carrying them as the listings are simply gone and not just listed as "out of stock."

Had multi issues with performance hobby.
His site has many broken things on it and I am starting not to trust it. Email on it doesnt work, contact me doesnt work, and checking out goes to an invalid paypay account which he doesnt have access too. I tried to work though these issues with him via text/phone, but end of the day if you make it hard for me to spend money with you i will spend it some place else, which i did.

I had to use multi venders for everything i needed, but i got the job done.

15 new kits, 3 fruity chutes, 4 motor retainers, 3 nomex protectors, few hundred feed of Kevlar, ebay electronics, new battery for my 12v launcher, and noisy sound maker thingy for sound tracking.

Only thing I am missing is a ton of 24mm motors for the 2015 season. WOOT!

I've noticed a shortage of Aerotech motors nealrly everywhere and, especially, Aerotech reloads on Hobbylinc. It's like they're getting out of the business of even carrying them as the listings are simply gone and not just listed as "out of stock."
Aerotech got swamped on Black Friday orders (I was one of the problems). As they don't have a motor making machine it takes them longer to fill orders so they were swamped with back orders. My order I received a week ago contained my last back ordered items. The pipe line is starting to refill.

As they don't have a motor making machine it takes them longer to fill orders so they were swamped with back orders.
This may have caused Hobbylinc to simply drop their reloads instead of perpetually listing them as out of stock; no way to know for sure. It would be nice if they automated the manufacturing process, but maybe it's not safe enough or cost effective otherwise they would have done so already assuming, of course, proper management.

Back