My L1 Flight @ Snow Ranch!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caruolo

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Some of you may have seen my 2-in-1 day certification thread (https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...Flights-for-NAR-on-same-day&highlight=caruolo) that I posted a few weeks back, but sadly I couldn't do both flights on the same day.

However, I completed my L1 flight on my Loc Vulcanite on 2-14-15, code-named "Knoop MKI"!

Here I am with my friend (I'm on the right):
_dsc5030.jpg

Video of Flight:
[video=youtube;q8UqE6P_jDw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8UqE6P_jDw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Success!
_dsc5078.jpg

This poor worms' life was the trade-off to getting my L1 :(
_dsc5079.jpg

And finally, what's to come for my L2! Planned launch for first Saturday of April!
_dsc5281.jpg

Really excited to finally start some of my own high powered rocketry!

Alexis Thoeny

Attachments

• _dsc5030.jpg
    _dsc5030.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 108
Awesome! Keep an eye out there for myself, SCrocketfan, qquake and many others!

Ha, I just replied to your other thread. :facepalm:

Hey, I thought you were going to fly a Vertical Assault for your level 2?

Thanks @crossfire @rc dude @accpool and @watermelonman!

Well done. Nice looking rocket too.

Thanks, I'm very proud of how she came out as well :]

@Bat-mite: That is correct, my original plan was to fly a Giant Leap VA, but it ended up being on back-order from the Holiday rush, and when I saw this thread on the Hyperloc 1600, https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?121716-Hyperloc-1600-L3-build&highlight=hyperloc+1600 I just had to make one as well, albeit for my L2 instead of the traditional L3!

Congratulations!

I've been eyeing a Hyperloc 1600 for a while... one of these days...

Later!

--Coop

View attachment 256331

I was pretty sure I'd snagged a picture of the Knoop Mk I being prepped while I was "assisting" TRF member rbelknap with his King Kraken's initial dual deploy flight off pad 31. And I found it.

On pad 33 was a group headed up by TRF member tfish flying an all glass rocket named "Cougar".

You were right in the middle of the TRF Away Team! :grin:

We need some TRF t-shirts.

Congratulations! Now go do your L2. :)
Is that a Binder kit you're flying?

That is indeed me, o1d_dude!

Thanks AlnessW, the L1 rocket was a LOC vulcanite, the L2 is a LOC Hyperloc 1600

03/07/15?

I plan on launching on 4-4-15.

All I'm waiting on is for my Stratologger CF to come in, and to prime/paint.

Do you think I should do a low flight with a J540 (2300ft), or a higher altitude flight on a K1100 (3700ft)?

I think you should fly the field and the weather. The higher flight would be my preference, but you have to consider conditions. I did my L2 cert flight on a K695 to 6,424. That's the biggest thing I learned after getting my L2, flying the field and conditions with the higher altitudes the larger motors get.

Last edited:
I plan on launching on 4-4-15.

All I'm waiting on is for my Stratologger CF to come in, and to prime/paint.

Do you think I should do a low flight with a J540 (2300ft), or a higher altitude flight on a K1100 (3700ft)?

Cool. Do you have any flights planned for Saturday?

There is the time honored tradition of first flights and certifications on lower levels of power, but some like to let it rip. It is all about what you are comfortable with. I say this while debating between I236 and J595 for the first flight of my Punisher, big difference there! There is no right or wrong until after you try, hah.

I think you should fly the field and the weather. The higher flight would be my preference, but you have to consider conditions. That's the biggest thing I learned after getting my L2, flying the field and conditions with the higher altitudes the larger motors get.

Absolutely! For the record my L1 and L2 hit about 4k and 8k on this field. Saturday looks like similar weather to that day, though I hear April gets real windy.

Cool. Do you have any flights planned for Saturday?

There is the time honored tradition of first flights and certifications on lower levels of power, but some like to let it rip. It is all about what you are comfortable with. I say this while debating between I236 and J595 for the first flight of my Punisher, big difference there! There is no right or wrong until after you try, hah.

I'm planning on lauching my L1 Vulcanite a few times.

Still undecided about the motor :p

Back