How to center something

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
I'm working on an upscale X-Ray. I want to paint it with the same scheme as the original. So I need to paint some tapered black stripes on the transition. I printed out some guides to help me mask it, but I've run into a problem. Other than eyeballing it, is there a better way to center the two guides to each other?

378_transition.jpg

379_transition.jpg

340_primer.jpg

1218_79.jpg

1218_front1979.jpg

I am sure there are better ways, but I think what I would do is on a piece of paper draw a circle the same diameter as your small end and draw a straight line through the center of the circle. Then
lay the transition on the paper lining up the transition in the circle. Then I would stand a tri-square or rafter square or similar along the line on the paper and rotate the transition until a paint edge lines up with the square, then transfer the line from the paper to the small diameter.

343c1a6f-401f-4471-903a-05815670f504_300.jpg
1c3cd5ac-bc28-4f76-8f7b-c4b884c4da2b_400.jpg

You could print out a full scale profile shot of the transition, paste it to a flat sheet of foamboard, cut it out, hold it up to the pattern you will use as a reference, square the foamboard pattern to the transition and then mark the reference location on the other end.

OTOH, what Fatboy said about the combo square.

I think your square idea would work, but I'd have to have the centers marked of two of the dark squares, one of the narrow and one of the wide.

It looks pretty good to me, but I'm just anal enough that if it's noticeable after I paint it, it will bug me incessantly.

380_transition.jpg

381_transition.jpg

382_transition.jpg

383_transition.jpg

384_transition.jpg

385_transition.jpg

386_transition.jpg

387_transition.jpg

388_transition.jpg

389_transition.jpg

I just don't know. Why do I obsess over such trivialities?

390_transition.jpg

391_transition.jpg

392_transition.jpg

I think I'm going for it. The worst that can happen is that I get counselling for my OCD.

393_transition.jpg

394_transition.jpg

395_transition.jpg

I just don't know. Why do I obsess over such trivialities?

Detailer oriented. The ability to savor the deed and take the time needed to make it right, not just rush threw it to get it done. Pride in you work.
In the managment coarse my old employer put us threw, it's known as a High D personality.
Unable to make daring decissions without enough data.
Unable to pass over complicated functions without fully understand why.
I was told that is what I was.

Detailer oriented. The ability to savor the deed and take the time needed to make it right, not just rush threw it to get it done. Pride in you work.
In the managment coarse my old employer put us threw, it's known as a High D personality.
Unable to make daring decissions without enough data.
Unable to pass over complicated functions without fully understand why.
I was told that is what I was.

I'm actually a lot like that, especially about making decisions.

It's certainly far from perfect. But it did turn out better than I expected. I'm happy with it.

399_stripes.jpg

400_stripes.jpg

401_stripes.jpg

402_stripes.jpg

403_stripes.jpg

404_stripes.jpg

405_stripes.jpg

Are you serious? That looks awesome! If I had tried that.... I would have just said "screw it" and ditched the black line... :)

I was going to write, "Skip the paint and get a wrap." But that looks awesome. Congrats!

It looks pretty good to me, but I'm just anal enough that if it's noticeable after I paint it, it will bug me incessantly.

LOL you and me both! Nothing worse than stuff that doesn't line up properly!

I had an idea a while back to make a cradle with a V at each end and a laser like this -

LineLaser.JPG

Mounted on a piece of dowel or similar above, with the line going between each of the V's - so whatever you put in the cradle, the laser will naturally draw a straight line that you can then trace with a pencil. The lasers run quite happily off 2xAA batteries.

I got as far as ordering a laser from ebay, but the project is still sitting in my 'to-do' pile... Hmm... Might do that as my next project!

Krusty

It's certainly far from perfect. But it did turn out better than I expected. I'm happy with it.

It looks just fine. I fellow once told me, "always remember that perfect is the enemy of good enough".

There are also LED laser disks that mount to the side if Skillsaws which one could imagine being built into an updated version of a square that works with irregular shapes.

Back