MAJOR FAIL: "Have we sent probes...? "

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The jist of my comment is based on the belief that for a person to get to sit on national tv and interview a former astronaut, they should (unless it's a kids program hosted by kids) have successfully made it through college. To get to college, they must have made it through the public education system (or equivalent). In such a system, science should have been taught, and everyone above the age of 17 should know that space is VAST, and the distances between stars are phenomenal.

BTW, I wasn't watching the program per se, I was eating lunch and watching what my landlord had on.

BTW, the same reporter also pointed out the crew of Star Trek in front of the Enterprise Space Shuttle, prior to its "launch". :facepalm:

Sad...

On second thought, maybe she was an idiot! :facepalm: :facepalm:

BTW and before I forget, I happened to catch this program this morning on the over the air Fox affliate, Channel 4 from Dallas. Now I understand it is fashionable to knock Fox by some of our more enlightened members, this little doll puts the lie to that blanket contention.

https://www.emilycalandrelli.com/about/

Beauty and brains, and on Fox!

I just wish that the reporter would have spent more time researching her story... Perhaps with something a little newer than this:

Black-Hole-Movie-.jpg

It's another major fail for FOX 'reporters' too.

Reporters from "other" journalistic outlets do the same things. Fox is like any other news outlet, some reporters are good and some are bad. NPR has their share too...

My Bad...

Ok... I'm sorry, I misheard the reporter's question... She didn't ask "Have we sent any probes to investigate these black holes?"

She actually asked:
Have we actually sent any probes into these black holes to see what lies beyond, and are we waiting for information to come back?
:facepalm: :facepalm:

and the Star Trek reference is to the "debut launch of the spaceship Enterprise".

The question is right around 1:00 in the video. Star Trek was said around 3:55.

[video]https://insider.foxnews.com/2015/02/28/scientists-discover-black-hole-12-billion-times-larger-sun[/video]

This is why I used the large bolded word "IDIOT"...

It just seemed to fit.

Last edited:
Definitely wears too much eye shadow. I enjoyed her "try and wrap your brain around that" comment. Hey, what do you want, A rocket Scientist? :rant:

One particular news network (and its print affiliates) is dedicated to ridiculing and tearing down science, bitching about its tax cost, and stir up paranoia in its viewers against 'them pointy-headed intelleckshuals who went to kolledge and think there so damn smart. They all act like I'm a Moe-Ron because I got C-Minuses in Junior High Science.'

The typical science report on that network might include a search for NEO asteroids and the bimbos and bozos on the morning "Friends" show yuck-yucking about how they thought we already sent Bruce Willis up to blast it, why we gotta spend more tax money on it now??

America hasn't had "news" for 10 years. I watch BBC, DW and NHK

10 seconds in she says that it was found "in our solar system". So if she was told that's where the black hole was discovered then maybe that's why she thinks they could send in a probe? Maybe?

But if that's true then you've got to wonder why she thinks a black hole could exist in our solar system.

Clearly, if you're going to have someone interview an astronaut on your news show then put someone in there that can ask questions intelligently. Save her for when someone needs to ask politicians why they support some bill or why they're running for some office.

As though FOX would hire anyone with any science knowledge

And any of the other broadcasters are better? They all hire talking heads- they can read teleprompters and that is about it. Same with some of the Presidents we have had- they cannot form a cogent sentence without a TelePrompter.

10 seconds in she says that it was found "in our solar system". So if she was told that's where the black hole was discovered then maybe that's why she thinks they could send in a probe? Maybe?

But if that's true then you've got to wonder why she thinks a black hole could exist in our solar system.

Clearly, if you're going to have someone interview an astronaut on your news show then put someone in there that can ask questions intelligently. Save her for when someone needs to ask politicians why they support some bill or why they're running for some office.

Yeah! I just watched the Clip that K'Tesh posted. She does'nt have a clue!!! I can't tolerate people like that!
I prefer FOX News over the others, but it's still just a News Show, so I remain free to criticize them in a fair and balanced fashion.

Last edited:
This question about probes and black holes was a perfect opportunity for Tom Jones to say something about Uranus.

This question about probes and black holes was a perfect opportunity for Tom Jones to say something about Uranus.

Oh C**P it starts...

If anybody says a word about Klingons... be assured that my friends in the Empire will more than happy to WIPE THEM OUT!!!

Klingon_Symbol_001.jpg

Last edited:

I noticed that too... However, I think she was trying to specify the sun in our solar system, and not that this supermassive black hole was found in our solar system. So, I let that one slide.

Then again... she COULD have ASSumed that it was found in our solar system (next to Uranus).

Last edited:
I asked Tom Jones how often he is asked these kinds of stupid questions. He said:

It's not unusual to be asked by someone dumb
It's not unusual to have fun with someone dumb
but when I see you hanging about with someone dumb
It's not unusual to see me cry,
oh I wanna' die

I asked Tom Jones how often he is asked these kinds of stupid questions. He said:

It's not unusual to be asked by someone dumb
It's not unusual to have fun with someone dumb
but when I see you hanging about with someone dumb
It's not unusual to see me cry,
oh I wanna' die

:rofl:

I also asked Tom Jones what he thought about this reporter. His answer:

Well she's all you'd ever want,
She's the kind they'd like to flaunt and put on TV.
Well she always knows her place.
She's got style, she's got grace, She's on TV.
She's a Lady. Whoa whoa whoa, Fox News Lady.
Talkin' about that little lady, and the lady's on Fox.

On a clear, moonless night far away from city lights, one can look up into the Milky Way and see the Andromeda Galaxy with the naked eye. Science tells us that this object is some 2.5 million light years distant. Our star, the Sun, is a mere eight light minutes distant, which means if one could travel at the speed of light one could travel the 93 million miles to the Sun in just eight minutes.

Just imagine this: when one gazes into space at the Andromeda Galaxy, you are seeing it not as it is but as it was...2.5 million years ago. So how can one be sure if it is really "there"? :eyepop:

On a clear, moonless night far away from city lights, one can look up into the Milky Way and see the Andromeda Galaxy with the naked eye. Science tells us that this object is some 2.5 million light years distant. Our star, the Sun, is a mere eight light minutes distant, which means if one could travel at the speed of light one could travel the 93 million miles to the Sun in just eight minutes.

Just imagine this: when one gazes into space at the Andromeda Galaxy, you are seeing it not as it is but as it was...2.5 million years ago. So how can one be sure if it is really "there"? :eyepop:

Or that the sun didn't explode 7.5 minutes ago?????

Well, the forum timeout made me wait 30 seconds to post again, so I'm happy to report that it didn't.

All of this is why I don't watch the news. Every report that I know (Or think I know) something about has too many errors and blunders to have any meaning. So my assumption is that the reports that I know nothing about are also as void of facts. So there is nothing trustworthy on any news channel. It's all really something to sell ads.

It's all really something to sell ads.

Ding ding ding!

TV is entirely a way to sell ads. There are rare exceptions (public broadcasting which generally doesn't try to sell the consumer anything, though companies buy PR slots at the beginning of some shows...). But, the product of commercial TV is shareholder returns. The fact that there may be some "content" squeezed in between the commercials that is of interest to the viewers is only incidental.

Ding ding ding!

TV is entirely a way to sell ads. There are rare exceptions (public broadcasting which generally doesn't try to sell the consumer anything, though companies buy PR slots at the beginning of some shows...). But, the product of commercial TV is shareholder returns. The fact that there may be some "content" squeezed in between the commercials that is of interest to the viewers is only incidental.

Exactly. And we see networks (radio & TV) refine the money machines even further by delivering content tailored specifically to the political camps. I suspect this further solidifies belief sets in individuals and means more regular viewers, better ratings, therefore more money for ads.

In college one time I heard a guy near me in the cafeteria say "You know, the more I read, the more convinced I am that <this particular understanding> is the right one. I didn't know him, but I asked him what he had been reading. He listed several authors/works that were all arguing for one understanding of a controversial topic. I couldn't resist. I told him "No wonder you're becoming convinced."

One other newscast that convinced me that it was all for ads and nothing to do with news, was a report on a UFO with actual footage!! What more world wide impact news than actual UFO?!?!? I had to watch!
After seeing the, "Watch our newscast at 5 for details" a dozen times, then watching the newscast where they said, "Coming up next, the UFO footage!", 5 times they finally showed the footage in the last 45 seconds of the news cast. Their conclusion? 99.9% sure it's a reflection off an airliner.
I guess if it really was news, they would have broke into regularly scheduled programing....

Back