Wildman Extreme and Ultimate Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My order from Wildman arrived last week, these are probably the only two rockets I'll build this year. But they are great rockets, the extreme which I'll launch for fun, and the Ultimate which will hopefully be my level 3 build. I'm starting on the extreme first.
I would also like to say many thanks to Tim and Jackie at Wildman for processing my order so quickly and at minimal postage costs.
Anyway here is a pic of the parts in my basement

rock1.jpg

Because the two builds are very similar in contruction when it's time to build the Ultimate for your L3 you can apply that experience from building your extreme. Good luck I love looking at the Ultimate Wildman & Darkstar builds.

I have built the motor mount for the Extreme, including the retainer.
I decided to use all Proline Expoy, it's a bit messy, but it's black and looks good on the parts you can see (like the retainer).
Took quite a bit of sanding to get the rings to fit.

IMG_4394.jpg

IMG_4395.jpg

IMG_4398.jpg

Anyway on with the build.
Although I can easily get my arm inside the booster of the Extreme, I used my small rocket sander to sand the inside, I much prefer power tools when I can use them.

IMG_4402[1].jpg

IMG_4404[1].jpg

Of course I now have a load of dust in the tube, I'll wash the whole thing again before gluing.

My 75mm case arrived too. I'm just going for a 3 grain for now.

IMG_4405[1].jpg

I also ordered a Cesaroni L800 3 grain classic reload, but I have to pick that up in person.

Rubbed down around fin fillet area and drilled the holes ready for the injection of the internal fillets.

IMG_4406[1].jpg

At this point I am going to vary from the instructions and put a ring of epoxy in the booster just above the fin slots before inserting the motor mount. I know it doesn't say to do this in the instructions, it just makes me a little more secure in the build.

I have built the motor mount for the Extreme, including the retainer.
I decided to use all Proline Expoy, it's a bit messy, but it's black and looks good on the parts you can see (like the retainer).
Took quite a bit of sanding to get the rings to fit.

View attachment 256879

View attachment 256880

View attachment 256881

Just a question- in the last photo above it appears as though the kevlar strap is not epoxied to the motor mount. Is this an optical illusion, you have not gotten to that yet, or my eyes are deceiving me?

It is epoxied, I don't go over the top of the kevlar with the epoxy except to create a fillet at the top as I don't see it serves any purpose to epoxy over the top. I did actually add a little more just prior to inserting the motor mount into the booster.

I have created my ring of epoxy using my special long distance expoy tool courtesy of Starbucks.

IMG_4410[1].jpg

IMG_4413[1].jpg

I will insert the motor mount and leave to cure

I've kind of stopped this build while I figure out what to do about the fins. They seem to be slightly too big, so I'm trying to decide whether to trim them to size or build up a little at the front.
Anyone have any advice?
Attached a pic.
IMG_4422.JPG

I'll get on with the AV bay, but I may cheat on this and get a friend to build it for me, here's a pic of the AED goodies that will go in it, basically altimeters, GPS and transmitter plus ariels etc. for the rocket and a receiver to attach to my PC.

IMG_4418.JPG

I also bought a load of hardware for this and future rockets, had to get it over £50 in value to get free shipping, but I won't need to order any more for the next couple of years at least.

IMG_4420.jpg

The fin does look a little big, but the front fillet should just cover it? Or nothing a little file wouldn't fix.

I've kind of stopped this build while I figure out what to do about the fins. They seem to be slightly too big, so I'm trying to decide whether to trim them to size or build up a little at the front.
Anyone have any advice?
Attached a pic.
View attachment 260650

I would go with the fins the size they are, and just extend the fillet to cover the front of the fin to body tube. File/sand to shape.

Anyone have any advice?
Attached a pic.
View attachment 260650

I've seen worse:

0122.jpg

Mine was shipped with fins cut for the 4" Darkstar, which has a 54mm MMT.

I built my DS Extreme last year for my L3 and flew it at Airfest. If you are interested in a very detailed build thread, here is mine:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?66950-Wayco%92s-Dark-Star-Extreme

I also have an Ultimate, but haven't started building it yet. Built the DS Jr., the 3" DS and supervised my wife's 3" DS for her L2 rocket. Then the Extreme in the build thread above. They all go together pretty much the same, and there are lot's of build threads for them.

I agree with the above posts, it will be covered up with a good set of fillets, and Proline makes some awesome fillets.
My Extreme flew for the first time on an M1297 to 13,124 ft. Easy recovery using an Eggfinder, landing 1.5 miles away in a millet field. First flight was my cert. flight, easy peasy...

If you do wish to fix, just sand root a bit with shop belt sander or clamp a hand belt sander clamped in vice, run fin root back & forth a few times till proper fit.
The tab is just a bit long.

Close enough I would just let fillet cover it.

Thanks for the advice, you all seem to be saying pretty much the same thing, so I'll go with what you say and cover it with the fillet.

Back