DARS HP Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Internet is a wonderful resource for spotting potential launch sites. Google Earth and county websites with appraisal district maps come to mind, which can lead one to the names of the property owners. Once you locate a prospect a polite phone call can save a lot of gasoline. Easy money plus liability insurance coverage are great incentives for farmers who are always looking for ways to produce income off of their land with minimal risk. If you can get a face to face meeting with a land owner who has never seen a model rocket fly, having one handy with a motor ready to go might just seal the deal.

Be honest and straight forward but don't be shy or you'll just be sitting out the dance. :wink:

Here ye here ye! Claim your rocket launch by going here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ-Y452Kf8FIdJMLbOXJMfA and watch the unnamed videos (the xyz123.mp4's...). Just give me the file name of each video and the motor and any rocket details and I'll update the description accordingly.

I watched these a week or two after the last launch and recognized most, but didn't name them at the time for whatever reason. Some of them I know are obvious while others not so much; at least to me.

Let me know!

Last edited:

Arapahoe-J on an AT J460T to 3031 ft for a successful L2 cert.

Thanks and let me know if you recognize any others (this one I remember as your L2). A 54mm Blue Thunder is really cool. Think you'll fly BT again in 54 or switch gears?

Thanks and let me know if you recognize any others (this one I remember as your L2). A 54mm Blue Thunder is really cool. Think you'll fly BT again in 54 or switch gears?

Definitely switch gears. I prefer whites and reds, but the BT gave me the best kick off the pad, which I prefer for a first flight. It was totally stable, so a little less oomph and more effect are in store. I'm thinking a full-J white for the next flight. Probably in the fall (hopeing to go to Airfest) the way flying fields and life busyness are going.

Last edited:
145203 - Madcow Torrent on an I137T with premature pressure deployment. That was an awesome motor though. I'm going to have to use it again. :)

122422 - Binder Design Jaguar on an I140

I didn't make Robert's video list this time. But, in case anyone was bored, here is the onboard video of my Torrent (also on an I140).

[video=youtube;9mAxLkqivD0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mAxLkqivD0[/video]

David

I didn't make Robert's video list this time. But, in case anyone was bored, here is the onboard video of my Torrent (also on an I140).

[video=youtube;9mAxLkqivD0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mAxLkqivD0[/video]

David

Nice video. Uhmm... Pretty big lake down there near your launch field -- :y:

I was told that this is a soil conservation lake and contains about forty acres when full. It's only a matter of time until the developers drain it for another Walmart parking lot.

Last summer we had at least two splash-downs. Both pretty far in and both recovered. The tank was almost waist deep as I recall.

Lucky for us, the prevailing winds kept us out of the water most of the time. I think one of the water landings had a problem deploying the main parachute. It would have drifted clear of the water if the main had been out.

David

The most puzzling one was the Patriot lawndart/spearfishing attempt. I don't think any of us realized how shallow it was until that ~3-4" Patriot came in ballistic toward the middle and the fin can was still sticking above water.

That pond is big, but so is the wind. A very small percentage has ended up there. I can only remember 3, and all three of them had recovery problems.

There's a silver lining to almost every cloud. The same trend of heavy rains that has made flying rockets darn near impossible in north Texas has filled up many lakes and streams to overflowing, including my little 1/3 acre stock tank. I'll soon re-stock it with channel catfish and bluegills and pray that this damn drought is over. And, if you can't shoot 'em into the wild blue, you can do this:

[video=youtube;mUtiGxgX4g0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUtiGxgX4g0[/video]

I've got my sons' stomp rocket to fall back on. It gets old pretty quick though, about the halfway point from walking from the garage to the sidewalk :(. Any promising leads out there??

Not field news but cool...

This just in. George Sprague has informed me that the pop we all heard on his flight (the moment we all cringed and thought we were about to see 38 lbs of confetti generated) coincided with his rocket just sneaking past Mach 1. He did what I thought was impossible on that field, break Mach 1, and keep it under 1 Mile AGL.

Very cool George!

Oh wow, that is cool. I figured it had spit the liner. This would be the first time I've heard a confirmed sonic boom from a hpr. Nice!

Went back and watched my video of George's launch and, sure enough, you can hear the thump, thump when it does.

I'd like to see the acceleration plot from the altimeter. The -Gs from drag are probably higher than some of the +Gs for mi little bitty rocket.

David

This just in. George Sprague has informed me that the pop we all heard on his flight (the moment we all cringed and thought we were about to see 38 lbs of confetti generated) coincided with his rocket just sneaking past Mach 1. He did what I thought was impossible on that field, break Mach 1, and keep it under 1 Mile AGL.

Very cool George!

Don't forget he broke mach using a 10" rocket. That's some seriously light build skills.

That flying telephone pole was only 38 lbs fully loaded. That is amazing unto itself.

113928 is George's L3 flight - Cesaroni M1810 Red Lightning (I think)

165021 I is mine - 2.26" scratch build 3FNC on an I161. My first flight over 4000'.

The most puzzling one was the Patriot lawndart/spearfishing attempt. I don't think any of us realized how shallow it was until that ~3-4" Patriot came in ballistic toward the middle and the fin can was still sticking above water.

That pond is big, but so is the wind. A very small percentage has ended up there. I can only remember 3, and all three of them had recovery problems.

Luckily my nephew tagged along that day. He recovered the Patriot and Robert Hildinger's Dominator that had a deployment issue. Made $20, too.

DSCN1586.jpg

Last edited:
I was camping and couldn't make the meeting. Any news at all about fields?

Gunter is still a no-go, but they are continuing to talk. Jack has lots of contact info, but no solid leads. Right now all of the contacts are cold call situations.

I was looking up AARG and Tulsa Rocketry last night. We might be able to get into Corsicana before I make either of those trips, though.

I'm interested! Keep me posted, will depend on what the kids have going on, but if I don't fly before then, may HAVE to go!

DARS road trip to Airfest? Who's in?

Every year I put this on the list... and every year my live-in social director schedules something else. :mad: This year, Pensacola. :mad: :mad:, when I'm sure my daughter would much rather see me in a selfie from Argonia.:p

Very cool George!

Wow the bottom half of my 8 inch pike just hit 34 lbs. complete except for epoxy for fins and fillets. Motor mount epoxied in and fins just fitted. I just keep looking farther down the motor list. Marlin says I will be the one who invents carbon fiber rebar for cement.

Back