DARS HP Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The field's fine. Standing water in the ditches and along the fence line should be no problem by Saturday. Chuck will be sending out the official notices presently.

The field's fine. Standing water in the ditches and along the fence line should be no problem by Saturday. Chuck will be sending out the official notices presently.

That's great news! I was going to run over there a couple of hours age after gassing up my truck and see for myself. But as I was pumping fuel, as gust of wind blew my sunglasses off the top of the pump and smashed them on the concrete on the opposite side! Sometimes plans get changed and now I've got to go see my optometrist. There goes the motor budget!

Good thing we are having this launch. The 94 posts and counting in this thread before the launch is probably a good measure of the rocket withdraw we are suffering.

Good thing we are having this launch. The 94 posts and counting in this thread before the launch is probably a good measure of the rocket withdraw we are suffering.

I was just looking at our pitiful 94 posts against the 186 for the Tripoli Vegas launch and thinking that we were slacking...

I'm not sure if I'm dreaming or what, but I'll be at a field in Gunter and hopefully others will be there as well!

Who launched the large silver rocket on the redline engine? I couldn't hear what the engine was since I was walking after my rocket. I got a neat picture of their launch from the video on my rocket while it was waiting for me to pick it up.

David

L3 Launch from the Torrent 3-28-2015 (Small).jpg

I got a very late start but managed to get over to Gunter around 3:30 this afternoon. The weather was just about perfect...clear blue mostly cloudless sky. light southeast wind and temperature in the low eighties. The highlight of the day was probably Loren Walden's Black Brant on a K550-W which went to 3,100 feet or so. Then there was a fellow named Jeff from Plano who got his L2 on a stout Redline engine which went up to 3,900+ feet.

Pretty spectacular day even if I didn't fly any of my little toys and I even got Marilyn out of the house!

Who launched the large silver rocket on the redline engine? I couldn't hear what the engine was since I was walking after my rocket. I got a neat picture of their launch from the video on my rocket while it was waiting for me to pick it up.

David

View attachment 259327

That was George Sprague's level 3 flight. It was a CTI M something Red. It stayed just under the waiver for a good cert.

Today was a fantastic flying day all around. Just a great launch.

That was George Sprague's level 3 flight. It was a CTI M something Red. It stayed just under the waiver for a good cert.

By just under the waiver, Chris means George had 145' to spare...

Thanks for the info. Wish I could have stayed a little longer to see some more launches. It was interesting to see two rows of cars parked instead of one.

DARS Launch 3-28-2015 (small).jpg

Had great time launching today! Btw, did anyone happen to get a video of my two stage F? I was too worried about keeping an eye on it that I forgot to get a video.

Congratulations to George "the Other" Sprague on his successful Level 3 certification that I missed yesterday by being a late arrival to the party! :facepalm::rant::handshake:

Screen capture teaser from the liftoff video of George's L3 Flight. The video will take some time, but I'll post when it is done.

Screenshot_0.jpg

As I recall, George built this around an 8 inch Sonotube which would make that puppy at least eight feet long. Could you see it all the way to Apogee? Looks like I'm going to have to start getting out of bed sooner!

I'm looking forward to more photos and that video you mentioned.

David

View attachment 259327

What are the odds? Sweet! It was George Sprague's Level 3 attempt. Altitude was 5000' and change. I think the main came out apogee and it took them about an 1 1/2 to recover it. I gather all was well and he succeeded with his level 3!

I got a very late start but managed to get over to Gunter around 3:30 this afternoon. The weather was just about perfect...clear blue mostly cloudless sky. light southeast wind and temperature in the low eighties. The highlight of the day was probably Loren Walden's Black Brant on a K550-W which went to 3,100 feet or so. Then there was a fellow named Jeff from Plano who got his L2 on a stout Redline engine which went up to 3,900+ feet.

Pretty spectacular day even if I didn't fly any of my little toys and I even got Marilyn out of the house!

Yeah, Loren's flight was cool. It had a weird issue deploying the main but all was well. Apparently the payload sheared from the e-bay and left the parachute stuck in the forward end up against the nose cone. Rocket was built stout though and I don't recall seeing any damage.

Had great time launching today! Btw, did anyone happen to get a video of my two stage F? I was too worried about keeping an eye on it that I forgot to get a video.

Sorry, I didn't have a chance but did see it fly and it was definitely cool. Did you manage to recover everything?

Sorry, I didn't have a chance but did see it fly and it was definitely cool. Did you manage to recover everything?

Nah, just the booster. We saw it for a while as it was coming down, but lost sight of it. My dad took a long walk in the direction it was floating but despite it's neon orange paint job, he couldn't find it. Some guy in Oklahoma just got a new rocket :p

I think a few people got hooked on bigger Blue Thunder motors. Aggressive 38's and definitely 54's on up are pretty dang cool. Blue Thunder doesn't get a lot of fanfare since most people are accustomed to seeing smaller Blue Thunder's which can be difficult to see a flame. They are loud but visual combustion is always preferred :).

Here's some great pictures of what I'm talking about: https://www.facebook.com/buyrocketmotors/posts/1554190031508346

I also mentioned to a few that I saw a recent video of a 75mm New Blue Thunder (NT). I couldn't believe my eyes - it had white smoke exhaust in addition to the blue flame (somewhat washed out on video). Here it is:

[video=youtube;J0lRyTT-GxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0lRyTT-GxQ[/video]

Here's another used in the booster of a 2 stage with a super cool K550W in the sustainer; awesome:

[video=youtube;Si3dYcv8kbo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si3dYcv8kbo[/video]

The G80 DMS used New Blue Thunder but I don't recall seeing much exhaust perhaps because it's such a small motor and there's not a great deal of residence time for complete combustion. What do you guys think?

Hopefully if the stars and God's will aligns, my wife and I will find our way back to Texas. I wold love to move back to Arlington which means your Gunter field will have another flier showing up. You guys look like you have a good crew to fly with.

Hey Jarrett. Would be cool to have you around and Gunter is a fun field. A reasonable drive for most of DFW and depending on the setup, it's kind of like an amphitheater. The flyers I've run into are cool as well.

You're welcome anytime. Oh, and we do have a new field in Corsicana with a 10k' waiver. It's seasonal though being a plowed field and about an extra 15 minute drive for me being in the middle of Dallas and Ft. Worth. Haven't hosted a launch there just yet but the details are worked out and the waiver's legit. Just a timing and weather thing...

And, don't forget about the TexMex and BBQ. I'm a Texan for life!

George Sprague's L3 Cert Flight.

[video=youtube_share;7Qi3lR6Yzy8]https://youtu.be/7Qi3lR6Yzy8[/video]

Congratulations to George Sprague on his successful L3 attempt...the one I missed! :facepalm:

Back