DARS HP Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use straight nylon, you'll need a flame resistant sheath (I use a treated denim) until you are clear of the BT. I have this setup on a couple of rockets and it works well.

The other way I have things rigged is a length of kevlar (cord, tubular or mule tape) until clear of the BT, then a quick link to the nylon.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I have a kevlar tube to sheath a shock cord. Thanks for the reminder, I need to go and look for it now...

Let me know what kevlar you're thinking of using. I may have it on hand, and can get you the couple of feet you'll need.

Hey Chuck. I may take you up on the kevlar offer. I would probably need only about 2 feet. the lower airframe is really short and the forward CR will be fairly close to the edge. How easy is that stuff to cut?

Well, the weather forecast is looking great all week long including Saturday. With the sun shining most of the week I would imagine the field should dry up enough. We shall see.

Hey Chuck. I may take you up on the kevlar offer. I would probably need only about 2 feet. the lower airframe is really short and the forward CR will be fairly close to the edge. How easy is that stuff to cut?

I use scissors to cut it. Once there's any sort of glue/epoxy on it, it would probably take a Dremel with a cutting wheel.

How big is your rocket? I have a couple sizes of braided, some tubular, and mule tape.

For those of you following this thread who are not on DARS-General, I sent the official "Hey, we're planning a launch" email. It all depends on the weather. The field is VERY water logged, so we'll need plenty of sun and wind, with NO rain to have success.

I'll keep posted here of any changes.

I use scissors to cut it. Once there's any sort of glue/epoxy on it, it would probably take a Dremel with a cutting wheel.

How big is your rocket? I have a couple sizes of braided, some tubular, and mule tape.

It's a 4" Aerotech/LOC airframe. I think 2 feet would be plenty; probably :wink:.

I emptied my rain gauge of last week's sky water.... almost 3 inches! My small stock pond rose 3-4 feet, but is still 6 feet low. There is finally some upstream runoff flowing into my pond. My land has a pretty good slope and thus drains well but other land in the area still has standing water. Good for plants, restocking fish and watering cattle...not so good for rocket enthusiasts.

Man doth not control the weather, which is probably a good thing.

I am trapped at work Saturday with no chance of parole, darn it.

Knowing my luck, the next HP launch will be April 25, when I will be working in LA that weekend.

Argh.

Tomorrow we got wind and 70 degrees that should help...drain field, drain. I really want to get that L2 flight up. The Arapahoe-J is just sitting in a closet with the other rockets being ridiculed for it's flightless history.

Yeah, the ground here really dried out today. Pretty warm and the wind whipping around did the trick. Another day of that on more saturated fields should render good results. There looks to be a 2 to 3 hour window tomorrow night where rain is projected. From the projections I saw Gunter is on the edge which might explain the narrow window. I heard that a dude with a first name starting with S and last name starting with B is going to the site to check things out. No pressure or anything....

Depending on the rain tomorrow night, making a call on Friday could make sense. Besides, my son doesn't have a soccer game this weekend and a high in the low 70's with sub 10 mph winds.... Well again, no pressure :).

I am trapped at work Saturday with no chance of parole, darn it.

Knowing my luck, the next HP launch will be April 25, when I will be working in LA that weekend.

Argh.

Tom. Time to ditch work. I won't tell.

I may doom our chances of getting the launch in by doing this, but since I'll be in Mexico (for work, not fun) the next three days, I want to get the launch info posted.

Let me know if you are planning on coming out. Also, if you need motors, our on field vendor, Robert (aka Pyrobob) of BuyRocketMotors.com, will be in attendance. Maybe one day he'll actually get to fly a rocket. :y:

Date: Saturday, 3-28-2015
Time: 9 am setup, 10am – 5 pm Launch hours
Location: Gunter High Power Field – Follow this link for directions https://www.dars.org/NAV-special.html
Altitude Limit: 1 mile AGL (5,280 ft above ground level)
Pads Available: Model Rocket, Mid Power, and High Power (Please let us know in advance if you plan on launching a complex rocket or any K or larger motors)
Certification: NAR or Tripoli - All high power flyers must show a current NAR or TRA membership card to prove certification level - no exceptions.
Flight Prep: All high power rockets and flight plans will be reviewed by the RSO before pad assignment to ensure compliance. If you are planning a flight that will be close to our waiver, be prepared to answer many questions or provide a simulation.
Registration/Range Fees: FREE Under 18 modroc/sport
$5 Adult modroc/sport
$20 High-Power (non DARS member)
$10 High-Power DARS member
Bathroom Facilities: A portable toilet facility will be on-site.
Food/Beverages: Nearest food/gas/facilities are 4 miles northeast, back into Gunter. (It is best to bring your own)
Flight Cards: to speed up range operations please bring your flight cards already filled out to the field. https://www.dars.org/library.html

Is there some sort of membership card that I have to show to get the DARS discount? I know at the last launch I signed up for a membership but I'm not entirely sure if there is something I have to have to show or not.

Hopefully if the rain comes it will blow through quickly and without the hail they got up in Oklahoma/Arkansas/Missouri today. Sometimes when a strong high pressure system blows through there isn't enough duration for the heavy downpours often associated with spring thunderstorms to develop. Tomorrow night will be the weather event to watch.

Is there some sort of membership card that I have to show to get the DARS discount? I know at the last launch I signed up for a membership but I'm not entirely sure if there is something I have to have to show or not.

Suzy should have given you a membership card. If you are unsure email her as she keeps records of such things, and could look you up. Her email is on the DARS website as she is the secretary.

I will be reconnoitering the field sometime on Thursday. And Ted is close enough to get a fairly accurate "read" on conditions from his backyard.

I will be reconnoitering the field sometime on Thursday. And Ted is close enough to get a fairly accurate "read" on conditions from his backyard.

Reconnoitering, my word of the day!

Strong, fairly dry winds forecast for Thursday. That's good (never thought I would say that...). Sunny on Friday. You've got to believe!

Oh yes, I have 140 pounds of motor goodness due on Friday :cool:.

Well fellas, there's a squall line bearing down on Gainesville and extending southwest. https://www.wfaa.com/story/weather/radars/2014/08/26/north-texas-radar/14617519/ These look pretty intense but the line is rather thin and should pass through the area rapidly. I can see lightning northwest of my location and I'm guessing the line of storms will pass through in the next couple of hours. Today I was able to mow part of my pasture and only hit a few wet spots caused by underground springs, AKA seeps.

Once the thunder sets in the rain will soon follow so I'll probably be awake. If the roof is still on and the power doesn't fail, I'll post again.

The line appears to be weakening somewhat as it approaches the Gunter HP launch site. Keep your fingers crossed!

The line of storms has moved well to the east and the winds have shifted to the north. If Gunter got anything like Van Alstyne and the winds stay strong, it may just be okay by Saturday. Fingers crossed and so are my eyes. Good night!

It's pretty windy out there right now and tomorrow and Saturday look ideal with plenty of sun and low humidity. I think there's a very strong chance that things will be good enough or just plain fine on Saturday.

Being the optimist I am....

I just sent this out via DARS-General and DARS-Notify.

Sam has checked the field and reports that it is in good shape. The launch is a GO!!

Back