DARS HP Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, yesterday's post of mine disappeared.

Anyway, I have a Featherweight Raven 3 for the Torrent which I like for its accelerometer data and 4 pyro channels. I also have a RRC3 that will be used in the Frenzy when I get to fly it.

David

Weird, my reply is missing too....

Robert, I've got a Stratologger sl-100 that it probably in the f-150 category.
Also built a Eggtimer TRS, and 2 different units from Bear Altimeters. I've not flow any of them yet due to the rain society. I'd sell the strattologer f you wanted it. Or might even give you the bear altiduo kit.

Thanks David and Jack. Jack, how long did it take you to build the Eggtimer TRS and did you have any trouble? My soldering skills leave much to be desired, as do my welding skills. And now that were at it, my finishing skills, too. I'll stop there :facepalm:.

The TRS is a tedious build. I built it while the kids napped over several days. Probably put 4 or 5 hours in the assembly. The finder lcd is by far an easier build. The TRS surface mount components are tiny.... Smaller than a grain of rice, so you have to have a good small tip soldering iron, steady hand, magnifier, teasers and many curse words! If you build one, you will have a sense of accomplishment!

That's funny! Judging by the curse words I take it you probably had to redo some of the joints? Or, a bunch :). I'm tempted to give it a shot but it could become an exercise in futility...

Well, I dropped in on the DARS yahoo group and the launch/contest is postponed to tentatively the last weekend in July.

Argh.

So, looking at Hearne on July 11 as my next possibility.

Curse words were more related to the the tiny parts flying off the tip of the tweezers! Thankfully I was on hardwood floor so I could find it. Chris includes a few spares for some of them.... Don't think I needed them though. If your interested, I say go for it! I'd loan you my finder LCD! Let me know if you want a first hand look at it first.

Well, I dropped in on the DARS yahoo group and the launch/contest is postponed to tentatively the last weekend in July.

Argh.

So, looking at Hearne on July 11 as my next possibility.

I'll be at Frisco tomorrow with the GSE and a weed wacker :) .

Curse words were more related to the the tiny parts flying off the tip of the tweezers! Thankfully I was on hardwood floor so I could find it. Chris includes a few spares for some of them.... Don't think I needed them though. If your interested, I say go for it! I'd loan you my finder LCD! Let me know if you want a first hand look at it first.

Thanks Jack for the intel. I'll give it some thought.

Thanks David. I think that put me over the edge. I bought a really nice (nice looking anyhow...) non-Radio Shack soldering iron several years ago that I could put to use. Question is whether I have the patience and dexterity to pull off the really small parts. I could outsource the build and just stop thinking about it I guess!

David, which unit are you going with? I've got an old school never used Adept DD altimeter already that I feel pretty comfortable with so I'm really eyeing the GPS only unit. The GPS + DD combo is appealing though since I could use one as a backup and be set for L3 redundancy, I guess.

Robert,

Be aware that if you are getting an EggFinder several of us have them on various frequencies. I have 911 and 925 MHz, Chuck I believe is on 915 MHz, and I'm sure there are others. It wouldn't be a huge deal if we have the same frequencies. We just couldn't have them transmitting at the same time.

Also, you can send them directly to Connor (conman13, thread in vendor section) for assembly. Chuck and I both did and were very happy with the results.

Yeah, I planned on asking Chris E. about the frequency issue. Is it something that can be programmed on the fly or something that must be hardwired by Chris E.? How many options are there and if it's limited to something like a dozen how in the heck do we finagle that at say Airfest or LDRS?

I bet the RC car/plane guys can chime in on how they handle situations like this at competitions and meets?

David, which unit are you going with? I've got an old school never used Adept DD altimeter already that I feel pretty comfortable with so I'm really eyeing the GPS only unit. The GPS + DD combo is appealing though since I could use one as a backup and be set for L3 redundancy, I guess.

I'm getting the Eggtimer TRS. I won't initially be using it to control the deployment, but it will be nice to have that option.

David

Robert,

Be aware that if you are getting an EggFinder several of us have them on various frequencies. I have 911 and 925 MHz, Chuck I believe is on 915 MHz, and I'm sure there are others. It wouldn't be a huge deal if we have the same frequencies. We just couldn't have them transmitting at the same time.

Looks like the HopeRF module is software programmable between 895MHz and 935MHz. We should be able to stay away from each others frequencies.

David

Three weeks until the TH Hearne launch.

I joined and posted on the TH Yahoo group and warned them that a few of us will be driving down.

Might be nice to give them a rough estimate.

How many DARS folks are planning on going to Hearne on July 11?

I'm planning to attend! I've got some rockets that will finally be ready to go that could benefit from a 16000 ft. waiver. My 29mm MD is finally done side to adding nose weight, and I'm working on a 3" rocket with a 54mm Motor mount that will probably be done by then as well. Also got my Madcow torrent, and BD Jaguar that will also be flying. :)

P.S, Is there anyone going from our group who is also Tripoli certified? I just recently got my TMP certification and thought it might be interesting to try putting either the Jaguar or Torrent up on a baby J motor provided there is a mentor willing to sign off on the flight.

Three weeks until the TH Hearne launch.

I joined and posted on the TH Yahoo group and warned them that a few of us will be driving down.

Might be nice to give them a rough estimate.

How many DARS folks are planning on going to Hearne on July 11?

Y'all will be warmly welcomed! 'Course Texas in July it's hard to have anything but a warm welcome. :cool:

Greg

That makes at least three of us. I would think it will be at least 6 or 8 or more.

Bob, you coming? With another vendor there you could come and just fly.

By the way, on a different subject, John Pursley appears to be moving to Burleson to work on some stuff with my buddy Richard Ng and plans on attending some DARS launches (this is, of course, assuming that we ever get to have a launch again!) and might make the Hearne launch.

I ought to get busy and see if I could knock out the modified NCR Hobgoblin for a quick and simple motor ejection L2 cert.....

Last edited:
50:50 I'll be there. Been working on a scratch LOC 4" DD.

Robert, provided I'm there, I am Tripoli L2. Not sure what the requirements are regarding your certification or what constitutes a "Mentor." But to the extent I qualify I would be happy to sign off. My priority would be to fly some rockets :) but if I'm not around I bet they'll be plenty others. Still need the H50?

50:50 I'll be there. Been working on a scratch LOC 4" DD.

Robert, provided I'm there, I am Tripoli L2. Not sure what the requirements are regarding your certification or what constitutes a "Mentor." But to the extent I qualify I would be happy to sign off. My priority would be to fly some rockets :) but if I'm not around I bet they'll be plenty others. Still need the H50?

Awesome, thanks! There really isn't any criteria for being a mentor, I can PM you to tell more. Yeah, if the offer is still there for that H50 I'm definitely still interested.

I do love painting the latex on models. Lots of good ways to put clear on top of the water base stuff after a nice long cure.

That makes about 6 for Hearne so far.

I have three new unflown RC RGs, plus two more that only have one flight on them so far. Plus a new modified Neon XL, a new Mega Mosquito and a new Strong Arm.

I have been feeding the RC rocket glider addiction fairly heavily this year. Counting the redone Guillow's Shuttle, I have built seven RC rocket glider projects (mostly simple profiles ala Frank Burke) and have started another one as well...:)

But I think I will park number 8 for a bit and make a stab at the Hobgoblin and perhaps fly it at Hearne on a long hoarded K550 with a nice new delay train charge. Very temped to wrap it in sign vinyl or Monokote to avoid hours of priming and painting and sanding....:)

I do love painting the latex on models. Lots of good ways to put clear on top of the water base stuff after a nice long cure.

That makes about 6 for Hearne so far.

I have three new unflown RC RGs, plus two more that only have one flight on them so far. Plus a new modified Neon XL, a new Mega Mosquito and a new Strong Arm.

I have been feeding the RC rocket glider addiction fairly heavily this year. Counting the redone Guillow's Shuttle, I have built seven RC rocket glider projects (mostly simple profiles ala Frank Burke) and have started another one as well...:)

But I think I will park number 8 for a bit and make a stab at the Hobgoblin and perhaps fly it at Hearne on a long hoarded K550 with a nice new delay train charge. Very temped to wrap it in sign vinyl or Monokote to avoid hours of priming and painting and sanding....:)

Tom you buildin' fool ! :) I had an idea that a heat gun/hair dryer speeds up the cure time. Did I make that up or get it confused with acrylic paint ?

We're looking forward to having you join us. A couple things- our waiver is to 12,500, with call ins to 16k. So if you want to go that high, let us know when you get there. Also, check the wind before you come; we have a very long North recovery zone, but if there is a crosswind you can easily wind up in a much more difficult area, especially now that the fence is up around the airport. It helps a lot to have tracking.

Robert, I'm sure we can provide a mentor for you.

See ya in 18 days!

David

Tom you buildin' fool ! :) I had an idea that a heat gun/hair dryer speeds up the cure time. Did I make that up or get it confused with acrylic paint ?

A light and gentle hand with a heat gun does help. I also have a warm drying box that sends 110 degree air over parts and that seems to really speed things up.

Dry time is not as critical unless you want a significant gloss or flat clear coat on top. Then it really has to be dry.

Back