DARS HP Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, are we getting the rain or what?? Good to see the lakes are close if not at normal levels. Hopefully they'll get Gunter worked out and maybe some silver lining in finding a third field. Really looking forward to the Corsicana launch site.

I haven't kept detailed records, but we have had about 10 inches of rain here since April 1st, and that does not include the heavy rains we got Thursday night/Friday morning, last night or the frog strangler we are currently having. And I no longer have an Ark! I'm just hoping the newly stocked catfish stay in the pond.

Geez, more rain and more to come! I may get some fillets finished up in my 4" scratch build. As terrible as I am with painting, I can't wait to see it painted in the color scheme I've envisioned for so many years. There are 6 fins; yes 6 of them! That's a lot of fillets and patience....

I am officially in serious rocket withdrawal. We cannot catch a break here in North Texas!

I see a trip to Hearne one of these days.

My faint lead out north of FW is petering out. One land owner was an RC guy that is a friend and he was up for it, but a couple of others next door that we would need are not responding to email. It is also just inside the DFW TCA and not just outside as I first thought...sigh.

Definitely keep trying. I've noticed tremendous variation in the way people communicate particularly when it comes to email. I've made a living being a consultant since 2001 and I guess I view little things like "responding to an email" or, "returning a phone call" different than others. If you have a phone number for them then consider giving them a call. A second/third HPR site and a $1,000 payout would be sweet for sure!

I cannot go to the Hearne launch on June 13, but am planning on going on July 11, proving that the new Texas monsoon season ever ends.

I cannot go to the Hearne launch on June 13, but am planning on going on July 11, proving that the new Texas monsoon season ever ends.

I might be able to make that date (July 11). Should have my Doorknob finished and ready for an L2 attempt.

I am going to try and make Hearne and fly something. I like Hearne and it is a really good bunch of guys, but landing on a runway is a definite possibility. One more thing, the new deer proof fence is very nearly "old guy" proof. I did manage to get back and forth last time I was there but it was not easy.

I think I should be able to make a July 11th launch. Sounds like fun. 16000 ft waiver. :D

Perhaps we should warn them that a group of slightly desperate DARS guys want to invade their launch?

Pyrobob, any chance you could make it down there with your tent that caters to our addiction?....:)

This weather us starting to affect my other hobby as well. Several RC events around here have been cancelled due to high water and field conditions. My home RC field, Thunderbird Field at the south end of Benbrook lake, is nominally about 15 feet above the full lake level. We are now about about 2 feet from going under water with no water through the spillway until the water is at 16 feet above the full mark.

I believe they have a pusher of their own down there. I'll probably have a lunch meeting with Robert ahead of any such launch. I have gotten tentative approval from she who must be obeyed for July 11, so I hope this all comes together. Especially want to be there if Sam gets his L2 in the air.

Sounds like a fun time. The 11th happens to be my birthday and as much as I would like to be launching rockets I doubt I'll be able to go very far unfortunately. If I am able to attend it will be to launch rockets; something I haven't done in way too long of time :).

I might be able to make this. I'll have to check with my social scheduler...

Does anyone from DARS know the Tripoli Houston folks? Might be worth doing a little coordination.

I wonder how many DFW folks might make the drive? Being in south FW, it is only about an hour further for me to go to Hearne vs. Gunter.

Does anyone from DARS know the Tripoli Houston folks? Might be worth doing a little coordination.

I wonder how many DFW folks might make the drive? Being in south FW, it is only about an hour further for me to go to Hearne vs. Gunter.

I got my L1 there in 2008 with a 3inch rocket that Dave Bachelder was kitting at that time (LOC tubing/plywood fins and rings/ basic 3FNC). I went down with Royce Frankum and Ray Shepard. Royce introduced me to Dave, Stu Barnett, many others I've forgotten. Jim Parker was instrumental in getting my L1 flight out of a tree. I'll ping Royce as my plans firm up; I'm on their Yahoo mailing list as well so we can warn them through multiple channels. :)

Yahoo group - Tripoli Houston Rocketry Club #002

Last edited:

I need an AP fix real bad, so that drive sounds just fine to me.

Add me to the list for July 11. I'd like to send the Frenzy 1 mile up if it passes its first shakedown flight.

Are there any loaner trackers around? I don't have a Ham license, yet, so it would probably be easier to borrow one. I will eventually get an Eggfinder, but not by July.

David

Add me to the list for July 11. I'd like to send the Frenzy 1 mile up if it passes its first shakedown flight.

Are there any loaner trackers around? I don't have a Ham license, yet, so it would probably be easier to borrow one. I will eventually get an Eggfinder, but not by July.

David

Pending your setup we may be able to pull one of my eggfinders after it flies and wrap it for a ride along in your rocket. My sleds are easily detachible, so if you have enough room in a NC electronics bay it should be straight forward.

^^^

Thanks! I installed a BT80 sized tracker bay in the nosecone, so that would probably work.

David

Alright, I'm officially in for July 11th. Just placed a nice order with my local motor pimp, I mean pusher, I mean dealer, ah...I mean Robert. Going to take the Cherokee-I and try to break 6k' and Mach 1. Got a good chance at both with a J570 (38-1080), if the fins stay attached that is. Going to give my L1 rocket, Fav'rit 2B, the J500G it deserves also.

I am excited, as I doubt I will even make the Frisco launches before then due to far more work than hours in the day.

Can someone post the address (or coordinates) of the flight field?

If you've been there prior (or even recently) ~ how was cell phone coverage in the field?

Any expectations on field conditions?

:) :) :)

If you've been there prior (or even recently) ~ how was cell phone coverage in the field?

Hearne Municipal Airport: map

I have never been, but it doesn't look that remote compared to some launch sites.

If the link doesn't work, just google the airport.

Hearne Municipal Airport: map

I have never been, but it doesn't look that remote compared to some launch sites.

If the link doesn't work, just google the airport.

Art Applewhite has all the Texas launch information on his site: https://www.artapplewhite.com/launches.html#hearne

Straight down 35 to Waco then 6 down to Aggie Country. Or 45 to 79, about 2 1/2 - 3 hours either way.

Last edited:
In an interesting twist of events, my wifes best friend in college will be in town my birthday weekend. She has two kids that are about the same age as mine and they haven't seen each other in probably 10 years. I reminded my wife of the importance of July 11th (you know, my birthday) and she didn't seem to care :facepalm:. Honestly, I think I'm not allowed around the house this weekend which means there's a good chance I might be able to make it to Hearne to fly.

[video=youtube;TCKOI24k_UY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCKOI24k_UY[/video]

... I reminded my wife of the importance of July 11th (you know, my birthday) and she didn't seem to care :facepalm:. Honestly, I think I'm not allowed around the house this weekend which means there's a good chance I might be able to make it to Hearne to fly.

Hmmm... tread very carefully pyrobob, it might be a trap ! I know for myself, I'll be on my best behavior and try to get all my chores done until then. :wink:

Last edited:
The trap! Maybe it's already been set? Maybe it's too late for me?????????????? :y:

Back