DARS HP Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm officially extremely excited.

Is this going to be your L2 flight, Sam?

Yes, and you may be drafted as the motor-buyer of record. :grin: I just have to decide on one. A White is always my first choice; I can go 54 or 38mm; most likely J impulse. Still need a retainer. Aw man, time's a wastin'.

Yes, and you may be drafted as the motor-buyer of record. :grin: I just have to decide on one. A White is always my first choice; I can go 54 or 38mm; most likely J impulse. Still need a retainer. Aw man, time's a wastin'.

Great. I have an order with Robert for pickup now. I will probably pick it up July 8th-ish if you need me to courier one to the field for you let me know.

I too am a big fan of the white.

So I have kinda been distracted lately and have not kept up with the goings on, is there still no HP in Dallas? Are the launches limited to G's and 3.3?

So I have kinda been distracted lately and have not kept up with the goings on, is there still no HP in Dallas? Are the launches limited to G's and 3.3?

The owners of the cow pasture in Gunter asked us to cease operations in March, so it hasn't been all that long (it just seams that way). They're just absentee investors not really understanding what we do or our commitment to "leavin' it like we found it". I don't think the cows minded at all.

Our Class 1 field in Frisco is good but new development north and east of the field makes us extra careful when wind direction dictates

You're relocating here, right ?

Last edited:
It's probably worth mentioning that we have another HP field coming on in the late summer/fall in Corsicanna.

As Sam said it just feels like it has been so long. Probably because the rain and flooding have screwed up almost all outdoor activities, not just rockets. Can't even go camping when the sites are literally under water.

Putting together my order with Robert! Question, will anyone have a 54 -> 38 motor mount adapter at the field they would loan to me for a flight? I've got a new rocket and thought it'd be a good idea to do a test run with a smaller motor.

I have a slimline 54-38 adapter you can use. It should work with other retainer systems as well.

It's probably worth mentioning that we have another HP field coming on in the late summer/fall in Corsicanna.

As Sam said it just feels like it has been so long. Probably because the rain and flooding have screwed up almost all outdoor activities, not just rockets. Can't even go camping when the sites are literally under water.

When was our last HP launch? Wasn't it last year, Nov or October?

I think it is just not feeling...it has been a long time!!

We had one in February or March I believe. I did my L2 there.

That rings a bell now. I think I was travelling that weekend.

However, one HP launch in 7-8 months is not enough!

Since I rejoined the club last July, I have never been able to get over to a Frisco launch, either, due to bad weather, field conditions, work, travel, etc.

That rings a bell now. I think I was travelling that weekend.

However, one HP launch in 7-8 months is not enough!

Since I rejoined the club last July, I have never been able to get over to a Frisco launch, either, due to bad weather, field conditions, work, travel, etc.

We've had a bad run of luck for sure. Several different factors all lined up. Hopefully the fall is more "productive" when Corsicanna comes online.

The owners of the cow pasture in Gunter asked us to cease operations in March, so it hasn't been all that long (it just seams that way). They're just absentee investors not really understanding what we do or our commitment to "leavin' it like we found it". I don't think the cows minded at all.

Our Class 1 field in Frisco is good but new development north and east of the field makes us extra careful when wind direction dictates

You're relocating here, right ?

Yea, I plan on moving back home (south Arlington) in a couple of months and I am just trying to get an idea on the kind of flying I should gear my next project to. I am down all day with Class 1, it's actually my preference. I looked on the site and did not see an altitude cap at the Frisco site, is there an "better no go over" there?

For my 4" scratch build, I drilled three 1/4" holes equidistant around the circumference to use a 'quick detach' screw to secure the payload to the ebay. Well, those screws didn't work and now I have three 1/4" holes. Originally I covered them up but I got to thinking, can't I just use these as static ports for the ebay? They're oversized based on sizing charts (I think three 1/8" wholes is recommended) but really, does it make any difference? They're not relief holes in the booster/payload compartments, just static holes for the ebay. Anybody see an issue with three 1/4" holes used as static ports in a 4" airframe? Think LOC EZ-I65 for context.

For my 4" scratch build, I drilled three 1/4" holes equidistant around the circumference to use a 'quick detach' screw to secure the payload to the ebay. Well, those screws didn't work and now I have three 1/4" holes. Originally I covered them up but I got to thinking, can't I just use these as static ports for the ebay? They're oversized based on sizing charts (I think three 1/8" wholes is recommended) but really, does it make any difference? They're not relief holes in the booster/payload compartments, just static holes for the ebay. Anybody see an issue with three 1/4" holes used as static ports in a 4" airframe? Think LOC EZ-I65 for context.

None. I always oversize the vent holes by at least size on Vern Knowles' chart.

Yea, I plan on moving back home (south Arlington) in a couple of months and I am just trying to get an idea on the kind of flying I should gear my next project to. I am down all day with Class 1, it's actually my preference. I looked on the site and did not see an altitude cap at the Frisco site, is there an "better no go over" there?

I don't think we've ever set a limit for our Class 1 field other than "Fly the conditions", "Try to keep it in the field", and "Don't fail West !"

frisco 1.jpg

We have about 16-1700 feet to the north with our typical southerly wind set-up. Up until 7 or eight months ago, landing north or east meant a long walk and a (possible) lost rocket when the corn or sorghum was high. Since then crops have been replaced with McMansions so now we will start adding "Don't fail North, East, or West !"

The long range weather guess for Hearne on July 11 is not looking too bad. Winds 9-10mph SSW until 10am and then 9-10 out of the south until dark. Optimal for the airport boundaries and recoveries.

Partly cloudy early, clear after 10am, with a high of 91. Could be worse!

I have a lot to fly, so I might splurge for a hotel room down there so I would have more prep time in the AM.

Did a little work on the NCR Hobgoblin, but decided not to rush it for this event. It will fly later in the year.

Thanks to Chuck Crabbe (our NAR advisor) for taking time out his day today to admin my written L2 exam! 1/2 way to L2 with the written test passed. :cool:

Working a LOC-IV for my L2 attempt in Hearne. Trying something new with 100% vinyl decals ~ no paint runs, artifacts, or masking to do. Prolly not as durable tho - 10 years from now I'm fearful delamination may be prevalent lol.

Fins will be white, or gold chrome:

Thanks to Chuck Crabbe (our NAR advisor) for taking time out his day today to admin my written L2 exam! 1/2 way to L2 with the written test passed. :cool:

Working a LOC-IV for my L2 attempt in Hearne. Trying something new with 100% vinyl decals ~ no paint runs, artifacts, or masking to do. Prolly not as durable tho - 10 years from now I'm fearful delamination may be prevalent lol.

Fins will be white, or gold chrome:

That looks great. I might be flying the Doorknob in primer. :eek: Chuck is da Man !

It's too bad I won't be able to make it down to Hearne this weekend. I have a new-to-me 7.5" diameter, 52" tall rocket that needs to get airborne.

For those of you who attended the swap meet, it's the gray primer and yellow nose cone beast.

GOOD LUCK to Sam and Frank on your L2 flights.

Sorry you cannot make it, Alfabrewer.

Still looks like we will have at least 6-8 DARS folks headed to Hearne.

Samb, think it would be worth asking Jack or whoever is the DARS webmaster about adding a note to the web site about the unofficial club field trip to Hearne?

Finishing up final details several projects this week and have to get by to see Pyrobob and collect my motor order....:)

Samb, think it would be worth asking Jack or whoever is the DARS webmaster about adding a note to the web site about the unofficial club field trip to Hearne?

IDK, I told everybody who was at the last meeting. Feel free to ask him. How about a post on the DARS Yahoo list ?

Sam and I (and anyone else going for an L2 in Hearne) will need at least 2x active L2 members or 1 active L3 member to admin our L2 flights -- anyone know the roster of active L2 and L3 attendees at Hearne?

I am going and I don't have a lot to do, just a quick ground test. I am NAR and TRA L2 just let me know if I can help.

I'm still going. NAR L2. I don't know how busy I will be yet since I have a few items I would like to accomplish.

I picked up my J270W and K550W (with case) from Robert on Sunday. Thanks Robert! Depending on the wind speed and direction, I'm going to try and send the Frenzy 1 mile up. That's if I can figure out how to put a motor together and have everything else work with a "practice" J315R.

The J270W is so I can get a better movie with the Torrent.

David

I'm going and I'm NAR L2. I don't know how much I'll be launching, but I can certainly witness at least one L2 if need be.

Back