This is Weird-- What Colors do You See??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dress is white and gold. Bad lighting, small phone screens might make people think otherwise. I can almost, almost see how some people could glance (quickly) and think the white parts in the lower lighting, look bluish. I can't see how anyone could seriously claim the gold part is black. The better lit parts clearly show it's gold, and the darker parts still look like dark gold. It doesn't look anything like black.

The thing is that it's easy to see how worse lighting might look bluish and some dark color suggesting that people think of as black.

On the other hand, there is no reason that over-lighting a blue and black dress would make it look gold and white.

The dress is white and gold. Bad lighting, small phone screens might make people think otherwise. I can almost, almost see how some people could glance (quickly) and think the white parts in the lower lighting, look bluish. I can't see how anyone could seriously claim the gold part is black. The better lit parts clearly show it's gold, and the darker parts still look like dark gold. It doesn't look anything like black.

The thing is that it's easy to see how worse lighting might look bluish and some dark color suggesting that people think of as black.

On the other hand, there is no reason that over-lighting a blue and black dress would make it look gold and white.

My wife looked at the computer screen, same one I'm looking at and she sees blue and black. I told her I see white and gold and she thought I was playing some kind of game, sort of got pissed a little at me. If she would have said white and gold I would not have posted this thread.

Not sure what all the flap is about. Take the original digital photograph file (.JPG, whatever), use any graphics program to tell you exactly what color values they are. Compare that to existing definitions of colors. Easy peasy. A colorblind person could do it...

https://www.businessinsider.com/origin-of-white-gold-or-black-blue-dress-2015-2

Regardless of what it actually looks like to you, it's blue and black, as confirmed by the owner of the dress.
Some clues of this even if we didn't have confirmation:
1) If you open the image in Photoshop or MSPaint and sample from the light coloured areas, you will find that it is a shade of blue. Therefore, the dress is blue and some other colour.
2) If you look at the bottom left, you'll see that there's a dress that is a dark colour with light coloured polka dots. If you notice that the image is very overexposed and "yellower" than it should be, you'll come to the conclusion that this other dress is black and white. Then if you compare the "black" of that dress with the dark patches on the dress in the foreground, you will find that they are almost exactly the same colour. Therefore, the dress is blue and black.

It's not just overlighting, it's bad white-balance. Whitebalancing can give an image all sorts of strange colours.

yes, using paint and using the dropper to grab a pixel and show the color pallette, the "white" is clearly very much in the blue, and the "gold" is sort of a dark gray....even though my eye translates these as white and gold.

I initially saw white and gold. Then, my computer dimmed the screen when I unplugged it, and whaddaya know.... blue and black. :)

This is bazaar. The picture toward the bottom where it is looking through a window. Through the top pane I see white and gold, through the bottom pane I see blue and dark grey. This thing is really right at a conceptual tipping point isn't it.

This is bazaar. The picture toward the bottom where it is looking through a window. Through the top pane I see white and gold, through the bottom pane I see blue and dark grey. This thing is really right at a conceptual tipping point isn't it.

Until now, I had only seen the closeup version of the top portion without what you see in the lower pane. And it seemed to be definitely white and gold (white the white being a just very lightly bluish white). But in the full picture, I see what you do, white and gold in the top pane, blue and blackish grey in the lower.

I think it also has to do with what you are viewing it on. At my desktop, it looks white and gold, but on my laptop and phone, it looks blue and black.

Not sure what all the flap is about. Take the original digital photograph file (.JPG, whatever), use any graphics program to tell you exactly what color values they are. Compare that to existing definitions of colors. Easy peasy. A colorblind person could do it...

I just did that, and Corel Draw says it's a pale blue and a sort of dark platinum gold. Now! Consider this. GMA & World News Tonight both, are guilty as sin for inflating or pumping energy into a subject just for creating a stir. Take this for instance. They stirred up a UFO conspiracy, of sorts, just for the attention. Here's the photo they launched.

UFO 1a.jpg

Here's a few others I found on Google Street Views. You be the judge. I call it lens flair. The color on the clothing will vary a lot depending on how the photo was shot...brightness, hue, gamma, yadda, yadda.

UFO 4a.jpg UFO 3a.jpg UFO 2a.jpg

Saw blue with gold. Went down the bottom, definitely blue and gold. Went back up the top eyes decided it was white and gold. This is a 3D perception issue. Your brain sees the blue and interprets it as a shadow on a white dress.

I counted the horse's teeth:

View attachment 256065

Yep, this is what I saw from the get go. I know it is an optical illusion, but what should not shock me but does is the fact that people believe it is white and gold despite being given evidence to the contrary (Not not initally seeing white and gold, but still believing as such after being shown the actual dress at the place that sells it.)

Edit: Also when I first saw the dress thing, this is what popped in my head:

[video=youtube;dAE7uOO_4v4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAE7uOO_4v4[/video]

Last edited:
alright, I was going to ignore this until now. I looked it a on several sites and it was gold and white. after working on the computer for an hour or so messing with my new eggtimer my wife shows me the picture on her tablet and it is totally black and blue. I just came back here to click the link on my computer. now it's black and blue. what the heck?

I just checked it out again, still white and gold for me, wife sees it as blue and black????????????????????????????????????????????

I haven't kept up on the digital photography technology, I just use the camera in my phone and a separate camera sometimes.

When I see the picture as definitely gold and white, the red object in the background on the right side of the dress seems very "washed out" as if the print were exposed for too short a time in the darkroom. Not much color saturation.

When I see the dress as blue and black, the red object is much brighter.

It seems that there is some digital equivalent to exposure that can have this effect without painting the colors (which would be cheating and make this totally uninteresting as opposed to merely annoying as it is now).

Color not equal to spectrum. Color is what your brain interprets given the input of spectrum, scene and shadows.

graphic_test.gif

I've always seen it as blue and black and the website the dress can be bought on says blue and black.

the first I saw of this the dress was white and blue, the others I've seen have all been white and brown

Back