MIM-23 HAWK - Scratch build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morlock

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to building a scratch sport HAWK scale. Nothing very fancy. I don't want the side rails, but I will include the opened space in the fins.

The goal is to fly it on D-12s and E-12s. Projected apogees are ~200 and ~300m with Ds and Es.

Here is a picture of what I am aiming for and my Open Rocket 3D rendering:

estes_hawk.jpgscratch_hawk.png

Would some of you accept to take a look at my open rocket file to see if there are obvious problems with the design or using these motors?

Here is the file: https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=256030&stc=1&d=1425059086

I'd appreciate any suggestions :)

Attachments

• scratch_hawk.ork
    2.5 KB · Views: 123
I found the following schematics in another TRF thread. I'll use the measurements of the figure (in mm) to do fine adjustments to my Open Rocket model.

View attachment 256066

Mad Cow has this kit. take a look at it.
Thanks Crossfire. I know about the Madcow kit. This is where I got my inspiration and where my first image comes from :)

However, I want to do a scratch build for 24 mm D and E motors. The Madcow one is 38 mm.

Last edited:
Yes it will be a fun build. I was just thinking you may get some info to help you out with the build. When you get it done post some pictures.

I'm looking forward to building a scratch sport HAWK scale. Nothing very fancy. I don't want the side rails, but I will include the opened space in the fins.

The goal is to fly it on D-12s and E-12s. Projected apogees are ~200 and ~300m with Ds and Es.

Here is a picture of what I am aiming for and my Open Rocket 3D rendering:

View attachment 256028View attachment 256029

Would some of you accept to take a look at my open rocket file to see if there are obvious problems with the design or using these motors?

Here is the file: https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=256030&stc=1&d=1425059086

I'd appreciate any suggestions :)

OK Morlock:
I'm a bit of a Scale Purist; Scratch building many Scale models for NAR Competitions over the years.
That is to say if your going to build a scale model then dog gone it do it right. You already have a very nice set of detailed plans with dimensions to work from. Yes include the wireway tunnels and some at least some of the other surface details. This Will not cost you much in the way of time or material but WILL greatly enhance the finished appearance of the model.
Have your decided on a Scale factor Yet? Easiest way to do that is to decide what OD body diameter you are doing to build (for D & E power you might want BT-55 or BT-60) then divide that dimension by the full size vehicle OD body inches to get a multiplier. This "multiplier" can then be used to determine all the other dimensions for the rest of the model and other details from your drawing set.
I have a Micro Hawk missile and am planning on converting a 3 missile Hawk battery w/ Launcher PMC to fly on 13mm motors down the road.

you will not regret going a little further then the basic outline on any Scale subject. and others at the launches will appreciate the eye for detail;)

OK Morlock:
I'm a bit of a Scale Purist; Scratch building many Scale models for NAR Competitions over the years.
That is to say if your going to build a scale model then dog gone it do it right. You already have a very nice set of detailed plans with dimensions to work from. Yes include the wireway tunnels and some at least some of the other surface details. This Will not cost you much in the way of time or material but WILL greatly enhance the finished appearance of the model.
Have your decided on a Scale factor Yet? Easiest way to do that is to decide what OD body diameter you are doing to build (for D & E power you might want BT-55 or BT-60) then divide that dimension by the full size vehicle OD body inches to get a multiplier. This "multiplier" can then be used to determine all the other dimensions for the rest of the model and other details from your drawing set.
I have a Micro Hawk missile and am planning on converting a 3 missile Hawk battery w/ Launcher PMC to fly on 13mm motors down the road.

you will not regret going a little further then the basic outline on any Scale subject. and others at the launches will appreciate the eye for detail;)
Thanks for the input. I already started working with the schematics. I will work with BT-60 and determined that my multiplier is 8.55 times. I am in the process of re-adjusting the different proportions in my version 2 in Open Rocket. I guess you are right about doing a small bit of additional details for a fraction of the build time but a big eye-candy boost. :)

If you know other good sources of info for the HAWK, please post them or PM me!

I finished working on version 3 of the Open Rocket design file. I think it is getting closer.

scratch_hawk_v3_schema.png

scratch_hawk_v3_3D.jpg

However, the schematics I am working from (see post #2 in this thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?123440-MIM-23-HAWK-Scratch-build) are not that easy to follow. It is hard to find the actual length of some of the fin parts and whenever I add up all the lengths in the design, I end up with a different total then the one given in the schematics.

Does anybody know what other source, pdf, website or book, I could use to help me with the scale?

Obviously, there has been a few versions of the HAWK missile, but I'll be happy with any supplementary information.

Back