We've lost leonard Nimoy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
He died of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at age 83. He apparently smoked for years.

Of all the actors I've grown up with, his character was the probably the most difficult for me to separate from the man.

Greg

Of all the actors I've grown up with, his character was the probably the most difficult for me to separate from the man.

Greg

That's true for me too. I’ve read several of his books including “I am not Spock”. He ended up writing another book after that explaining that he wasn’t disparaging the character as so many people assumed by the title of the book, but rather he cared deeply about the character and would never play him just to play him. He demanded significant rewrites for most of the movies where Spock appears. If Spock was to appear he had to be there for a very good reason and not just for set dressing. Ultimately, I think this is one of the reasons people cared about the character; he was never there for fluff, he mattered.

I found his books entertaining and informative. There is no woe is me type stuff in the books, but he does talk about some of the problems he had during his career. I recommend them if you liked Mr. Nimoy.

A legendary figure has left the earth. Arguably the most respected, "fascinating" character in sci-fi history. How truly sad for all fans and non fans alike. (V)

Last edited:
Wow. He will be missed. The Spock character was probably the single most iconic character of the entire Star Trek franchise.

I think I'll watch The Wrath of Khan tonight in tribute.

From Leonard Nimoy's Twitter feed:

Leonard Nimoy · @TheRealNimoy

27th Feb 2015 from TwitLonger
Leonard Nimoy 1931-2015

Hi all, as you all know, my Grandpa passed away this morning at 8:40 from end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He was an extraordinary man, husband, grandfather, brother, actor, author-the list goes on- and friend. Thank you for the warm condolences. May you all LLAP. - Dani

P.s. I will be putting special shirts up on our site, SHOPLLAP.com , where all of the proceeds will go to the COPD Foundation. I hope to hear from you all.

That's true for me too. I’ve read several of his books including “I am not Spock”. He ended up writing another book after that explaining that he wasn’t disparaging the character as so many people assumed by the title of the book, but rather he cared deeply about the character and would never play him just to play him. He demanded significant rewrites for most of the movies where Spock appears. If Spock was to appear he had to be there for a very good reason and not just for set dressing. Ultimately, I think this is one of the reasons people cared about the character; he was never there for fluff, he mattered.

I found his books entertaining and informative. There is no woe is me type stuff in the books, but he does talk about some of the problems he had during his career. I recommend them if you liked Mr. Nimoy.

It's pretty well known that Nimoy turned down an offer to apear in the now-very-much dubiously-regarded "Generations" because the appearance by Spock was going to be little more than window dressing (supposedly most of the lines intended for Spock were assigned to Scotty instead); he felt the character deserved more than a couple of throwaway lines. (In contrast of course he had accepted the Spock role in 'Reunification' which was quite significant.)

Although I am somewhat mixed on the JJ Abrams version of the Trekverse, I do think Zachary Quinto does a pretty good job with Spock, and I think the involvement/input of Nimoy was important in that. Nimoy and Quinto seemed to get along well and have good rapport.

I think Nimoy wanted to see the character handed forward to someone capable of doing it justice.

original.jpg

Last edited:
Leonard Nimoy passed away today, he was 83. Spock will be remembered by millions -V LLAP :sad:

Last edited:
Gone but definitely not forgotten:

Mark Lenard (Sarek) - 1996 - age 72
DeForest Kelley - 1999 - age 79
James Doohan - 2005 - age 85
Jane Wyatt (Sarek's wife) - 2006 - age 96
Majel Barrett - 2008 - age 76
Leonard Nimoy - 2015 - age 83

Still around:

William Shatner - age 83
Grace Lee Whitney (Yeoman Rand) - age 84
Walter Koenig - age 78
George Takei - age 77
Nichelle Nichols - age 82

I'm not sure I'm ready for that...just reading people quoting his death scene and the funeral in "Khan" and I'm tearing up.

Did you see his last tweet?

Yep, saw his last tweet. I do feel quite sad that Leonard is gone. Loved the Spock character. I did always notice that the unemotional Spock character so often was given the word "fascinating" to say, since fascination is an emotional response. :D

Gone but definitely not forgotten:

Mark Lenard (Sarek) - 1996 - age 72
DeForest Kelley - 1999 - age 79
James Doohan - 2005 - age 85
Jane Wyatt (Sarek's wife) - 2006 - age 96
Majel Barrett - 2008 - age 76
Leonard Nimoy - 2015 - age 83

Still around:

William Shatner - age 83
Grace Lee Whitney (Yeoman Rand) - age 84
Walter Koenig - age 78
George Takei - age 77
Nichelle Nichols - age 82

I wonder if Yoeman Rand is still rockin' the mini skirt

Too bad, but he lived a long life.

Ironic the Spock managed to survive aliens, the warp core death and rebirth, and yet Leonard was taken out by cigarette induced COPD.

Wow I just heard something on the radio as I was driving into the office about paying tribute to Leonard Limoy, he was definitely an iconic actor with such a unique voice...he will be missed.

+1

Teddy

Today is a said day folks. Leonard Nimoy who played Spock in the original STAR TREK died. It is a sad day indeed. "Live Long and Prosper!"

Unfortunaly, Spoke will not come back to life like he did in ST: The Search for Spock.

The good of the many outway the good of the few or the one but in this case its the opposite the good of the one outway the good of the many.

Back