HAS ANYBODY HERE FLOWN A KOSDON 29MM J1000?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhhhhh, I think motor dimensions aren't really an issue out in the open, but agree that the "inner workings" would best be left to the Research section if one doesn't want to be censored.

Cripes anyone can buy any size motor casing they want. Without a C-card or their own private venue to make propellant they're out of luck as far as filling the case with something that works.

Kurt

Ummm, you should read my message again. "Copying the casing is the easy part". If anyone wants to start a Research thread on the topic, I'll discuss the not-so-easy and not-so-obvious parts.

Even if someone has a "C-card", whatever that is, and a venue to make propellant, 9 out of 10 they'll junk a lot of hardware trying to clone these long reloads.

Old thread brought back to life?

There was an I800 in 29mm.

Or try a little J motor.:D

No idea how fast .It is a Kosdon J604 slow propellant.The fast comes in around a J1000. Just a 5' fiberglass tube and fins. Now I gotta make a tower for it.

Was the i800 36in long?
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
What's going on with the ends of these grains? Are they inhibited, or just some funky casting going on?

1-11-2018 10-29-37 AM.png

What's going on with the ends of these grains? Are they inhibited, or just some funky casting going on?

View attachment 335927

You haven't been reading the details of my posts. That is the inhibitor/insulator on the end of the bottom grain(s) in Kosdon's long motors. Think of it as a shock absorber. In Burnsim, you need to inhibit one end of the grain.

You haven't been reading the details of my posts. That is the inhibitor/insulator on the end of the bottom grain(s) in Kosdon's long motors. Think of it as a shock absorber. In Burnsim, you need to inhibit one end of the grain.

Gotcha- I assumed the insulator/inhibitor was some sort of separate piece- like a smaller (phenolic?) version of seal disc the on AT motors.

Since John doesn't know either I will ask.
What is a C-card?

M

Certification. Can't buy an M load without an L-3 certification. Sure if they have a cert project waiting they can buy one M load. If one owns a venue and obtains a waiver they can fly whatever they want. They can make whatever motor they want although if they don't know what they're doing they indeed will likely blow Hardware. Kurt

Certification. Can't buy an M load without an L-3 certification. Sure if they have a cert project waiting they can buy one M load.

With a business or university address, you can buy any motor using your credit card without the other C-card.

If one owns a venue and obtains a waiver they can fly whatever they want. They can make whatever motor they want although if they don't know what they're doing they indeed will likely blow Hardware. Kurt

In the day when there were no mentors and only a few people making apcp, I was that guy. It is much easier now with experienced mentors, online resources, and TRA research launches. But people still blow stuff up.

With a business or university address, you can buy any motor using your credit card without the other C-card.

In the day when there were no mentors and only a few people making apcp, I was that guy. It is much easier now with experienced mentors, online resources, and TRA research launches. But people still blow stuff up.

Yup, Sure is. I was merely pointing out what is possible with an individual not to infer it was wise to attempt.
A school or business would have to get an appropriate site to play at. Anyone can scope out sources on their own
whether or not they know what they're doing. Kurt

Last edited:
How many Newton Seconds in that i800 casing? Was there ever a certified load?

"Credit" card.

Fer cripes sake when I got my Junior Diver's card in 1968. C-card = "Certification" card so one could go rent s.c.u.b.a. tanks.
I was 12 and my brother was 10 when we took lessons. When we were ready to go to the deep end of the pool the instructors put standard
(for the time) 70cu ft. tanks on us and we promptly sank to the bottom of the 12 foot deep pool. We took our fins off, walked around for awhile then
walked up the slope to the shallow end. They laughed and said, "O.K., we got some tanks for you guys." They pulled out some 50's (50cu.ft.) and we were perfectly
neutral buoyant with them. In fact "Mike Nelson" in the 50's T.V. show "Sea Hunt" with Lloyd Bridges used "twin 50's". By ages 13 and 11 we continued on with the PADI advanced diver course took the written exam and passed. I think I got a 98% back then. I was stoked for decompression dives/repetitive dives using tables etc. but to get the advanced "C-card" we had to take 7 open water dives and that was hard to do when you can't drive. My father just barely put up with us when we disappeared under in a water filled stone quarry but worried like crazy.

So that's where I get "C-card" from. If one "doesn't" have an L3 "C-card" (certification card) they can't buy an M load from a reputable dealer. Kurt

Fer cripes sake when I got my Junior Diver's card in 1968. C-card = "Certification" card so one could go rent s.c.u.b.a. tanks.
I was 12 and my brother was 10 when we took lessons. When we were ready to go to the deep end of the pool the instructors put standard
(for the time) 70cu ft. tanks on us and we promptly sank to the bottom of the 12 foot deep pool. We took our fins off, walked around for awhile then
walked up the slope to the shallow end. They laughed and said, "O.K., we got some tanks for you guys." They pulled out some 50's (50cu.ft.) and we were perfectly
neutral buoyant with them. In fact "Mike Nelson" in the 50's T.V. show "Sea Hunt" with Lloyd Bridges used "twin 50's". By ages 13 and 11 we continued on with the PADI advanced diver course took the written exam and passed. I think I got a 98% back then. I was stoked for decompression dives/repetitive dives using tables etc. but to get the advanced "C-card" we had to take 7 open water dives and that was hard to do when you can't drive. My father just barely put up with us when we disappeared under in a water filled stone quarry but worried like crazy.

So that's where I get "C-card" from. If one "doesn't" have an L3 "C-card" (certification card) they can't buy an M load from a reputable dealer. Kurt

I watched Sea Hunt. I will NEVER scuba dive, someone always swims up from behind and cuts your airline.

M

It was LDRS 15 when Greg Muri fired an I800. Pretty sure Kosdon east loaned him the casing.I seem to remember only one of the grains being inhibited.
That motor was so loud and short..with the burn ending so abrubtly..that you could hear the echo roll across the trees. :)

Back