HAS ANYBODY HERE FLOWN A KOSDON 29MM J1000?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sigh. No interest in clones, therefore this nice long piece of 29mm stock that I have will be chopped and turned into many smaller cases.

I'd still think that people would be interested in pictures or dimensions. Maybe those people are just pyrobob and myself.

Bummer on the lack of clone interest. I'm remain safely in the historical documentation camp :).

Well, I'm holding off on buying any more 29mm casing stock because I would need to order from a different supplier for the 3 ft. length. Right now I buy from Amazon (free shipping) for a pretty good price at 2 ft. lengths, but I'd need 4 ft. lengths to make these bad boys. If we get the info and someone wants one, I'd start ordering materials to make them up for you guys.

Dan, have you tried purchasing your DOM stock from a local steel supplier, they can order you 12' lengths of the DOM tube usually for less per foot than you are buying it from Amazon dealers. I worked for a local steel supplier here (Pacific Steel), only thing you will have to give them is the O.D (1.125 iirc) and the wall thickness or I.D., it should save you quite a bit of money. I know we sold short lengths like 3' to people who wanted them, but it was at the 5' price, we made more on short sections per length than we did selling the whole 12' piece by the time it was all sold.

Dan, have you tried purchasing your DOM stock from a local steel supplier, they can order you 12' lengths of the DOM tube usually for less per foot than you are buying it from Amazon dealers. I worked for a local steel supplier here (Pacific Steel), only thing you will have to give them is the O.D (1.125 iirc) and the wall thickness or I.D., it should save you quite a bit of money. I know we sold short lengths like 3' to people who wanted them, but it was at the 5' price, we made more on short sections per length than we did selling the whole 12' piece by the time it was all sold.

Appreciate the advice! It's awfully convenient just ordering from Amazon in short lengths with free shipping. If the volume was higher (read: if there was any volume, think I missed the market), I'd be sourcing full sticks locally.

Appreciate the advice! It's awfully convenient just ordering from Amazon in short lengths with free shipping. If the volume was higher (read: if there was any volume, think I missed the market), I'd be sourcing full sticks locally.

Convenience is nice! I order stuff from Amazon and Flea Bay for that very same reason. Someday I would like to get into the EX stuff myself.

I scored on this Kosdon motor about 10 years ago from one of the rocket auction websites. Got the case and 2 of the slow loads ( J-604 ) for about 120$. Wish they were the fast loads. My buddy is building a min. dia. carbon fiber rocket for it now. Ive been told there were only 3 made.

I scored on this Kosdon motor about 10 years ago from one of the rocket auction websites. Got the case and 2 of the slow loads ( J-604 ) for about 120$. Wish they were the fast loads. My buddy is building a min. dia. carbon fiber rocket for it now. Ive been told there were only 3 made.

Very cool! I'd love to get my hands on one and I find it interesting that we have line of sight to 2 of the rumored 3 in existence on TRF.

I would love to get my hands on one of these motors and abuse some of my rockets.... :)

I saw Greg Muri fly one in the late '90s at either a Tripoli Atlanta or an Orangeburg launch. It was quite impressive, and a real sledgehammer that caused a few sore necks trying to keep up with it.

Okay guys-this may take a bit. my computer is so old there are no usable USB ports for my camera. And I lost my phone (camera) at the ROC launch last summer. I know.. I'm an idiot....maybe KenRico can help out.

What ever happened to getting photos and specs for this? Very interested in this as I have the I 800 case and several loads. Would be interesting to see if this could get cloned.

I picked up these 1" Kosdon from a buddy last weekend.

oneinchkosdon.jpg

kosdon%20reloads.jpg

Tony

What ever happened to getting photos and specs for this? Very interested in this as I have the I 800 case and several loads. Would be interesting to see if this could get cloned.
I'm sorry- this is buried in a foot locker several feet down under a ton of other rocket crap. It's amazing how much you accumulate in 40 years,,,crap, make that 50 years of this. Game plan is to start this weekend. Buried treasures, indeed, mateys! Yarrharhar!

I'm sorry- this is buried in a foot locker several feet down under a ton of other rocket crap. Buried treasures, indeed, mateys! Yarrharhar!

This thing is five footlockers and 4 totes down in a ridiculously crowded garage)

How can Dan cut me a clone on his new lathe if we don't dig it out and measure?

Sorry I'm late Dan, I just found out this existed :)

Ok- I promise to dig it out some time before summer starts. It gets so hot out here that's our building season until the playa cools off enough to breathe. I need some way back parts anyways. The grains may be no good by now anyway ;(

Ok- I promise to dig it out some time before summer starts. It gets so hot out here that's our building season until the playa cools off enough to breathe. I need some way back parts anyways. The grains may be no good by now anyway ;(
They'll be good to measure at the very least.

My guess is they're about three or four inches long, about 10 grains, smallest core around 1/4in, largest core around 11/16in, throat around 1/2in.

Wish I was nearby, I'd help you dig :)

My experience is that Frank's propellants age really well...that is I've never had a Kosdon Fast, Slow, or Dirty Harry load that didn't fire right up and burn like it was fresh out of Frank's garage! You should be good!

Old thread brought back to life? The Kosdon J1000 was 38mm, not 29mm. 3 grains, 6.25" long, 21/32" cores. Bottom grain had a 3/16" insulator/inhibitor. 1/2" nozzle. Certified as a J850, 900 N-s.

There was an I800 in 29mm.

Old thread brought back to life? The Kosdon J1000 was 38mm, not 29mm. 3 grains, 6.25" long, 21/32" cores. Bottom grain had a 3/16" insulator/inhibitor. 1/2" nozzle. Certified as a J850, 900 N-s.

There was an I800 in 29mm.

If we're talking about THAT motor...I still have one in inventory! May have to pull it out and document.

Also have the larger 1.5-1116 hardware, but only research loads for it.

Long, gold cases are fun!:cool:

If we're talking about THAT motor...I still have one in inventory! May have to pull it out and document.

Also have the larger 1.5-1116 hardware, but only research loads for it.

Long, gold cases are fun!:cool:

Documentation of these would be incredible. We have the resources to clone them, albeit without the super nasty inhibitor used.

Documentation of these would be incredible. We have the resources to clone them, albeit without the super nasty inhibitor used.

A discussion about cloning Kosdon motors and loads should probably end up in the Research forum. Copying the casings is the easy part. ;-)

Hey does anybody know if LDRS is going to have an EX day?

Bring it up to NXRS this year! EX all four days!

and you'd have a crowd of people wanting to see that motor (myself included)...

A discussion about cloning Kosdon motors and loads should probably end up in the Research forum. Copying the casings is the easy part. ;-)

Ahhhhhhhh, I think motor dimensions aren't really an issue out in the open, but agree that the "inner workings" would best be left to the Research section if one doesn't want to be censored.

Cripes anyone can buy any size motor casing they want. Without a C-card or their own private venue to make propellant they're out of luck as far as filling the case with something that works.

Kurt

Back