how do I mount my eggtimer in the nosecone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taiwanluthiers

Reaction score
I am at a loss as to how to mount the eggtimer TRF in the nosecone. They said no allthreads because it messes with the signal, but if that's out, then how do I mount it?

003.jpg004.jpg

This is how I'm planning on mounting the thing... The binding post is where I will attach the e matches for deployment, and the wire goes inside the coupler which connects to deployment channel. I'm not sure if this will work.

I soldered a toggle switch to the deployment power, and the toggle switch will go on the bulk plate where I can turn it on by removing the nosecone when the rocket is on the launch pad, then putting it back on. I don't know where to get that fancy rotary stuff that I see a lot of people here use...

View attachment 256010View attachment 256011

This is how I'm planning on mounting the thing... The binding post is where I will attach the e matches for deployment, and the wire goes inside the coupler which connects to deployment channel. I'm not sure if this will work.

I soldered a toggle switch to the deployment power, and the toggle switch will go on the bulk plate where I can turn it on by removing the nosecone when the rocket is on the launch pad, then putting it back on. I don't know where to get that fancy rotary stuff that I see a lot of people here use...

Many vendors have them, here is just one source. https://doghouse.blastzone.org/switches.html

Group Builder owns TRF

https://www.groupbuilder.com/tos/

6. Content Posted by members

6.2. By posting content on the Websites, you also grant, and warrant that you have the authority to grant, the Company a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive worldwide right and license to display, reproduce, adapt, modify, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, play, make available to the public, use, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to any and all content that you post on the Websites. If you do not wish to grant Group Builder these rights, do not submit content to the Website.

Last edited:
A caution on the toggle switch on the bulkplate: your recovery gear, especially a quick-link on that eyebolt can rattle around or shift under G-load and bump the switch, interrupting or completely turning off power. Get the rotary. It's worth the extra effort.
-Ken

The switch only turns off deployment power... main power can't be switched off unless I remove the battery.

I made it so that it is in the main chute compartment, meaning by the time there's an opportunity to bump it the main chute will have already opened.

It was all I could find at radio shack.

The other problem is I don't know how to drill a 1/2" hole into fiberglass. The stuff already eats drill bits, and drilling 1/4" hole was already such a struggle.

The switch only turns off deployment power... main power can't be switched off unless I remove the battery.

I made it so that it is in the main chute compartment, meaning by the time there's an opportunity to bump it the main chute will have already opened.

The other problem is I don't know how to drill a 1/2" hole into fiberglass. The stuff already eats drill bits, and drilling 1/4" hole was already such a struggle.
I have used the cheap bits and gave up. Buy the high end bit once, spend the money, then save the money by not buying several. As a cheap you can buy the step bits Harbor Freight sells and replace them as they are on sale with coupons regularly.

Spend the time and order stuff in advance to save shipping. Look at it as risk VS reward. Great rocket, lots of love went into it, lots of time and money, then cut corners and suffer the loss of the rocket (or someone hurt due to non-deployment), nothing saved. Not preaching just sharing some of my "it'll work OK, DUH moments", I have had a few. Haven't earned my Darwin Award patch yet, but got close on a few occasions.

I'm modifying the switch mount a bit.

Basically what will happen is I'll mount the switch to the sled and flip it through the air hole with a small screwdriver.

Latest posts

Back