What's the best quality low power launch pad?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hal8472

Reaction score
Well, it has been a while and the old starter set launch pad has not stood the test of time. I want to buy another pad but do not want another cheap one that I will have to replace after a year. The only pads I have found are cheap starter sets. Is there a durable low power launch pad out there?

Andrew

Some of the cheap ones work great if you stay within the low power category. What power category are you looking at?

There are a few out there, but honestly, for the price, build your own.

Well if you don't abuse them or run over them with the car.... The standard Estes "starter-kit" launch pad should hold up fine. Mine is 21 years old this year. :)

An alternative is here at this link >>> https://nar.org/NARTS/mahler/ultra.html

This is a shoddy pic, but I use my camera tripod as a launch pad. It's adjustable to the height I want it at, and it's really compact. I had to fabricate a 4' x 6" blast base from some wood, installed a 3/4" long threaded hex nut into the wood that my camera adapter would screw into (bought at Lowe's) and installed a drill chuck to hold the launch rod. A typical Estes blast deflector goes on last. If this idea sounds appealing, I'll take some descriptive photos for you.

Tripod Launch Pad.jpg

Nice and simple always works. Is that an up-scaled Trident II on the Pad?

NICE. Does it use the "vent" holes from outer tubes up to the upper airframe?

Regarding "inexpensive" (not cheap) & something that you can grow with...I read about somebody using a jawstand for a rail launcher, and I thought it was a great idea...I just sprung for a pad, some I'm not in a rush to get one of these:

Rockwell Jawstand on Amazon

I figure, if you drilled a hole into a block of wood for your launch rail, and gripped it in the jawstand, and BYOB-D (Bring Your Own Blast Deflector), you could have not only a lifetime launch pad, but also something that would help you with home-improvement projects around the house.

Has anyone tried using this?

Also, JonRocket sells a part to use to convert a regular camera tripod into a launcher -- again, BYOB-D.
JonRockets Odd'l Rockets Tripod Converter

Honestly, for the price everybody charges for cheap pieces of plastic, almost anything would be a better alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. I think the best suggestion is the camera tripod. Solid and sturdy. The odd roc attachment seems pretty simple and easier to make than wait for the shipment.

Ditto to the camera tripod and drill chuck setup. You can usually pick up a tripod super cheap at your local Goodwill or equivalent. Same for an old electric drill (easiest to get a cordless with the no-key chuck, as people dump them all the time when the batteries die). I took apart the cordless drill and cut the spindle (that holds the chuck) down, pressed it into a scrap block of aluminum with a threaded hole to match the tripod's camera attachment. Finish off with a 6x6 ceramic tile blast deflector from Home Depot scrap.
-Ken

I'll second the jawstand option, with a caveat. It's definitely overkill if you are only planning to launch low power rockets.

I've got mine set up with a 1/2" drill chuck, so I can take anything up to an 8' 1010 rail if I stake down the feet and/or add pipe to make the base wider. It's a little overboard for my 1/8" and 3/16" rods.

IMG_0661.jpg

At one point Rockwell was selling these on eBay for $50 including shipping, but that no longer appears to be the case.

And FWIW 1/2" drill chucks take an odd sized bolt/thread pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_0661[1].jpg
    IMG_0661[1].jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
I'll second the jawstand option, with a caveat. It's definitely overkill if you are only planning to launch low power rockets.

I've got mine set up with a 1/2" drill chuck, so I can take anything up to an 8' 1010 rail if I stake down the feet and/or add pipe to make the base wider. It's a little overboard for my 1/8" and 3/16" rods.

View attachment 256038

At one point Rockwell was selling these on eBay for $50 including shipping, but that no longer appears to be the case.

And FWIW 1/2" drill chucks take an odd sized bolt/thread pattern.

+1 on this - was just going to state the same !

Best 'value' in a launch pad .. and will fold up to fit in a trunk .

Once you use one you will never go back to a saw horse or pvc or Estes pad again .

Just having your rail or rod off the ground and adjustable is great, but when you go to fold up there is no real hardware, fasterners or pieces that come off the JawStand .

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16156839151769690738?output=search&q=rockwell%20jawstand&oq=rockwell%20jawstand&prds=paur:ClkAsKraX6f7c-KbHiPy6YDRBSb7KNfzDjYumzxm9ckTXwgLtgZabmzazOeFnogBl7RiXapQUCF-3h0pYnTc398VzSLwE8g0DInSCpMsSR82xEG852X3FUFAxRIZAFPVH71B57w-zqWrwNvl9l1UG7X63ccSkA,scoring:tp&sa=X&ei=QdTwVMu-GoSsogTb1YGACA&ved=0CHAQ8wIwAQ

Kenny

in the NAR magazine was a aluminum, folding saw horse with 1 or multiple 3/8" drill chucks to mount the rods.

View attachment 256212View attachment 256213

I used the folding saw horse to build the LPR pads for the club. I used a 1.5" x 1.5" piece of oak on the top. Five 1/4" holes were drill vertically and then holes drilled horizontally with 10-20 threaded inserts screwed in. Wing screw are used through the inserts to clamp the rods in the holes. It needs some oil on the screw threads once in a while, but for five rods on the rack, it was much cheaper then five drill chucks.

I too have dismissed chucks. I opted for the photography tripod. Taking the tripod head to Home Depot I was quickly able to find a connector. The tripod adaptor for sale has the advantage of screw to change rods. But really I don't need to change rods. Or if I feel like changing rods there will only be two choices 3/8 or 1/2 in. These I can easily glue to threaded connector (and pay 83 cents vs $12).

The one change I added to the tripod is additional stability. An eye bolt on each leg near the head to connect to tent pegs further out. Still lots of snow here or I would take a picture. I am not launching heavy rockets but like the added stability just in case.

I too have dismissed chucks. I opted for the photography tripod. Taking the tripod head to Home Depot I was quickly able to find a connector. The tripod adaptor for sale has the advantage of screw to change rods. But really I don't need to change rods. Or if I feel like changing rods there will only be two choices 3/8 or 1/2 in. These I can easily glue to threaded connector (and pay 83 cents vs $12).

The one change I added to the tripod is additional stability. An eye bolt on each leg near the head to connect to tent pegs further out. Still lots of snow here or I would take a picture. I am not launching heavy rockets but like the added stability just in case.

Eye bolts down at the ground for pegs (or old screwdrivers, which have a nice handle to use) add a lot of stability without the tripping hazard of guy lines. Another option is to hang/tie a heavy object (gallon jug of water or sand) to the lower center links that connect the tripod legs together. Just some other thoughts. Either way might be all the stabilization you need.

Don

Back