NASA’s Upgraded Crawler Transporter-2 Takes Test Drive With SLS Modifications

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
https://www.americaspace.com/?p=77604

CT26-AS.jpg

Somebody doesn’t know of what they write.
“Previously there were two 700 kw generators inside the crawler to help power it up. Now there are two 1500 kw generators, in addition to the two locomotive 2750 hp motors to propel the crawler down the crawler way.”

The crawler works just like a modern diesel/electric locomotive. There are two great big diesel engines; they were once ALCO (American Locomotive Co.) motors; now they appear to be Cummins. These engines drive a pair of electric generators the output from which power the electric motors that actually drive the treads.

It doesn’t surprise me that they replaced the ALCO motors as ALCO closed up shop in 1969 and parts for their motors are getting hard to find. Just ask the Arkansas & Missouri RR.

This would be great to put up against the hot rods on "Street Outlaws" - you could really crush the competition!

Meters per gallon?

More like gallons per meter... :D

EDIT - actually, if the figure of 190 gallons per mile is correct, then that translates to about 8.5 meters / gallon. So not quite as bad as all that... :surprised:

Last edited:
Of course, 190 gallons per mile assumes that the crawler can make top speed when she is fully loaded.

It's interesting that some of the fastest vehicles imaginable get a ride on one of the slowest.

World's LARGEST Hybrid!!!!

“The best locomotive is an electric one; so long as it carries its own generator along with it”
I’m paraphrasing here and I can’t name who first said it but the above gave birth to the diesel/electric locomotive.
EMD produced the FT-1 starting in 1939 and while there had been previous D/E Locomotives before this the FT-1 is given credit for being the locomotive that killed steam.
Even today’s modern D/E locomotives are not true hybrids, as we think of them in automotive terms, as they don’t carry around batteries to store excess generated energy to be used when needed. Such batteries would require a trailing box car to haul them in.
This is changing even as I write this.

Let's see, 5,280 divided by 190 equals....27.79 feet per gallon. I want one.

Back