Fin removal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
OK, I'm fishing for opinions on removing a fin that's been glued on. On a recent build, I found that one of my fins is slightly crooked (not normal to the tube), despite having used the guillotine fin jig, thereby proving that even very good tools can be thwarted by impatience. I'm tempted to try to slice the thing off and reattach it, but it has a TTW mounting tab that is probably pretty well attached internally. OTOH, the fin has so much contact length to the body tube that a TTW tab is probably overkill. The tab is glued to both the motor mount tube and the centering rings for and aft of it. I could probably just let it go with no ill effects, but it will likely always bother me. Or, I could cut the fin off and leave the tab in place, and just reglue to the top of the tab.

That's a good thought, I'm not sure if I still have one of those. Steaming works for Titebond I, as I recall, but I've used TB II, which is allegedly waterproof for outdoor use... OTOH, I wonder if I can steam the balsa and basically warp it into shape?

Back