Retainer Ring Placement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
When you build a rocket, and use a retainer ring, how deep do you set it? I have two builds that are near minimal diameter. On one, I set the ring so that when a motor is loaded, the ring just touches the edge of the BT. On the other, I set the ring so that , when unloaded, the ring just touches the edge.

In the first example, the ring is not fully tight when the MMT is empty. In the second, some of the threads are visible when the MMT is loaded. Which do you think is best?

Ok I have to admit. I'm surprised. No one has taken the time to input on this. That's quite interesting.

I set mine so that loaded they are flush with rear CR. That way the MMT is being pushed against the rear CR and the thrust is being distributed across it and can't "slip upwards".

Excellent. That's just the math I needed. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I haven't made any minimum diameter rockets ( or close to minimum), so this has not been an issue. I would think if you are building minimum diameter and are concerned about drag, it would be best not to have a discontinuity between the BT and the ring when a motor is loaded.

Back