Need suggestions for quick to get and easy to use Altimeter.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockitship

Reaction score
Sacramento CA, soon to be Huntsville Alabama
I have an ARTS 2 that I cannot figure out how to get it to connect to my PC. I have no more time to fiddle with it so I am giving up. Now I need to find an altimeter that I can get my hands on in very short order and that is easy to work with and not fussy like the ARTS 2 has been. I need something that will work for sure. DATA logging would be nice. :eyeroll:

Thanks to anyone's suggestions.

Quickly... the $100 on the RRC3 includes a dongle. The altimeter by itself is only like $75.

Stratologgers are very good. Dependable. They are preset to 700' for main deploy but easily programmed to 1,000'. Buy direct from Perfect Flite for the best deal. Get the dongle as well so you can download data. With the dongle you can also program main deploy to the nearest foot and you can set a delay for your apogee deploy. WHen I use two altimeters, I set one to 0.25 sec. after apogee as my redundant deploy. THen I set main deploy charges at 50' apart.

Got the dongles. The rocket is 7.5 airframe so there is plenty of room for the electronics. I already have one altimeter in it. I wanted a backup.
Rockitship
Assuming you mean data transfer kits...?
What's your primary altimeter?

I really like the Ravens. They are a little pricey but I like the small foot print and they work out of the box you dont even need to plug them into a computer. Apogee should have them in stock and you wont find faster shipping in the business.

I really like the Ravens. They are a little pricey but I like the small foot print and they work out of the box you dont even need to plug them into a computer. Apogee should have them in stock and you wont find faster shipping in the business.
Me too - I have a pair of Raven2's and I love them for their size and capabilities. Great little altimeter. I didn't mention them here as the OP was looking for an "easy-to-use" altimeter and I wouldn't exactly put a Raven in that category, granted I've never tried flying one right out of the box before without programming.

I'd see myself ordering more in the future...

For the money you cannot beat a Missileworks RRC2+. It does not have all the bells and whistles of the RRC3 or some of the others I think this is the ticket.

Me too - I have a pair of Raven2's and I love them for their size and capabilities. Great little altimeter. I didn't mention them here as the OP was looking for an "easy-to-use" altimeter and I wouldn't exactly put a Raven in that category, granted I've never tried flying one right out of the box before without programming.

I'd see myself ordering more in the future...

you can wire them and just go the defaults are pretty good for 99% of users out of the box. The software is not terrible either.

you can wire them and just go the defaults are pretty good for 99% of users out of the box. The software is not terrible either.
Good to know! Yes, I'd say the software is better than most interfaces.

Back