State of the forum

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok now, EVERYBODY......

We've all had our chance to weigh in, snipe at someone else, piss & moan, get your grievances off your chest, and generally add to what's becoming an ugly & nasty atmosphere. Some of you actually have valid reasons for feeling the way you do - fine. But enough already.

So....

EVERYONE JUST CHILL OUT AND GO FLY SOME ROCKETS, fer chrissakes.

Have some fun, get outside, go burn some AP, imbibe in your choice of soothing substances, and just relax.
Ignore whoever you can't stand, and enjoy the ones you do (there's plenty of both I'm sure).

And those of you who post things just to piss someone off, or to stir up trouble - just stop it. Or better yet, just go away.

Please.

s6

There has been a lot of discussion about "The Rules" lately, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I can find where they are posted on this site without searching through the old posts by notable others who frequently cite them. I PM'd the Admin but as of this writing he has not responded. Maybe it's right in front of my nose but I can't find it. Has someone rearranged the display case or what?
The following comes to mind:

Gold Hat to Fred C. Dobbs said:
"Rules? We ain't got no rules. We don't need no rules! I don't have to show you any stinkin'rules!"

EVERYONE JUST CHILL OUT AND GO FLY SOME ROCKETS, fer chrissakes.

Ignore whoever you can't stand, and enjoy the ones you do (there's plenty of both I'm sure).

And those of you who post things just to piss someone off, or to stir up trouble - just stop it. Or better yet, just go away.

Please.

s6

Sound advice

Go fly a rocket
If it's too cold or windy to fly, then ....
start a build
sand a fin
make a fillet
prime something! A rocket, a pet, your spouse - whatever! :wink: (well, let's just stay with rockets)

Rules - Laws / Laws - Rules...

"At this point, what difference does it make"...:eyeroll:

Okay, I don't want to throw gas on the embers, but can someone calmly and objectively explain what the initial issue was with the rocket itself? I have a V2 from Wildman that I recently built and from all this commentary it is implied that I should be aware of some type of possible defect (that surely would be promptly resolved by the wonderful folks at Wildman should my kit be one of the ones with an issue). I don't want the rehash of who said what and how it hurt whomever's feelings. I get why forum members have deleted posts about the issue due to the tone or interpretation of their finding, but in the end the one thing I don't understand is what the issue may be with the kit.

I'm only asking in the interest of safety and only care about objective data about the kit. If this information resides somewhere else on TRF please redirect me to that thread. Thank you.

Everyone hold hands and start singing

[video=youtube;bYJMtn6IJeE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYJMtn6IJeE[/video]

This place is a powerhouse of knowledge and wisdom that's dispensed more freely than beer at an open bar.

I know that for myself, I have been turned off on many occasions by trying to post accurate engineering information on the interwebs only to have some (well intentioned?) amateur dispute it and post inaccurate, contradictory info. Makes me want to walk away from websites like TRF for a while. So I do.

I do not know how the average web surfer could ever determine who is posting authoritatively correct, scientifically correct, ultimately helpful information, and who is posting personal experience (as in, "I got away with this once but I don't know why") that is decidedly incorrect to the point of being dangerous. A few years back I read some posts by an "expert" on another website stating that forward fins on model rockets ADD stability, which made me wonder how many people were reading that nonsense and accepting it as fact. The internet can be a dangerous place.

I was criticized here for posting incorrect info recently. These other learned folks even posted a link to a technical paper to "prove" the correctness of their position....but do not seem to have actually read that paper....which repeated what I had said. Oh well. Enough time wasted there.

On a website dealing with technical matters, such as TRF, we need a better system to determine what is technically correct and what is not. This would stop a lot of arguments and bickering.

Last edited:
I do not know how the average web surfer could ever determine who is posting authoritatively correct, scientifically correct, ultimately helpful information, and who is posting personal experience (as in, "I got away with this once but I don't know why") that is decidedly incorrect to the point of being dangerous.

Even off the 'web this is a problem!

The only thing I can recommend is that you never take a single source as authoritative. With any quest for knowledge, research is the key. Read, question, compare, explore and finally experiment.

Krusty

On a website dealing with technical matters, such as TRF, we need a better system to determine what is technically correct and what is not. This would stop a lot of arguments and bickering.

No disagreement here. I think (nearly) everyone would be open to suggestions if you thought of something that was workable.

Some time ago we experimented with a rating system that would allow forum members to rate which other members generally posted good, reliable information. The hope was that those new or unfamiliar with the forum would then have some ability to rate which members, and which posts, to take more seriously.

The experiment was an abject failure. Several members went out of their way to sabotage it and the attempt was widely criticized. It lasted less than 48 hours.

I agree that some kind of system would be very useful. If you can think of something workable, I'm sure that we would certainly be willing to consider it.

It's just like a (real/actual/working) democracy - it's inherently a messy process, and there WILL be disagreements, differing points of view, and most importantly - many different interpretations of "the truth". The trick is to strike a balance so that ENOUGH civility and consideration is maintained, and the system is functioning. But this means that some folks, sometimes, WILL get "butthurt" now and then.

I think TRF maintains a pretty healthy balance, quite honestly - warts and all.

s6

Yes, a "Scientific Concensus"....what a brilliant idea! I can see it all now: "Four out of five scientists agree, McDonald's is better than Burger King."

Hold the onions, please. :wink:

"Four out of five scientists agree, smoking is better than McDonald's."

Lung cancer almost always suffers. With a heart attack, at least it might be sudden.

My mother died of lung cancer. A really slow bad way to go. Near the very end she didn't know who she was or who I was, due to so little oxygen getting to the brain.

She had smoked for most of her life, quit for about 20 years, but I found out later she'd started up again sometime in her last 10 (but never at the house). She had a bad cough since I was a kid, so it had to be the smoking she did before she quit for those 20 years. But if she had never quit she'd have probably died years earlier.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Tim,

You bring up a good point. I post less and less here because it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep any thread civil and on topic.

...and this thread is proving my (and your) point.

For those of you who blame the lack of rules for your behavior, I would like to propose these:

1. Read the forums rules and guidelines before posting for the first time.
2. Search the other posts to see if your topic is already covered.
3. Use a meaningful title for your thread.
4. Be civil. Personal differences should be handled through email or IM and not through posts displayed to everyone.
5. Stay on topic. Do not post new problems on someone else's thread and interrupt a topic of discussion.
6. Ignore spammers, respond to them personally and not through the board, or report them.
7. Do not submit a post that requires readers to download a large attachment. Either explain the attachment or, better yet, provide a link to the information.
8. In order to be understood by most people, use correct spelling, grammar and avoid slang unless you know the word or phrase will be understood by other members.
9. Do not double post (post the same message twice in one thread) or cross post (place the same message across several forums).
10. Act in a give and take manner; help others as often as or more than you ask for help.
11. Do not use all caps or SHOUT in your posts. In addition, one exclamation point is enough.
12. When replying to a post, do not quote more from the previous post than you have to.
13. Do not use someone else’s thread for a private conversation.
14. Watch your sense of humor, posts may be read by people from a variety of backgrounds and ages.
15. Do not use a huge and annoying signature, a modest signature is fine.
16. Do not post content that violates a copyright.
17. Do not post ”empty” or useless responses, such as just ”lol” or ”I don't know”, or "This will never work". Only post responses when you have something to contribute.
18. Write concisely and do not ramble.
19. Do not use words like ”urgent” or ”important” in your subject line, be patient.
20. Do not chastise newbies.

Back