Homemade Nomex Chute Protector

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gna

average joe-overbuild member
Reaction score
Ok, I know I've seen the thread before, but I've used the search feature and Google and I can't find it. I need some guidance on making Nomex Chute Protectors. I have an old nomex flame suit that was getting thrown out at work and some nomex thread. I have Estes Partion, Levithan, and Argent kits. I need a little help on sizing the chute protectors and stitching them up.

I look at https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...able_Wadding/Sunward_18in_Parachute_Protector and they don't look that hard to make. Any advice?

The general consensus is the minimum square side dimension should be >= 3 x the airframe diameter. For example a 3" OD airframe would use a 9" x 9" square protector or larger.

It looks like most are constructed from 7 oz. Nomex fabric.

Bob.

The general consensus is the minimum square side dimension should be >= 3 x the airframe diameter. For example a 3" OD airframe would use a 9" x 9" square protector or larger.

It looks like most are constructed from 7 oz. Nomex fabric.

Bob.

Sounds good. So the Leviathan would need a 9X9; Partizon and Argent 7 1/2X 7 1/2.

It's not hard at all, you would want to hem the edges as well as the hole for the shock cord so it doesn't unravel (though you could also just cover the edge in epoxy or something if you don't have a sewing machine). Apogee and others list the size for specific tubes, in general 3x the tube diameter square for the size needed... you might be able to make a bunch from an old fire suit. Probably even make a little profit on the side by selling some extras...

In fact there's this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MULTICAM-C...725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d33df8f2d

Enough to make a bunch of cute protectors...

One thing I can't figure out, why is the protector size based on the airframe size instead of the parachute size?

For my Excel DD, the provided 12" drogue chute is tiny. Wrapping it in the 18x18" square protector suggested by Apogee for a 4" airframe just seems absurd (the guidance here suggests 12x12" instead, but still). In fact the chute lines are probably shorter than the diagonal for the 18" square, so I'd suspect it might not even come all the way out of the protector, or that the protector might interfere with the inflation/operation of the drogue (it would certainly be flapping right in front of it, might as well just forget about the drogue and just use the protector as a streamer :) ). So I re-used an extra GLR Kevlar protector I already had (this one for the 2.6" airframe), which still easily surrounds the tiny drogue. I guess the only concern I could think of is that it might come unwrapped inside the rocket being so small, to deal with that once the shock cord comes out of the burrito I did one turn around the outside (so the shock cord helps keep the burrito together), and I did my first flight on this rocket (motor eject, main parachute only) with the drogue wrapped this way in the upper parachute bay and it was still wrapped when it landed. I wrapped the cord once around the 18x18" protector for the 40" main the same way and it deployed just fine (and this is what I've done on my other rockets as well without issue, I generally try to help ensure that as the shock cord extends it will help open the burrito up from the inside by having an extra fold of cord inside the wrap, etc).

So is all the extra protector material simply to fill the airframe, or based on an assumption that larger airframe diameters means larger chutes and this doesn't apply to the drogue, or...?

Larger airframe means more space for burning bits to burn parachutes, hence the need for larger protectors. I think when airframes get too large (more than 6") it would be better to use deployment bags where only the parachute itself is protected.

If you wrap your chute burrito style, all you need is the size sufficient to enclose it completely. That will be determined by the size of the chute.
A Sky-Angle or Rocketman type chute will definitely require a larger size nomex than a Top Flight or Spherachute type of the same size...for instance.

The recommendations given here are mostly valid , it just depends on ones style of flying.
Some just stuff the nomex in the tube beneath the chute and again this requires a larger size to protect vs one that wraps around a chute.

So many choices is why it's hard to give a definite answer, unless your specific way of doing this is known.

Anyone know where I could get a yard or two of Nomex fabric? The 7 oz sounds good.

www.magnafabrics.com

They have a few to choose from - search for Nomex. I found their online ordering doesn't work for single yards but the owner is good to order with over the phone.

I'm in the process of making some deployment bags and chute protectors from their 4.5 nomex. A yard will do you several of each.

www.magnafabrics.com

They have a few to choose from - search for Nomex. I found their online ordering doesn't work for single yards but the owner is good to order with over the phone.

I'm in the process of making some deployment bags and chute protectors from their 4.5 nomex. A yard will do you several of each.
The 4.5 ounce per square yard sage green poplin fabric is used for military flight suits. It may be a bit thin for a chute protector. The 12 ounce per linear yard rip stop fabric is 7.2 ounce per square yard which I think would be a better choice for burning BP particle protection. YMMV.

Bob

One thing I can't figure out, why is the protector size based on the airframe size instead of the parachute size?

I believe the original thought behind chute protectors is that you would crumple them and drop them in like recovery wadding. Perhaps wrapping the parachute was an afterthought.

www.magnafabrics.com

An order was placed! You're right, he was great to work with. When I told him I was using it for d-bag and chute protectors for rockets he asked if I had heard about it him on TRF! Word gets around!+

Thanks...

1 yard minimum on most fabrics. the more you buy the better the price per yard. The 4.5oz nomex was $20 for a yard + $4.95 shipping for me.

I ordered 2 yards of the 12 oz ripstop. The 12 oz is the weight for a linear yard, not square yard. It comes 60" wide so it is about a 7 oz per square yard. Larry called it the Tank Commander. The "Pilot" is the lighter ripstop that flight suits are made from. He said the lighter stuff has actual Kevlar in the weave where the Tank Commander is just the Nomex Aramid.

The site lists it at $15 per yard, but that is by the roll for 100 yard rolls. He lists it at $20 per yard if you by it by the yard.

Back