Finding 4F Powder in Northwest Suburbs of Chicago Area

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuttgojira

Reaction score
So, I am looking at getting my level 1 & 2 certs this summer. I am planning on running a dual deployment system for my level 2. I understand in Illinois there is a requirement of a FOID card when purchasing black powder. However, does anyone know of any local gun shops that have 4F in stock? (Local being Northern Illinois/Greater Chicago Area/Southern Wisconsin)

Last edited:
You will want a shop that specializes in muzzleloader/ antique firearms. If you can find a shooting range around, that may be a good place to ask around...

Later!

--Coop

I have found that very few retail establishments carry black powder any longer. The reasoning I get is that their insurance coverage risk rating goes through the roof and they can't afford to stock it. My only success in the last 5 years is to buy from distributors. Unfortunately, at least for Goex brand, I don't see one close to you: https://www.goexpowder.com/distributors.html.

Your best bet is to go across the border into Wisconsin.
Much easier to get there at most hunting/fishing stores like BassPro or Cablela's

Area you mentioned in Illinois......FORGET about it! Ain't happening. My sister in Northbrook has a FOID card, and we spent a day on line/calling everywhere, no one has it. [or we couldn't find one]
Her gun club/shooting range is even in Wisconsin,just over the border....it's THAT bad.

If you fly at Bong or with QCRS, ask around at a launch..... they may be able to steer you in the right direction.

Last edited:
So, I am looking at getting my level 1 & 2 certs this summer. I am planning on running a dual deployment system for my level 2. I understand in Illinois there is a requirement of a FOID card when purchasing black powder. However, does anyone know of any local gun shops that have 4F in stock? (Local being Northern Illinois/Greater Chicago Area/Southern Wisconsin)

Sorry to be a turd, but I would not discuss this on a public forum. ;)

I have my FOID card, UT CCW, FL CCW, and working on my IL CCW, so I am very familiar with the hoops that need to jumped through for IL.

Send me a PM with your personal contact info and I will do my best to help you out. FFFF IS available in IL, but I would put the brakes on this particular thread. This subject matter is better discussed in person. :handshake:

Sounds like you have the same issues in Illinois as we have in the People's Republik of New York. I have friends that live in PA and I have family in OH. Much easier to get it there. 3F is almost as effective as 4F so you can settle for that if you cannot find the other.

Try Reineman's True Value in Burlington, WI. They sell guns and is where I bought my 4F BP but it was a couple years ago.

Back