Cesaroni starter question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatgeek

Reaction score
MY daughter's TARC team was having an interesting issue with Cesaroni starters the last two weekend launches. Two weeks ago, we had several that just never seemed to get continuity at all. Not sure if that was a failure of the 12V launch system or the starters. The launch system was getting pretty flaky, so we replaced it with a 9V launch system*. This time, the system would hold continuity through the whole countdown until a fraction of a second before launch, when it would be lost. It might have been lost just before pushing the red button or right at the same time. About a third of the starters failed this way. After pulling and replacing the starter, I checked the ones that had lost continuity by shorting them across a car battery. No joy at all--they were dead. These are all Cesaroni 29mm motors using the standard yellow wire starters.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I've never had trouble with Cesaroni starters before.

* We intended to buy a 12V launch system, but the vendor sent a 9V. We had 6xC batteries in it, but theoretically can upgrade to an 11.something V LiPo battery. Not hauling the car battery out has a distinct value!

Not sure what could be happening but I would guess it's the ignition system as I've flown a lot of CTI over the past few months with no igniter failures. One other thought, what temperature was it roughly where you where flying? Could be igniters failing in low temperature.

A TARC team will want to get reliable and consistent results. That includes a reliable launch "system".

I recommend a small gel-cell type rechargeable battery. Lots of power,
easy to haul around, easy to recharge, and cheap.

You could use a 3S Lipo, but these require a more expensive lipo charger.

From your description - those were likely bad "starters" - and I agree that is unusual for Cesaroni.

Last edited:
Well, you can rule out low temperatures, since the North West has had almost summer like weather for the past two weeks. Do you have a continuity tester and do you test the starters be fore placing them in the motor? I always test my starters before placing them in the motor, plus my launch system does a continuity test before launch. Rough handling of the ignitors could also be causing your problem, along with an under powered voltage on the launch system. I hope you can correct this problem and have great launches.

MY daughter's TARC team was having an interesting issue with Cesaroni starters the last two weekend launches. Two weeks ago, we had several that just never seemed to get continuity at all. Not sure if that was a failure of the 12V launch system or the starters. The launch system was getting pretty flaky, so we replaced it with a 9V launch system*. This time, the system would hold continuity through the whole countdown until a fraction of a second before launch, when it would be lost. It might have been lost just before pushing the red button or right at the same time. About a third of the starters failed this way. After pulling and replacing the starter, I checked the ones that had lost continuity by shorting them across a car battery. No joy at all--they were dead. These are all Cesaroni 29mm motors using the standard yellow wire starters.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I've never had trouble with Cesaroni starters before.

* We intended to buy a 12V launch system, but the vendor sent a 9V. We had 6xC batteries in it, but theoretically can upgrade to an 11.something V LiPo battery. Not hauling the car battery out has a distinct value!

Over last couple of days we have had reports from several TARC teams about the e-matches failing. We are in contact with the supplier to find to root cause of this problem. First indications are that only "mini" igniters are affected. Dealers will replace bad e-matches.

Regards,
Jeroen @ CTI

Thanks all for the replies, and especially CTI for weighing in. It's nice to have manufacturers being proactive and supporting customers.

Weather wasn't an issue. It was bright and sunny, mid-50's, and virtually no wind. Rough handling also shouldn't have been a problem. At least, handling was no rougher than we've had success with in the past. We did not check continuity ahead of time, but the launch system did show continuity up to moments before launch.

I wonder how lot acceptance testing missed this problem.

Back