Don't take my word for it...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For as good as RocketReviews is... I've gotta say some of their .rkt files are BAD... I'll often look over a file, and find all sorts of errors... LL placements that are 3/4" off (as well as blocked by a fin) (and the LL's are too long), Fin thicknesses that are between 5/64" and 3/32" (when they should be 1/8")... Nosecones are a particularly difficult area (everything has a needle sharp point, not the blunted point of the real things). The image below is a screen grab from a RocketReviews .rkt file of the Estes Goblin. I split the fins, so I could change the sim from the default blue (as .rkt files appear in OpenRocket) to a color scheme that reflects the actual colors of an Estes' Goblin. Other than that, I've altered nothing.

not my goblin.png

Prime example... Go check out the Estes Goblin (K-55) file. Look at the fins dimensions, and the location of the LL's, and that nosecone... WOOF! Mind you... Since I don't have a BNC-55AO, I'm modeling mine on the PNC-55AO, and omitting the unneeded screw eye.

Below is my simulation of the Estes Goblin:

I've done what I can to make my .ork files as accurate as possible... This is why I so often call out for product dimensions. I've learned that you can't blindly trust RR's files, I just wish I could figure out a way to get paid for reproducing classic kits in OR (while getting to play with the originals in the process).

Peace!
Jim

Below is the .rkt file converted to a .ork file (with the split fins and color added), and my .ork file (using the PNC-55AO).

Attachments

• Estes Goblin K55 (using PNC-55AO).ork
    3.1 KB · Views: 32
  • oop_estes_goblin.rkt.ork
    1.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
or everything uses cardboard as a material...wonder how a cardboard nose would turn out/hold up? my quicky test says that LL location etc. is supported by the rkt file format. I for one would prefer the design files to reflect what is stock and not the finished product as the two usually are different(not to mention that mine usually differ from either).
Rex

Not just the ones on RR...there are a lot of sloppy .ork's out there. Some of the ones on the Madcow site have global mass/CG overrides so when you mod the design the CG doesn't move.

BTW I've been working on a "classic Estes" materials/parts file that will most all the components from the days when Estes sold them separately. You might have something similar, maybe we should compare notes.

BTW I've been working on a "classic Estes" materials/parts file that will most all the components from the days when Estes sold them separately. You might have something similar, maybe we should compare notes.

I wish that I could archive that kind of stuff... but I don't have the space, time, or money to do so.

BTW: I added images into the original post.

I wish that I could archive that kind of stuff... but I don't have the space, time, or money to do so.

Oops, I think I wasn't clear...I meant an OpenRocket parts file that you can drop into the right directory and make all those parts appear in the OR dropdowns. I've got probably 2/3 of it done.

Here's another prime example of why you should do more research when cloning old kits using info from rocketreviews.com.

The Estes Vigilante (1278) file's fin pattern from RR (left) vs the pattern I was able to create using a printout of the fins from JimZ's website.

Vigilante Fin Patterns.pngVigilante Fin Patterns (measured).png

Anyone want to double check my work?

You can edit/add to directories in OpenRocket? How is that accomplished?

Oops, I think I wasn't clear...I meant an OpenRocket parts file that you can drop into the right directory and make all those parts appear in the OR dropdowns. I've got probably 2/3 of it done.

On each platform (Mac/Windows/Linux) there's a canonical directory under your home directory where you can place materials files, and OR has a search order it uses to load them. There's no official documentation...I figured it out by reading the source code and cracking open the OR .jar to look at the built-in component files (called "presets" in OR). When I get my Estes Classic file ready to go I'll post instructions on using it.

Thanks Dave! This will really come in handy for many of us.

On each platform (Mac/Windows/Linux) there's a canonical directory under your home directory where you can place materials files, and OR has a search order it uses to load them. There's no official documentation...I figured it out by reading the source code and cracking open the OR .jar to look at the built-in component files (called "presets" in OR). When I get my Estes Classic file ready to go I'll post instructions on using it.

Back