ARTS 2 Flight Computer not connecting to PC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockitship

Reaction score
Sacramento CA, soon to be Huntsville Alabama
I bought new Arts 2 in 2008. I have never used it. I decided to fly it in one of my rockets. I plugged the cord into my serial port on one of my older computers. I followed the sequence of running the software, then powering on the Arts 2. No mater what I try I cannot get this thing to talk to my computer. The com port is set to (9600/8/N/1/N) per recommendations posted to this forum years ago. If I slow the communications settings down I will get a green light when I am in the diagnosis menu. But as soon as I touch any button the green light changes to red and it either says altimeter busy or altimeter not in the correct state. The red light never goes back to green without me powering down the ARTS and then back up again. But when I do that it immediately changes back to red when I try to send the channel settings to the Arts or touch any other menu item, such as chirp.

Another thing, the altimeter beeps at me continuously and from what I have read, the beeping should stop when it is communicating to the PC properly. Are there jumper settings on the ARTS that need to be addressed in order to communicate with the computer? Are my com ports settings wrong? I have checked the hardware settings on the PC and there is no other device using the com port. Then manual is very poor in this regard. I emailed Jeff at Loki and he has not responded.

If anyone can help me with this problem I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Rockitship

Jeff Taylor is no longer at Loki but perhaps Scott will forward it. You could try a USB to serial converter and try it with a different computer. I never had any trouble doing that with XP or running the setup program with WINE in Linux. Kurt

What version of the software are you using?
You need to be on either 1.61 or 1.7.

The older version only work with the ARTS 1.

The other possibility being the a driver issues(s)

JD

I have tried both windows XP on an older computer with a serial port and a newer computer with a usb to serial adapter with no success. I also went to a used computer store and they let me load the software on another computer with XP and serial ports. But same result.

Driver issue... Ok what drivers are you talking about? I can't find the original disk and manual so I downloaded software off of Loki website and manual. Did the original disk have drivers on it? I thought all I had to do is install the DataAnalyzer software and then connect the device.

If there are drivers where can I find them?

thanks
Rockitship

Thanks Tony,

I have done all of those things with no success. I can't call Ozark for obvious reasons. Question, if I can't get it to connect are there defaults that it has from the factory that I can count on for deployment? How would I ground test those defaults to make sure they are working? If this is the case at least I can fly with it but may not be able to download flight data after the flight. I could use it as a backup in that case.

Thanks again all.
Rockitship

I have used ARTS 2's for a long time. I sold them recently (nothing wrong, just didn't quite match up with my needs). I always had difficulties getting them to connect to my computer, but once connected, they didn't disconnect as you have described. In your case, I would be concerned that the problem is with the altimeter and not the communication (i.e., a driver). Perhaps you could have someone that uses the ARTS (and is normally able to connect) try to connect to your altimeter? At least you could determine if the problem was with your altimeter or your computer.

The ARTS has quite a few features that can only be accessed via the interface. Therefore, I can't recommend flying it without being able to see what's programmed. The manual doesn't specify the default values out of the box, so it is probably not a good idea to assume it is flyable as is.

Yes, there are ways to check the basic function of the altimeter. I'm pretty sure I could do it because I'm familiar with the ARTS and because I always perform functional checks of my altimeters. However, I'm pretty sure that if I owned your altimeter and did such a function test, I would still not fly it. From your post, I suspect that you don't perform such tests, and since you're not familiar with the ARTS, this is not a pathway you should pursue.

Jim

Thanks Jim. If I don't use the ARTS is there another Altimeter that is the same size with same bolt pattern that I can buy. My need is to deploy a drogue at apogee and main at 1000 ft. At this time I don't need the flight data but it would be nice. I need the altimeter within a week. from now.

Actually it doesn't need to be the same size. I can always drill some new mounting holes. I need something that is easy to work with since I have to order it short order and learn how to work with it quickly. I need something that is not going to be fussy to work with like this ARTS 2 has been.

Thanks to anyone's suggestions.

Actually it doesn't need to be the same size. I can always drill some new mounting holes. I need something that is easy to work with since I have to order it short order and learn how to work with it quickly. I need something that is not going to be fussy to work with like this ARTS 2 has been.

Thanks to anyone's suggestions.

Well, that request will start a foodfight! Here's a list.

https://data.rocketsetc.com/altimeter_data.html

Just stick with altimeters from companies that are currently in business.

Jim

Thanks Jim. If I don't use the ARTS is there another Altimeter that is the same size with same bolt pattern that I can buy. My need is to deploy a drogue at apogee and main at 1000 ft. At this time I don't need the flight data but it would be nice. I need the altimeter within a week. from now.

I use them extensively. If you like, we can connect off line and I will be happy to try it out for you. As a side note Transolve is now "repairing them" he will give it his best shot. Might get lucky. He charges $10 diagnosis plus parts. If he cannot repair it and you don't want it back, he will keep the device for parts and refund your $10.

What version is the software?
Most of the the time the disc was out of date by the time you bought it.
use version 1.61 or 1.7

JD

I have tried both windows XP on an older computer with a serial port and a newer computer with a usb to serial adapter with no success. I also went to a used computer store and they let me load the software on another computer with XP and serial ports. But same result.

Driver issue... Ok what drivers are you talking about? I can't find the original disk and manual so I downloaded software off of Loki website and manual. Did the original disk have drivers on it? I thought all I had to do is install the DataAnalyzer software and then connect the device.

If there are drivers where can I find them?

thanks
Rockitship

Back