Is This Good NC Lacquer?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make my own igniters Top......
Have for a couple of years now......
The only NC lacquer I've ever used I make from ping pong balls...
Get a box from the "Sports Authority" or wherever...
Go to home cheapo and get a gallon of acetone....
Ya definitely have to use a glass jar that seals well because the acetone evaporates so quickly...
Put some ping pong balls in the jar,, pour some acetone over them and in a half hour you have NC lacquer...
And you can make it as thin or viscous as you wish.....
That is what I make my pyrogen slurry for dippin with.......

Teddy

I have tried lots of different Liqueurs, but not sure how this applies to rocketry.

:facepalm: My bad. I mis-read the OP. :eek:

I make my own igniters Top......
Have for a couple of years now......
The only NC lacquer I've ever used I make from ping pong balls...
Get a box from the "Sports Authority" or wherever...
Go to home cheapo and get a gallon of acetone....
Ya definitely have to use a glass jar that seals well because the acetone evaporates so quickly...
Put some ping pong balls in the jar,, pour some acetone over them and in a half hour you have NC lacquer...
And you can make it as thin or viscous as you wish.....
That is what I make my pyrogen slurry for dippin with.......

Teddy
+1

Bob

I think the instrument lacquer is a workable substitute. PP balls have inhibitors in them so they don't go boom. It's the "stuff" in the igniter that allows one to start a motor. I don't believe a "little inhibitor" is going to make much difference. I've got some plain instrument NC lacquer I use to seal igniters and they work fine. Kurt

Last edited:
I've read all the threads on here about making igniters, and been to all the sites and watched a lot of videos.
I don't want to mess around with the Ping Pong Balls.
I am not trying to save money by making them, nor am I at any risk of running out of factory igniters anytime soon, as I have plenty of Sonics and Copperheads on hand. Just want to do it because I can.
I'll go ahead and get some of this stuff then. I'll check the Music Store a few towns away first before I just go ahead and order it from Amazon.

I used stuff fireworks companies sell for fuse. Firefox has a solid nc powder too. Pp balls work too.

I used stuff fireworks companies sell for fuse. Firefox has a solid nc powder too. Pp balls work too.

I used to do "Stuff" back in the 90's where it would require me to order "Things" from companies like Pyrotec. After 9-11-01, I got a Visit from BATFE and a Local Sheriff inquiring as to what I was using "Things" for. Everything was in order, and stored safely, and they left me alone, but nowadays I prefer to not order stuff from Fireworks Companies, save for the Cannon Fuse I use for my Cannon.

Been there with ping pong balls, not doing it any more.

What you are looking for in the MSDS of the product is CAS 9004-70-0. As they say, that is the "active ingredient" that you are looking for, which in this case is nitrocellulose. The problem is that the percentage range of the composition can run from 1% to 10%, which means you can't be sure of the level that you are working with. IMHO, you want it have a higher number in the percentage.

Greg

Firefox NC Lacquer is on its way.:)

ETA: I forgot to do their Release of Liability Form and fax them my ID, so there was a slight delay, but I got that done this morning and on its way.
I should have payed more attention when I placed my order. Just like the Fireworks Store, a few towns away from me, they like to have a copy of your ID for proof of Age. Understandable.
The lady I exchanged E-mail with was polite and helpful, and I will likely do business with Firefox again. They definitely have a nice selection of stuff.

Last edited:
Back