Build Threads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of build threads on here. Is this something just anyone does or is it just certain people? I only ask because I've been documenting my two current builds. They are both Estes 24mm rockets with a few mods.

I'm just wondering if I may have anything to offer through my builds. I'm a fairly accomplished modeler. I ask a lot of MPR and HPR questions. Just trying to give back a bit.

Same here we all build rockets but not everyone uses the same techniques. Go ahead and give us build threads then we can learn your style of building and maybe improve ours.

Yes, post away. And never under any circumstances take anything I post seriously. :wink:

I've seen a lot of build threads on here. Is this something just anyone does or is it just certain people? I only ask because I've been documenting my two current builds. They are both Estes 24mm rockets with a few mods.

I'm just wondering if I may have anything to offer through my builds. I'm a fairly accomplished modeler. I ask a lot of MPR and HPR questions. Just trying to give back a bit.
That's what it is all about....
I've gotten some good suggestions while in the middle of a build when posting.....so its all good.

Fire away.

I think its great to take the time to share your experience here by posting a build thread, lots of good examples of how to do them. I wish the forum had some kind of index for builds, kind of like how the Gallery section is set up, so you could find a particular manufacturer/model build easily. Maybe something to think about in the future.

Anyone can do a build thread. Many do not. It does slow things down to keep taking pictures and writing up the steps and accomplishments. But it is worth it to pay forward with suggestions, and others may offer advice that can help you.

I think its great to take the time to share your experience here by posting a build thread, lots of good examples of how to do them. I wish the forum had some kind of index for builds, kind of like how the Gallery section is set up, so you could find a particular manufacturer/model build easily. Maybe something to think about in the future.

That would be incredible. I've never met an Estes rocket I couldn't build. I would like to refine a few things I've never mastered. For instance, I've never found a good way to eliminate my balsa grain. That is without several times of priming and sanding. Adds a little weight doing such. Sanding sealer is great but never seems to eliminate it all. I'm also hoping to learn more about creating structurally sound conical transitions and tailcones. Issue there is simply a lack of builds requiring them. Though I look forward to mastering that soon.

I'll post up the two builds I'm currently working on. Luckily I just started them this weekend. Canadian Arrow and Magician. Upcoming builds will be four PSII rockets and an HPR upscaled Estes Vagabond.

I'm excited about the upscaled Vagabond. It will be my first HPR build. TTW fins. DD recovery. Light ply or G10 fins. Just gotta research the choice of FG, phenolic or blue tube for the BT. Look for stage 1 of my Canadian Arrow to load up tomorrow. And for keeping with the standard, they are "E" engine rockets, but also Estes. Should the build thread go into LPR or HPR? Or is there a location for build threads in the forums?

Last edited:
I've got a lot of work up scaling the Vagabond. Still have a lot to learn too. I've never messed with DD at all. Plus I need to calculate the upsize percentage, measure for the TTW and build a fin template for it all. Hope OpenRocket is retard friendly. I've never tried to do anything like this before.

+1 for build threads. I do them whenever I think what I'm working on maybe interesting (broadly defined). I keep in mind that when I was just starting out as a BAR, I learned a huge amount from build threads, even relatively basic ones. Pay it forward, I say!

Please do build threads when you are so inclined. I have learned, and continue to learn, a great deal from these threads. They do take time, so I usually only do one for scratch build rockets or a kit that hasn't had a thoroughly documented build thread before.

Also, don't get discouraged if there aren't a lot of posts by others along the way. Many people, including myself, tend to follow along quietly.

Build Threads rock! I love to see the insides of all the different Kits and see how folks design their Scratchbuilds.
I take Pics' of everything I build anyway, regardless of whether or not I'm going to do a Build Thread. I like to have a record of all steps of the construction process to review when necessary or just for reference. Helps me to quantify how I'm progressing as a modeler.:)
I have no plans to stop building Rockets ever, and I imagine that in a few years I will have become quite accomplished at it. It will be fun to look back and see where I started out.

Last edited:
By all means post away!! I'm kind of forced into build threads as I'm a teen doing builds that requires L2 and L3 certifications so mentors need to see what I'm doing. Anyone can do build threads and like what everybody said above its great to see what other people are doing.

The Canadian Arrow build is up in the MPR threads. Any feedback on how I could improve them is a plus.

I got started by accident, asking some questions then sharing pictures of what I was talking about. Before I knew it I was sharing whole builds intentionally.

Mine are less of a full step by step or handbook, and more about the general process along with modifications I make. I put them up mostly for myself but hope others find some value there from time to time.

Back