Anyone Built Estes #3232 Centuri Kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now I'm just frustrated that I have forgotten how to use Openrocket.
I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to make a tube inside another tube as a motor mount. I can select that the tube is a MMT, but then it just adds it to the tail of my lower body tube, rather than asking me where inside that tube it should be.
It also would not let me make a custom transition the way it used to:facepalm:
Off to read the OR Threads again for a refresher.:(
K', I had no problem remembering how to get one of your NC Files to get the PNC50-Y.

Actually, I'll see if I can find an already created ORK. File and just tweek it to match my Model if I can.

Last edited:
Right now I'm just frustrated that I have forgotten how to use Openrocket.
I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to make a tube inside another tube as a m
Dontotor mount. I can select that the tube is a MMT, but then it just adds it to the tail of my lower body tube, rather than asking me where inside that tube it should be.
It also would not let me make a custom transition the way it used to:facepalm:
Off to read the OR Threads again for a refresher.:(
K', I had no problem remembering how to get one of your NC Files to get the PNC50-Y.

Actually, I'll see if I can find an already created ORK. File and just tweek it to match my Model if I can.

Don't forget to look at the drop down menus... Position Relative to: will be a big help.

You might try downloading one of my motor mounts... Then change the phantom body tube (that is at the top of the list) to the length you want your body tube to be... Add a nosecone, recovery hardware, LLs, fins, and you're done.

I had'nt selected the Body Tube, I simply was adding a new one to the already there ones. It all came back to me!

View attachment 257605

I just need to tweak the Weight, as OR thinks my rocket is heavier than it really is.

Centuri Weight and ORK 001.jpg

STUPID ATTACHMENT!!! I even went "Advanced" and this post still looks screwed up!

Attachments

• Centuri Weight and ORK 006.jpg
    Centuri Weight and ORK 006.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Got some bondo putty on there this morning and sanded smooth. I also got a second coat of primer on and now it is hanging up out in the shed where it will stay til' tomorrow.

Centuri Primer 001.jpg

Decided that since it is nearly 50 degrees out, it is better off hanging on the porch railing in the sun and breeze than it was in the shed.

Centuri Primer 004.jpg

It also looks like you applied fiberglass cloth to the model. Now I see why it weights so much.

John Boren

It also looks like you applied fiberglass cloth to the model. Now I see why it weights so much.

John Boren

I did. I glass everything.
I'll weigh it when it's done and adjust my Sim accordingly, but even the Package says 3.1oz. My Sim is at 3.5

Last edited:
As it stands right now, before paint, decals and recovery gear:

Centuri Weights 004.jpgCenturi Weights 006.jpgCenturi Weights 007.jpg

I'm on track to match up with my Sim so far, but am still deciding what I want to do exactly for recovery.

I have'nt joined the sections or made the necessary mods to the Transition yet, so that will change things too.

Last edited:
The nose cone is going to get drilled and tapped at the shoulder for miniature screws so that it will be removable if I need to add nose weight for longer/heavier motors like the F32.
I also may want to fly an Altimeter if I ever get around to buying one.

I'de forgotten about this one, but just got it down and made room on the bench to get it finished up.
I think I'll get the Micro-buttons on there today and some recovery stuffs so I can at least fly it in Primer til' I can get some more white spray paint.

Alright. Got the little standoffs/reinforcements epoxied on, shock cord installed and made the attachment point for the transition.
I should have this thing flyable sans paint and decals by tomorrow.:)
The standoffs were not entirely necessary, but they will allow for greater purchase of the threads for the button screws without having to screw in the upper one deep enough to interfere with the recovery gear. I'm replacing the nylon screws that come with micro-buttons with steel one that are identical.
The standoffs/reinforcements are made from pieces of a flat wooden coffee stirrer.
I used a piece of BT-55 coupler to make the attachment points for the shock cord. On the transition I put in a piece of heavier kevlar about a foot long. When the Epoxy dries I'll sew it into a loop and finish the join with a piece of heat shrink tubing.

You can't really see the seam on the body tube where the FG cloth for about 0.3 inches, but I located the mounts directly atop of it.

Kit 3232 ESTES CENTURI 2015-04-19 002.jpgKit 3232 ESTES CENTURI 2015-04-19 001.jpg

Last edited:
Made and installed a streamer today, then stuffed some recovery wadding in there so she's ready to go when the weather is cooperative.
She'll weigh more after paint and decals, but not much.

Streamer for Centuri 3232 2015-04-20 003.jpgStreamer for Centuri 3232 2015-04-20 002.jpgStreamer for Centuri 3232 2015-04-20 001.jpgCenturi 3232 Weight Without Motors 2015-04-20 001.jpg

I need to make my CG line up with the sim so I might need to add 7g. of nosewight to stay in my comfort zone stability wise.

Revised my Sim to line it up with reality as far as the CG goes, then added mass to the tip of the nose cone starting with 7 grams and going up in increments of 2g. til' I got the requisite stability for motors up to the single use F32-8.
12g. total added to the Sim. I'll add that much to my model before launching it.
Here's my revised Sim:

Hmmm, say the file size is too large???

Ohwell, anyway, 12g. of nose weight and she'll be safe to fly.:)
The nose cone is only held on with 2 tiny nylon screws, so it will be simple to add it.

Last edited:
Got the weight added today, but it's raining so there won't be a launch today.:(

She flies beautifully!!!!:):):):)
First on a C11-3, and then on a D12-5.
Both flights landed within 70 feet of the pad thanks to a steady 3-5mph breeze that made it easy to account for.

Centuri Launches 2015-04-21 001.jpg

Centuri Launches 2015-04-21 011.jpg

Centuri Launches 2015-04-21 014.jpgCenturi Launches 2015-04-21 007.jpgCenturi Launches 2015-04-21 003.jpg
Centuri Launches 2015-04-21 018.jpg

Last edited:
What a great rocket!
I think the actual flights lined up pretty well with the Sim figures.
The D12-5 really threw it way up there, but thanks to the tracking smoke it was barely visible throughout the flight, and it was easy to see with its bright orange streamer. It did take its sweet time getting down on the second flight.
I jumped the gun on the attempt at getting the liftoff shots, but that's ok. It'll look better when I get the paint and decals on there.

Centuri Launches 2015-04-21 011.JPG

Last edited:
Just ordered the Estes Centuri and Savage today. The Centuri looks like a good candidate for conversion to a 24 mm. engine mount.

Rocketron

I started on the rear fins today but there was only a few sprays worth of black paint left so I need to go get a new can to finish them.

The Decals on this Kit were a PITA. A few of the ones for the four fins on the sustainer had "Dry Spots" and required extra long soaking, as did the bigger of the two wraps.
The decals that are supposed to go on the booster fins require you to first paint white backround ovals on each fin, and I did'nt want to go through all that extra work so I just put the "Estes" decals on the bt of the booster between the fins.
Well, overall a great kit, and I'm pleased with how she flies and looks. I'll do a satin clear coat tomorrow then we'll get her back up in the air as soon as possible. She'll look good in a liftoof pic' now compared to when she was all grey primer.:)

Evil Decals 2015-05-06 002.jpg

More Evil Decs 2015-05-06 003.jpgMore Evil Decs 2015-05-06 002.jpgMore Evil Decs 2015-05-06 001.jpg

Rocketarium Retainer Centuri 2015-05-06 002.jpg

Last edited:
Back