Dynasoar Rocketry RC Rocket glider kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob Parks asked me to do a kit of the X-2 for him and I figured out a way to do it and get it into a box...This one is a bit more $$ because it takes me 2 hours to cut and fit the full flying tail and associated pieces, and it takes twice as much foam and carbon, but it makes a nice flying model. I figured out a way to move the rail buttons to the bottom and get rid of the large styrene tail support I used on my prototype.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2015031#post26344459

Here's a flight video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqfFFY7nMHI

Frank

WP_000661.jpg

Last edited:
I built up the airframe of the SR-71 over the weekend. Honestly, it was dead simple and it looks fantastic. My wife and son were impressed that the pile of foam turned into a plane in about one hour. The worst part was using the 77 spray and the lingering smell of the CA accelerator once I was done.

If you have any interest in putting together a RCBG this is a fantastic way to do it - Frank includes everything you would need other than the electronics and it goes together quite simply. The electronics you need to install are very inexpensive from a place like hobbyking.com - you can pick up a RX, 2 servos and a BEC for ~$20.

For my final kit offering I have the templates created, and first kit done of the InteR/Ceptor, very simple and light weight. More info on the kits in the link in the first posting. Build thread and instructions are below. 42" long, 18" wingspan, 10oz rtf, has that classic long range sci-fi interceptor look, but RC.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2008880#post26259262

WP_001236.jpg

Last edited:
I worked with mark at Stickershock 23(https://www.stickershock23.com/) He can do a machine cut self adhesive 3 color vinyl marking set for the InteR/Ceptor (stars bars, tail art, usaf etc) for $18, I have a few sets available. Here are some pictures with the decals in place.

InteR-CeptorSmallDecals.jpg

WP_20150428_001.jpg

WP_20150428_003.jpg

WP_20150428_002.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered an InteR/Ceptor from Frank the other day and I have to say I could not be more pleased with the quality of his kit. Franks attention to detail is outstanding.

I dry assembled it last night and hope to build it out over the weekend.

Big pluses:

The full flying horizontal tails are already assembled to the aft fuse on the pivot assemblies with control horns already in place!

Franks technique of taping mating parts together and folding them for shipment where they will be glued is genius. You simply unfold and glue and then add tape over the other side of the joint.

The parts fit is perfect which is exceptional for a hand cut kit!

The Sticker Shock markings are awesome and bring the model to life.

I am planning on taking the completed InteR/Ceptor to a model airplane event in Little Rock AR June 3-6 that is very rocket friendly (both RC rocket gliders and normal rockets to mid power.) it will fly both in electric mode and in Rocket glider mode.

Thanks for doing these kits, Frank!

Tom, glad to hear you are pleased, looking forward to a flight report.

Frank

I ordered an InteR/Ceptor from Frank the other day and I have to say I could not be more pleased with the quality of his kit. Franks attention to detail is outstanding.

I dry assembled it last night and hope to build it out over the weekend.

Big pluses:

The full flying horizontal tails are already assembled to the aft fuse on the pivot assemblies with control horns already in place!

Franks technique of taping mating parts together and folding them for shipment where they will be glued is genius. You simply unfold and glue and then add tape over the other side of the joint.

The parts fit is perfect which is exceptional for a hand cut kit!

The Sticker Shock markings are awesome and bring the model to life.

I am planning on taking the completed InteR/Ceptor to a model airplane event in Little Rock AR June 3-6 that is very rocket friendly (both RC rocket gliders and normal rockets to mid power.) it will fly both in electric mode and in Rocket glider mode.

Thanks for doing these kits, Frank!

So as a guy with a couple of years experience in rocketry which has resulted in 30+ rockets (a bunch of which are scratch built), level 1 and 2 certs and no RC experience but who has a serious SR-71 fetish and wants to end up flying your model as a BG (and probably as an RC) where would you recommend I start?

Zeb

Zeb, you really need to get some flying experience. Simulators are good to work on orientation, but actual flying is needed. A friend of mine is teaching himself to fly, he is using an eflite umx radian, a small electric motor glider and is having a lot of fun. It is very light so you are limited to calm days, larger planes can handle some wind. Once you are comfortable with orientation then you can consider a rocket glider. The first flight will need some minor trim for boost and glide and it is better if you can get someone with experience to do the first flight or two to get it trimmed, then potentially use a buddy box(they have a switch that allows them to take over if you get confused) for your first flights. It's not that they are hard to fly, but the SR-71 being black and having a quick roll rate, it is easy to get confused as to orientation. As for rocket gliders, these are as easy or easier to boost and fly as anything else I've seen. The edmonds arcie has a more hands off boost, but only has roll control so you are just turning, so while being more foolproof, it isn't teaching you anything that the radian can't, other than saying you flew a boost glider.

If you have an rc club nearby it's nice to check it out, talk to people there and see what they are flying for newbies, sometimes its convenient to pick something that others are using so that you can compare notes or talk about any issues you are having with people that have the same plane. It's also a good way to make some contacts for buddy box help as well.

Frank

I will echo what Frank says above.

Find a local RC club and they will be MORE than happy to help you out. You will likely find that RC people are as friendly as rocket people. I will echo getting a glider to start - I purchased a Flyzone Calypso and it has been a fantastic introduction to flying. It was fairly easy to learn on (although I'm still learning) and it is very forgiving if you make a mistake. For the one I linked to you will just need a transmitter and receiver. Likely if you find someone willing to help you out they'll make a recommendation on TX/RX brands that will make it easier for you. Unfortunately, the transmitter and receiver brands are NOT interoperable so it is to your advantage to pick a brand that the people you are with are familiar with while you're learning.

Also....checkout rcgroups.com if you want a forum-based approach for opinions. I know that Frank is there as well and there is a very large section for Beginner Training with electric flight.

Good luck!

Got a couple of flights on the InteR/Ceptor today in Little Rock on E6 motors.

Great fun!!!! Pictures and video coming soon.

I enjoyed building and flying the Depron InteR/Ceptor so much that I am seriously thinking about knocking out a Burke style XB-70 to the same approximate size this week to fly this weekend......:)

Shipped my 20th kit today, sort of a personal milestone, thought if I could sell at least 20, it would have been worth the effort.
Thanks to those that gave them a try.

Frank

Shipped my 20th kit today, sort of a personal milestone, thought if I could sell at least 20, it would have been worth the effort.
Thanks to those that gave them a try.

Frank

Congratulations!

I plan on getting at least one or two of your kits in the fairly near future, do don't stop offering them yet!

No plan to stop yet, I've got an X-15 ready to go and enough depron for two more kits....at that point I'll have to decide whether to invest in enough for 20 kits worth of foam to keep my price as it is.

Frank

Congratulations!

I plan on getting at least one or two of your kits in the fairly near future, do don't stop offering them yet!

Last edited:
No plan to stop yet, I've got an X-15 ready to go and enough depron for two more kits....at that point I'll have to decide whether to invest in enough for 20 kits worth of foam to keep my price as it is.

Frank

I will keep that in mind!

I am starting a thread on a Frank Burke style Depron B-70 RC RG, loosely based on the neat old Competition Models balsa bro file glow free flight model, slightly scaled up. Goal is to complete it in three evenings and fly it at the next DARS event.

I think I need to get that X-15 kit you have in stock....:)

I sold a couple of kits here on TRF and a couple of kits on RC Groups and I have paypal money sitting around doing nothing.

How much is the shipping and the X-15 kit to 76123?

Frank and Jason - thanks very much for the advice and recommendations - I added the E-Flite UMX Radian to my wish list and I'll check out the local clubs for some support there too :)

Received the X-15 today. The post office really did a number on the box, but thanks to Franks excellent packing, all that happened was a couple of very minor dents in the depron and a slightly flattened motor tube.

All fixed now with a couple of dabs of spackle and the model is fully framed up and ready for radio gear and paint after an evening of Foam Cure glue and marginally entertaining television.....:)

Not as much progress on the X-15 last night as expected, but I did borrow a vinyl cutter and got the ghost white version of the Stars and bars, USAF and US AIR FORCE in the Amarillo font, the tail number and the "X-15" logo on the nose cut out in white scaled to fit Franks X-15. I will add the little red bar to the ghost star and bar by hand.

I will either draw up the yellow NASA tail band in AI, or simply hand cut it.

Got the black paint so will paint it tonight.

Tomorrow's launch is postponed, so the rush is off. Might try it as an electric pusher this weekend.

As soon as this one is done, the Boeing 2707-200 SST will get lots of attention...;)

The X-15 is built and painted and about half the white vinyl markings have been applied. Scaled a couple of the too large and are recutting those.

It just might fly as an electric pusher tomorrow.......

The X-15 is done except for a bit of the radio installation.

Painted the white Depron with black Acrylic latex and added the vinyl. The NASA tail stripe is hand cut since I am slow at AI and can hand cut faster than I can draw on the screen...;). The rest is CNC vinyl. The silver panel lines are from a silver paint pen. Still could use a few more panel lines, but I am done for tonight.

Still might fly it as an electric pusher tomorrow, or figure out a place for a launch. My normal RC field is two feet underwater due to the excess rain around here.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got to maiden the X-15 at the Hearne, Tx launch yesterday.

Great under boost and a surprising nice glide. Love the way it looks in the air! Pyrobob did get a video of the X-15 flight that I will be posting as soon as he processes it.

This was a Tripoli Houston launch more oriented to high power and RC rocket gliders appeared to be a new experience for them.

Also had a great XB-70 flight and a good InteR/Ceptor flight. The XF-108 did not have a happy first flight....:) At about 100-150 feet up it had an interesting brief flutter event that involved the airframe more than the control surfaces and broke in half at about the 1/3 mark of the wing root cord. Going to repair it and add a bit more structure. More details to follow over in the XF -108 thread.

Last edited:
Frank dropped by the BEMRC launch yesterday and put up one flight each on the InteR/Ceptor, the SR-71 and the F-106. Serious coolness!

This could be a way back to RC for me since I've been all rocket crazy for the last 5 1/2 years and haven't built an airplane in that time (and flown airplanes only a little). Uh oh.....

Last edited:
Pyrobob captured an Iphone video of the maiden flight of the X-15 and uploaded it.

[video=youtube;fpt6Ck49zDk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpt6Ck49zDk[/video]

Back