Dynasoar Rocketry RC Rocket glider kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out today to do a little experiment at a non NAR location. I had some aerotech reloads for D-6's and some E-7's which are not full E-6 reloads. I had gotten a steal on them since they had been sitting at the dealer for a long time. What I did was take the D-6 propellent and insert it with the non slotted end into the liner with the E-7 propellent, and then trim off the slotted portion that stuck out of the liner wth an exacto. So I made effectively an E-6 but with two butted grains. I figured that there shouldn't be a problem, it will just be a butt joined end burner. They worked fine, I did notice a slight temporary increase in noise/thrust as it got to the new slug, but it isn't anything that would be more pressure than the initial slotted end would have. So while I can't recommend this since it isn't an approved motor, I was at my own place and it was an interesting test.

I had four flights today in about 15-20mph wind with my Delta Dart F-106. All I have to say, is man this flies great in gusty wind, handled it with no problems, was able to do some rolls while hovering into the headwind. Landings were very predictable. A lot of fun.

Frank

Flew the InteR/Ceptor and X-15 at the DARS launch yesterday. Flights number 5 and number 2 respectively.

Also put the second flight on the XB-70.

Such great fun it makes want to get back on the Boeing SST model and creates more thoughts on other interesting profile subjects.

Current possibilites are an Avro Vulcan, Republic F-105, Vought F7U Cutlass.......

That's great Tom, apparently you impressed one guy enough to ping me regarding an order. I'd love to see video of your a4b and Valkyrie.

Frank

Yep, there was a guy there that was extremely interested in your kits.
He had the only other RC rocket glider there, an Estes Centurian.

It managed to find something hard out in the grass when it landed and broke the old blow molded ABS fuse rather badly, as often happens to Centurians.......

Well i guess its time to put my $0.02 in on these..

I have the SR71..

I flew it a BUNCH of times as a powered airplane... and what a BLAST.. easy to build looks great flies AWESOME..

THe roll rate is a little touchy so when you build use dual rates especially on the ailerons.. start on low rates then work up! it rolls like CRAZY

its stable and easy to fly! I put about 3/16" up elevator into mine for the first flight.. and it was TOO MUCH. I had to trim all the way down.. I also had to put a lot of left aileron trim into it.. and I am SURE that is because my ESC is on the one side..

Well last weekend I finally got to boost glide it..

Now since the ESC was no longer in it I took the aileron trim out of it ( I figured I could add it if needed) and set the elevators flush wit hthe body for boost and at the flip of a switch about 1/8" up elevator..

hit the button.. and WOW it boosts nice. I did have to put a little aileron in it to keep it from rolling. but not much at all.

then when the motor burned out. I flipped it into glide mode... a few clicks of trim and shes glidning like a dream..

Not sure how long I got out of it but it was plenty of time to have fun..

It did seem a little tail heavy for the glide so second flight I added a touch of nose weight..

second flight went perfect! man it seemed to glide forever..

Frank these things are just way to much fun man...

Now I only wish I had one big enough to put a longburn "G" into! LOL

thanks frank!

Thanks Mark. When you fly it as a pusher, you'll need roll trim due to the torque of the motor and the small wingspan. That's not neeed for rocket boost as you surmized, if there is any roll trim due to airframe twist or battery placement on rocket glide it's normally just a few clicks as you found out. It's a pretty forgiving model, you could have ust reduced the up trim setting for glide when it seemed like it was tail heavy and gotten the same result as adding nose weight, normally if it's really tail heavy it will be pitchy on boost.

The X-15 kit arrived a few days ago and it goes together fast. The parts are already cut and fit together very well. It is amazing how straight the cuts are in the foam.

IMG_3405.jpg

IMG_3407.jpg

Thanks Bob, I'm sure you will like how it flies.

I've now broken down and created a web site, with paypal buttons, feedback, links, free plans and some of my background, a few videos and pictures to keep you busy for a while.

www.dynasoarrocketry.com

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, I appreciate that. BTW, this morning I did a test at my non NAR/AMA site with my X-15 using D-12, E-9 and E-12 estes motors. For the motors I did need to put a small amount of epoxy in the front to prevent the ejection charge from ejecting the motor and melting the foam. *This is not a manufacturer approved change and is not allowed by NAR rules but is an option if you are launching in your own field.

I did not rebalance the model, it was balanced for the 52 gram E-6 motor, the E-12 weighs 59 grams with the epoxy and sticks out of the back of the model 3/4". Boost on the D-12 was nice and straight to about 250'. The E-9 and E-12 was to around 400+' and dead straight with no control input. My model is trimmed so that may help. Glide was spot on as the empty motor casing is about the same as the 24mm aerotech casing empty.

Quote Originally Posted by KenECoyote View Post
I got my X-15 and SR-71 kits and damn, they're nice looking kits!

Frank's assembly work and cutting on them are top rate and I can't believe he doesn't charge more for them considering the obvious work put into them. Additionally, I was an Ebay collectibles Powerseller years ago and took pride that I've never seen anyone package shipments better than me (I used to double box and make custom cushioning and support devices); however I'll have to say I'm very impressed with the packing work done...using tape to suspend the items is very smart and this ranks among the best packing I've seen. Kudos Frank!

So if any of you are on the fence about Frank's kits, I'll open the fence door for you, tell you to get off that fence and say it's a no-brainer that the kit is a great value, fantastic design and has incredible workmanship.

Thanks Frank!

Last edited:
I was surprised that I could paint the X-15 a few days ago with the cold weather. I used Model Master Flat Black No.1949. Mark from Sticker-Shock sent me some decals that look very good. Overall, this is nice kit. I like not cutting out the paper pattern, piecing it together, tracing on Depron, and then cutting. On the kit I got the elevons were already installed on axles ready to go.

IMG_3452.jpg IMG_3453.jpg IMG_3457.jpg
IMG_3459.jpg IMG_3461.jpg IMG_3462.jpg IMG_3466.jpg

I worked with Mark at Stickershock and we now have vinyl decals available for all four kits and they look really nice. Also I talked to Mike a bay area rocketry, if you mention Frank and the rc rocket glider kits, he will make a deal on the 24/40 RC casing(it will be $58.99) which is a great deal.

Thanks for the heads up on the great deal on the RMS-RC casing. I need at least one more.

Even though I already have a couple of Depron projects underway, I am going to jump over them and start a new profile model. One is the full body German DFS rocket glider and one is the Boeing 2707 SST. Both need some additional detail design to proceed.

Fun to be able to knock out a new one in a night or two when the mood strikes.

After mulling over some ideas, I have decided to do a Douglas F4D Skyray. Had thought about a Vought F7U Cutlass, but for now now the Skyray wins out.

By the way: Frank, have you ever done a Douglas D-558-2?

Looks like it would do well as a full planform model, since the wing is pretty much in the center of the fuse.

Tom I haven't done a skyrocket, decided on the x-2 instead at the time, btw I did do a cutlass, flew very nice as a pusher, tried it on rocket once but at 8 oz it was too light for the e motors and had some wing flex under boost.

Tom I haven't done a skyrocket, decided on the x-2 instead at the time, btw I did do a cutlass, flew very nice as a pusher, tried it on rocket once but at 8 oz it was too light for the e motors and had some wing flex under boost.

I have lots of Depron and carbon at the moment and a little free time over the long holiday weekend. I may have to knock out both a Skyray and a Skyrocket......

Currently planning on going to MO for NARAM 58 for the Sport Launch weekend this coming summer. I will bring a small fleet and promote the Depron RCRG concept to this part of the country...:)

image.jpg

Have decided to hold up a bit on the Skyray, and do the Douglas D-558-2 Skyrocket and the Douglas design submission for the X-15 program, sometimes called the D-558-3, even though it was officially the Douglas 671 or 684.

Looks like it would fly about like an X-15 and no need to paint it black if I use this particular rendering as the color scheme of choice....:)

In the interest of simplicity, I will raise the wing location a fraction and lower the horizontal tail a touch so both are in line with the fuselage planform.

Separate thread coming soon.

Last edited:
I got the prototype decals from stickershock for both the F-106 and Spyplane, I think they look pretty good. I have the X-15 decals but I got a kit order so I have to send them out and can't apply them to my model yet.

Frank

WP_20151128_010.jpg

WP_20151129_001.jpg

WP_20151129_002.jpg

WP_20151129_003.jpg

I got a kit order today and decided to video how I make the kit, and run it in time lapse, so you can see what goes into it.

[video=youtube;DuPbrX7hsjQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuPbrX7hsjQ[/video]

Quote Originally Posted by KenECoyote View Post
Frank's assembly work and cutting on them are top rate and I can't believe he doesn't charge more for them considering the obvious work put into them.

Watching that video confirms what I had mentioned earlier...fantastic job and really top notch workmanship Frank! I would've thought they were laser cut! Thanks again! :)

Here is a video showing how to assemble the X-plane kit including radio installation, the video takes about 45 minutes, but shows how simple it is.

[video=youtube;dcRmu8rVIO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcRmu8rVIO4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Sold my 50th kit today, a personal milestone since I started in March, thanks all for the interest, I'm glad I gave this a shot and that my effort was justified by enough interest to make it worth while.

Frank

Back