Dynasoar Rocketry RC Rocket glider kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ordered tubes and nose cones for six, we'll see how they sell. I've got the instructions online now for viewing along with photos for those interested, BMS is on vacation till the 7th so I won't have the tubes in hand to finish any kits till mid april, so won't put the paypal button on till I can actually ship something.

I'm calling it the Ikarus....here is the instruction link..

https://www.dynasoarrocketry.com/ikarus-kit-instructions.html

I was looking into whether or not to do a kit of this, RC, price is going to come in around $62 shipped priority, Weight is around 11 oz, really nice glide/boost behavior, wingspan 24", length 41" 2.6" diameter(bt-80) ....For those of you that believe a rocket has to have a tube involved:) Any interest? Would include flange nuts, rail buttons, all parts. This is pretty quick to assemble.

View attachment 286886View attachment 286887

[video=youtube;v2VHf4q7_0M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2VHf4q7_0M[/video]

That's the one I would get

Looks like it flies great, and the L/D looks good with that amount of wing.

So if one was to search ebay for a transmitter for this, and only this. What would be the transmitter that would have the lowest cost? I dont know if I would like this or not so I am leery of high investment in this.

The kits are super cool and I have always looked for a sweet v so this might be a better option. DX6's are not inexpensive though

If you go to my site https://www.dynasoarrocketry.com/instructions.html to the instruction page, I have links to what I recommend, you need a transmitter with delta mixing at a minimum, and having the ability to put in the glide trim via a flap or other switch is a definite plus, most 4 channel radios do not have either of these and they are the low end. the dx6i is a very nice setup for $129 and I think if you later decided to sell you would not lose that much compared to trying to sell a low end or off brand radio. Spektrum also sells a dxe radio which does have the features and is $89 with a receiver, it is programmed via a pc or phone app so it is a bit more clunky to adjust on the fly and only has one model in internal memory. Most other radio manufacturers are above $129 for any of their low end 6ch radios.

There are some other brands from china, orange for example, I talked to Aerostadt about getting one and he tried it but we could never get the flap trim to work, so I can't recommend it.

In the end the radio cost is around what a high end or two good quality altimeters cost.

Others may chime in with their preferences, I haven't used other brands so won't comment.

Hope that helps.

I just got an email from my local hobby shop that was having a 10% rebate on all spektrum air radios this month. 8th through the 17th.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/storef...ver-2016?clickpath=Specials_rotator4_04082016

So if one was to search ebay for a transmitter for this, and only this. What would be the transmitter that would have the lowest cost? I dont know if I would like this or not so I am leery of high investment in this.

The kits are super cool and I have always looked for a sweet v so this might be a better option. DX6's are not inexpensive though

I saw a few DXe's and that was where I was thinking of going. I dont have an issue with the single one in memory, it would be similar to an altimeter in that way.

I think if you got a dxe that's a good choice, especially with the 610 receiver, that's a good one, full range. I did look at the interface with a guy at the local hobby shop when these came out and I know it will do the mixing, we were pretty sure the elevator trim can be programmed to the flap switch as well but we did not acutally do this to confirm it. Even though it only holds one model, you can save your settings on your phone or laptop for other models and dump them into the tx if you want to swap to another model later, I just think it's a bit more clunky trying to do it at the field...I'm also not sure if you have to rebind your tx/rx when you switch receivers you are talking to. I think in the future more radios will probably go this route, get rid of hardware/display you don't need and just put it on your laptop/tablet or phone that you probably have at the field anyway...

Frank

I saw a few DXe's and that was where I was thinking of going. I dont have an issue with the single one in memory, it would be similar to an altimeter in that way.

I'm getting really close to 100 kits sold, when I reach that point I'm going to draw a random name from all of my customers to that point and give a kit of their choice to them as a way of saying thank you for making my first year worth the effort! There are about 50 unique customers so far so your chances are one in 50:)

Frank

I'm getting really close to 100 kits sold, when I reach that point I'm going to draw a random name from all of my customers to that point and give a kit of their choice to them as a way of saying thank you for making my first year worth the effort! There are about 50 unique customers so far so your chances are one in 50:)

Frank

Please Pick Me! :grin:

I had some scrap foam so I built another Ikarus but modified the tail and wingtips to make it look like one of the proposed X-15-3 delta versions, I'll paint it black and do silver sharpie panel lines and do the X-15 markings to finish it off, so I could do this as an option for the Ikarus kit, I used an identical radio setup and it flew excellently..

X15KitCard.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20160426_14_02_37_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160426_14_02_37_Pro.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 65
  • WP_20160426_14_02_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160426_14_02_47_Pro.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Frank

Sweet! 100 kits sold in a year is a solid accomplishment, Congrats!

Here are the photos of the Ikarus in X-15-3 delta configuration with the rest of the stickershock decals in place.

WP_20160502_16_52_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20160502_16_53_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20160502_16_53_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20160502_16_53_28_Pro.jpg

Here are two flights of the Ikarus from today in X-15-3 Delta configuration, flies really nicely even in a 8-10 mph headwind.

[video=youtube;UhDwGImtPWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhDwGImtPWA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Here are some great shots by our club president Gary Goncher, the IntR/Ceptor flying in the sagebrush, I had to land into the wind right along the spectator line since that was the only clear spot, in three cases it meant a perfect landing right in front of us, in one case a sudden gust of wind at the last minute weathervaned it and it went right between two trailers with no damage. These were flights in about 11-12 mph of gusty winds.

Spring_Thunder_2016-36.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-12.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-45.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-47.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-48.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-39.jpgSpring_Thunder_2016-40.jpg

Frank

A great milestone and a very generous guesture on your part!

Congrats!

(Fingers crossed....;).)

Sold my 100th today, used a random number generator to pick a number for me based on my previous buyers and Jsargevt was the winner! Let me know what kit you would like.

Frank

Sold my 100th today, used a random number generator to pick a number for me based on my previous buyers and Jsargevt was the winner! Let me know what kit you would like.

Frank
Hey what great news! I never win anything! I just passed you a PM with my request.

CONGRATS on hitting 100 kits. Shows that you are on the right track offering something that people want. Here is to the next 100!

I just talked to mike from BAR today, apparently you have created a demand that Aerotech was not prepared for, that is pretty cool.

Had to go on a waiting list for his case special.

Hey what great news! I never win anything! I just passed you a PM with my request.

CONGRATS on hitting 100 kits. Shows that you are on the right track offering something that people want. Here is to the next 100!

That is awesome. Congrats to Frank for producing 100 kits, and Jason on the free kit!

Thanks very much, Jason your kit shipped out today. On another note, the Mach 2 had a slight price increase, semroc tubing prices went up $2 and shipping cost also went up from fedex apparently.

Thank you, I think it is my current favorite, nice boost and very nice glide, no orders for one yet, people are starting to order the white version though which flies the same. I think I could do cranked down wing tips, and tweak the tail slightly and it would look like an F-108 rapier...

Frank

I have to say I am liking the Ikarus done in the style of the X-15-3. Very nice!

Randy, from what I read, it should do the elevator trim on a flap switch, but this radio is not compatible with the newer receivers that spektrum makes, so if you have a light/small receiver that comes with it, and you are happy with that one, then it probably will work.

Frank

Frank,

Would a DX6 Park Flier system work?

Back