Dynasoar Rocketry RC Rocket glider kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are two videos I made showing how to apply stickershock markings to one of the rocket gliders....

Part 2 [video=youtube;3scmrm_sg90]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3scmrm_sg90&t=472s[/video]

Part 2 [video=youtube;6hAVBjgj6CA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hAVBjgj6CA[/video]

My son and daughter got some great video of my flights today, here is one of the Orbital Shuttle

[video=youtube;9_j-lLVowaw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_j-lLVowaw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Hi all, hope you had a nice new years. Quick question, I have a laser cutter who can cut the Klingon battlecruiser parts for me to make kits, however the cost and commit is 6 kits up front, I was wondering if any of you seriously wanted a kit of that model so I can get an idea if it is worth pursuing instructions/kitting and parts. Cost for the kit should be close to my other kits around $65 including priority shipping.

Thank again.

Frank

IMG_20171213_162152099.jpg

Last edited:
I got a very nice note from Al Clark, since my kit was oop due to the availability of Depron, I made him some templates to use with his own stash of depron foam.

Folks,

I've always been a fan of the X-15, the fastest and highest flying manned
aircraft ever. It still holds world records to this day. I built this
profile RC rocket glider version from Frank Burke's templates. It is 42"
long and has a 20" wingspan. Weighs 10.5 ozs with a loaded motor. In 1994,
when he was visiting Marshall Space Flight Center, Scott Crossfield signed a
photo for me, of him with the X-15, and I have included that in the first
photo of my model. Scott was the first test pilot of the X-15, flying one
gliding flight and 13 powered flights - a brave man for sure! I'm looking
forward to good weather to test fly my model.

X-15 RG_01.JPG

X-15 RG_02.JPG

X-15 RG_03.JPG

X-15 RG_04.JPG

X-15 RG_05.JPG

X-15 RG_06.JPG

Here is a prototype I'm working on, hoping it will work out well enough to kit it. It is based on the profile version I used to kit, but using tubes for the ramjets and fuse which are a bit stiffer to help reinforce the foam. This is about 15% larger than the hobbylab kit but still 13.5-14 oz rtf for 24mm motors. I had three very stable nice test boost/glides today. Working with a local modeler here to do a 3d printed nose with canopy instead of the balsa cone and 3d printed ramjet intake cones. Even with the lightest tubes it still is about 2 oz heavier than my profile version but still lands very softly and glide is fairly slow compared to the hobbylab version. The top plate is required to stiffen the wing which must have a joint to fit into the shipping box on the neck area. Length 39" and 21.5" wingspan. It boosted nice and straight really hands off, nice crisp rolls if desired.
Frank

IMG_20180304_152320234.jpg

IMG_20180304_152308594.jpg

Last edited:
Got the 3-d printed top/bottom cone and inlet spikes, the guy did a great job, they hang down over the leading edge of the wing and have a nice rounded look and have flow through holes in them, the bottom cone has a reinforced screw hole for accessing the battery and the top was as good as he could do trying to blend in the round body tube into the flat strakes, I think he did great. They have the normal texture of 3-d printed parts, a light sanding and wash with acetone helps, the flat black paint I think looks good on them even with the texture, the foam has some texture as does the sanded edges so it will never be a smooth shiny thing...

IMG_20180307_164032658.jpg

IMG_20180307_163841314.jpg

IMG_20180307_163743011.jpg

IMG_20180307_144933429.jpg

Some flights today, it was around 40 degrees but made for a nice smoke trail. I got the trip wire twice:)

[video=youtube;I9RywKb4HLw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9RywKb4HLw&t=9s[/video]

Here are the two prototypes, A-12 version and SR-71 version

IMG_20180323_152254923.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180331_203737184.jpg
    IMG_20180331_203737184.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
One of my customers in Florida is planning to do some night flights and here's a picture of a stratodart with the LEDs that he put on the wings and in the nose.

20180405_085143.jpg

I did a torture test yesterday, 10 flights on E-20PW rocket motors, these give about a 150mph boost speed, and unless the glider is perfectly trimmed it would be a disaster since there is no time to steer:) I don't recommend these motors as they are more expensive per flight and don't get you any higher altitude, just a bigger scare on boost:) These are still branded by aerotech as E-15PW but the new ones with yellow extended forward ejection well and built in thrust ring are now actually E-20PW which a shorter burn, lower total impulse but higher peak.

[video=youtube;QPVCBp0TysM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPVCBp0TysM[/video]

Last edited:
You know I considered not posting this just because some people have selective reading skills, No I am not recommending those motors, if you are not an expert pilot with a perfectly trimmed model you will destroy it:) Just use E-6s's give yourself plenty of time to steer and relax on boost and don't use high thrust motors.....

and unless the glider is perfectly trimmed it would be a disaster since there is no time to steer I don't recommend these motors as they are more expensive per flight and don't get you any higher altitude, just a bigger scare on boost

I only did this to prove that if someone was going to do this anyway I wanted to make sure it would not come apart in flight.

Frank,
I have some old AT single-use E15-PW's. It sounds like you are recommending them for the new SR-71.

I've been thinking about three prototype rocket gliders off and on and decided to push through on them this weekend. First is an ode to the old Centuri UFO Invader, second is an upper ramjet intake twin tail cruise missile which will probably replace the orbital shuttle since interest has sort of died on that model, and the last one is themed on the fireball XL-5 but without the forward canards which just cause trouble. Here is what I started out with this morning.

IMG_20180414_122450208.jpg

First up was the Marauder, an upper intake twin tail cruise missile, 32" long, 20" wingspan, 2.6" tube, 10.5oz rtf most likely, had some spar tubing from my SR 71 kits and I thought it would make a neat upper air intake. I have parts for the BT-80 kits but the interest in the orbital shuttle has sort of died off so I'm looking for something to replace it that has smaller fins I can use my model plane foam on in the future. I'll finish it with these stickershock markings. 6.6 oz now

IMG_20180414_194538317.jpg

mar.jpg

Last edited:
Second was the Invader, it's a 20" span model, also 32" long and 2.6" diameter, I used some 1.6" tubing ends I had leftover from my SR-71 kits and used those to make some electromagnetic plasma ring engines in the wings. I got her complete and did some indoor test flights and it seems to glide quite well with boost cg at just over 25% chord. It's 6.75 oz right now.

IMG_20180414_162340621.jpg

Last edited:
Here's number 3, a fireball based design....32" long, 2.6" diameter, 20" wingspan, 6.75 oz empty.

IMG_20180414_231804718.jpg

Last edited:
Got all the radio components installed and painted, the Marauder weighs 10.25 oz rtf, the Fireball 11.25 oz rtf and the Invader UFO 11.375 oz rtf.

Frank

IMG_20180415_202851211.jpg

Last edited:
Back