Dynasoar Rocketry RC Rocket glider kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you. Looking forward to your build getting to the flying stage!

That really looks like a really good offer. The price is very reasonable and the most time consuming part of the construction has been eliminated. I think your cutting of the parts looks better than what I did, too. I still need to do a few things on my SR-71 and get back to my build-thread.

I got some of the supposed black(dark grey) depron, it's sort of a titanium color actually....It seems much more flexible and softer, and to look like a blackbird you would still need to paint it flat black, so I think on the kits I will stick to the white depron...I built one out of the gray last night, and flew it this morning, nearly hands off on boost and glide trim was perfect. I painted it flat black and am doing the panel lines now...found a skunk picture on the net, printed it, sprayed it with krylon flat clear, then cut out and attached with 3m-77 spray adhesive...

WP_20150304_016.jpg

WP_20150304_017.jpg

WP_20150304_018.jpg

WP_20150304_023.jpg

Last edited:
Frank,
I would like to fix the nose of my HobbyLab SR-71. I need to replace about the front 2". I think that the white 6 mm depron is too stiff to fit the contour. Do you think that the 6 mm grey depron would be flexible and soft enough to work.

Nice takeoffs and beautiful flights and landings on the way back!

I finished the templates for the X-15 as well, modified to fit into the same box, I was able to do it so that the spar is already mounted, as are the full flying tail surfaces. Where there is a joint to fit it into the box, it is pre-taped for alignment. Simply unfold the piece, and insert it into the right place. It's even simpler than the SR-71, flight weight and performance should be nearly the same.

Pictures are here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2275757#post29825474

WP_20150305_002.jpg

WP_20150305_003.jpg

WP_20150305_004.jpg

WP_20150307_039.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Frank -

Good to meet you at OROC tonite and thanks for the X-15 kit. Let me know when the instructions are available.

Like degreaser said... Really nice to meet put the face to the name!

All The Best!
Jim

OK, X-15 I gotta have... Now just have to get it worked into the budget (probably late April?)....

Visited the Museum of the Air Force at Wright-Patterson last year. The X-15 is a lot smaller than I envisioned, but still way cool!!!!

Yes, you and Jim as well!

The instructions and CG location are posted on the rcgroups link now along with the rest of the pictures of radio installation. Let me know if anything is unclear, it's late so I might not be thinking clearly.

Frank

Hi Frank -

Good to meet you at OROC tonite and thanks for the X-15 kit. Let me know when the instructions are available.

Last edited:
I spent a couple of hours Friday evening building one of Franks SR-71 prototype kits at Frank's home. I've had NO experience with Foam and not much with Cyno.
It went together really well and although unpainted it resembles a very cool looking SR-71. I still have to select the electronics for it. I'll try to get a photo up soon so you can see that even a beginner (for FOAM) can make a great profile glider.

George Rachor

The only progress I've made is hauling my tired butt down to Tammie's to get some foam safe CA.

What paint do you recommend? Have you seen any bad reactions on the foam?

What servos are you using?

The only progress I've made is hauling my tired butt down to Tammie's to get some foam safe CA.

What paint do you recommend? Have you seen any bad reactions on the foam?

What servos are you using?

IIRC, he's using Testors Flat Black Enamel for the paint.

IIRC, he's using Testors Flat Black Enamel for the paint.

Rattle can?

[Edit] Found the servos in the rcgroups thread. Hitec hs-55.

non-lacquer paint. That's important. :)

Last edited:
Yes, hs-55's and model master flat black(made by testors). One can may do it but I normally find one or two places where it soaked into the edges and I need a bit more.
Tammies has those, as does hillsboro hobbies for the same price.

It's covered in the instructions, maybe it's not as obvious..but you should read them through if you haven't and refer to the photos, it will help in a couple of places to do things in a certain order as well, like putting in the pushrods before you glue the bottom fuse in place, or it is very hard to get them on from the inside..... :

Last edited:
I ordered some of the D-5P's from quest, I had used them in the past in my X-15 but forgot about them, for these two lighter models, they should work fine, the thrust curve is similar to the Aerotech reloadable motors...I made a quick adapter, by cutting four lengths of 18mm motor tube, slitting them full length, and sliding them over each other with the joints offset and using CA to harden them, seems to fit the 24mm motor mount perfectly...Of course you could just use masking tape to fit them as well....I'll post any flight results when they get here.

Frank

Last edited:
I've done templates for the F-106 Delta Dart, it is probably the simplest of all the designs.....unfold wing, glue and insert spars, unfold fuse, glue, add in doublers and add the wing and motor mount...I've laminated the fuse pieces, and added a carbon spar for the nose, grooved the wing for spars, hinged the elevons, built the motor mount.

Frank

WP_20131229_002.jpg

I've done templates for the F-106 Delta Dart, it is probably the simplest of all the designs.....unfold wing, glue and insert spars, unfold fuse, glue, add in doublers and add the wing and motor mount...I've laminated the fuse pieces, and added a carbon spar for the nose, grooved the wing for spars, hinged the elevons, built the motor mount.

Frank

At first glance, I thought that was a B-58 Hustler... Another design I'd Love to see/have.

Some others I'd like to see...

Marine Dropship (Aliens)
F-4 Phantom
F-14 Tomcat
F-111E Aardvark
F-15 Eagle
SU-27KUB Flanker
MIG-31 Firefox

All The Best!
Jim

Last edited:
The F-4 does fly on rocket motors,

The hustler is quite a bit bigger and I have not modified it for rocket boost, it is my personal favorite non rocket model that I've designed.

WP_20140123_013ROCKET.jpg

hustler_new.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'll need to to figure out how to make 'em myself... Cause with my penchant for building, I'd go broke while your wallet only gets fatter... :wink:

IIRC, I think I saw your build on the B-58 here, I just forgot about it.

I decided to try my had at this but doing it my way... It's not perfect, and it needed 40 ounces to make the CG move ahead of the CP, so I don't think it'll work that well... but here it is anyway...

Blackbird Concept Test.jpg

Last edited:
I encourage you to try to do them yourself, the plans are all posted. You'll find that the foam and little pieces, carbon, velcro, lead, etc will run you around $30 a plane. then it's just your time to cut them out and fit things.

The CP /cg on your drawing is much too far forward, the CG on the Sr-71 profile top view is just behind the inboard V cut near the motor intake.

Last edited:
Yes, rail buttons or launch lug is included in the kit. I doubled the bottom of the fuse to enable putting a styrene strip on the bottom to mount the rail buttons to. This particular 4 channel spektrum receiver is full range and comes with a short antenna and a longer antenna as standard.

Frank

Wow! There are rail buttons. Maybe a little bit of an antenna has been added to the receiver?

Last edited:
Back