Wizard Upscale as a group project for a youth group

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

75Grandville

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been volunteering with an organization that works with local youth, starting a rocketry program. The schedule for a given month is:

Week 1: Repair rockets from prev launch; introduce group project
Week 2: Group Project
Week 3: New participants build an Estes Wizard
Week 4: Finish Wizards; Safety Briefing; Launch Prep -> Launch (next afternoon)

I'm hoping to get the participants to suggest group topics. In the interim, I've been trying to come up with ideas. This month it was building some of the Cosmic Explorer kits Estes was blowing out on sale for $3.33 (rather than $21.99 list). [Important note: There is a critical errata sheet in the kits! If you follow the directions as printed you cannot assemble the rocket!]

Tonight is the launch prep etc., and tomorrow is the launch.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to introduce them to upscaling. I've attached my preliminary RockSim/Open Rocket file.

View attachment Estes Wizard Upscale BT-70.rkt

I gave this a fair amount of thought. I've already got a BT-70 tube from Balsa Machining and a BT-70 NC from Apogee, which is pretty key! Also, the park that we launch in is only suitable for D impulse or less, per the NAR safety code. I did come up with BT-80 and even 3" versions, but those needed more engine than I could safely launch. With the BT-70 design, a C11-3 is theoretically possible, but would like apogee over 100'.

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to add weight to keep the apogee down. The park that we launch at has trees around the edges, and I'd hate to lose this to a rocket-eating tree! But, I'm hoping to take the rocket and some of the kids to a UROC launch, stuff an E or F in there, and go for altitude. So, I want a way to add weight temporarily. Best I've come up with is adding some big fender washers to the quick link where the shock cord will attach to the NC. Any other ideas greatly appreciated!

My intent is to have this as a discussion and a build thread.

I would put in a 2 - 3" payload bay just aft of the nose( can also be used for an altimeter). your chute will try to follow Newton's laws as soon as the motor lights(an object at rest...:)).
Rex

Can't see the file from here (I'm at school)... If I'm understanding Rex's meaning, he's saying it could use a shelf to keep the laundry up where the separation point is.

Now, If you're trying for the purple and white version (there's at least two color schemes for this) you could put in a zipperless design, as well as a baffle, and a payload section.

One thing that I've learned about zipperless though is that if the separation point is >1/3 the length behind the top, the fin can will have an annoying habit of falling off if the joint isn't tight enough.

Back