Rocket Ground Support Trailer Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude... Awesome!

Thank you. It has been a fun project. The wife and kids have been helping with it's construction. I definitely don't have any issues getting the whole family to go to a launch now. In fact the wife even built and flew her first rocket a few launches ago. Worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Wayyy too cool...
I'm drooling...
Good for you man...
All the best with it...
With that trailer all set up
and you've got your wife and kids into rocketry going to launches with you !!!!!!!!

You've got it made man...
That's how to do it...

Teddy

It certainly looks like a super mobile workshop, but when I go to launches I take a number of large rockets... How much net storage volume are you going to end up with after all the mods? Also important are maximum airframe length and fin span in that volume?

It certainly looks like a super mobile workshop, but when I go to launches I take a number of large rockets... How much net storage volume are you going to end up with after all the mods? Also important are maximum airframe length and fin span in that volume?

It's a 20' trailer, which fits my last project of 13' just fine and my rockets have very small fins. The plan is to install some rocket mounting gear along the ceiling near the cable trays.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Yes, AC from Solar!
Put a 1kW array on the top and 900AHr of battery and you'll be golden except for the worst weather.
We have a "shore power" input just in case we need to borrow some generator time from a neighbor....but rarely use it.
We run our full size fridge, PA-style audio, light and all the power tools we need.

AND NO NOISE!

Yes, AC from Solar!
Put a 1kW array on the top and 900AHr of battery and you'll be golden except for the worst weather.
We have a "shore power" input just in case we need to borrow some generator time from a neighbor....but rarely use it.
We run our full size fridge, PA-style audio, light and all the power tools we need.

AND NO NOISE!

Very very cool...
That is really a great idea...
I'd guess you have to be careful how you mount a solar panel to the roof of a trailer
as it constantly has to withstand highway speed winds....

Teddy

Yes, AC from Solar!

AND NO NOISE!

I haven't put any solar cells on the trailer yet. I do plan to do so at some point, just to keep electronics running on nice days. I currently use a Honda EUi7000, of which most people never realize is even running. Doubt I will be running my AC off of solar anytime soon, it pulls 1.8kW.

Tested out the new repeater at the launch this weekend. Nice having reliable communication over a large area.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1499655414.411308.jpg

The trailer performed great at BALLS this year. We tracked so many great projects this year. We were able to track a project and field personnel with enough precision to find a 54mm hole in the Playa 1.5miles away from the flight line. The rocket was 12" deep. The repeater also work flawlessly with clear signal all the way to the 12 mile entrance, sure it could have gone further but didn't check.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1506560138.467356.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1506560168.256946.jpg

I wish I had remembered this thread while I was at BALLS. I would have enjoyed seeing the trailer.
Can you tell me more about the repeater, such as which service you're repeating?

Steve Shannon

It’s been awhile since I updated the trailer post. Year after year all of the electronics get beat to hell with heat, dust and whatever the heck the Playa is made of. So I have decided to move everything but the monitors and radios to a rack in a vented cabinet.
IMG_5596.jpg
IMG_5597.jpg

Back