NEW 3D Printed Sleds for 2015, feedback requested.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landru

Additive Aerospace
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi Everybody!

I've been working on revamping my standard sled offerings for 2015, and I'm really close to finished! I just need some feedback before finishing the new sled designs!

There have been requests for a sled which works for pretty much every altimeter during this last year, and I'm going to try and deliver for as many as possible!

Supported Altimeters for 2015:

MAWD
Stratologger SL100
Stratologger CF
Adept22
Telemetrum 2.0
Eggtimer Rev D
Eggfinder TRS
Eggfinder Rev B
ARTS1/2
Entacore AIM 3
Raven
Tragic Little Aerospace Tracker

The 38mm sleds will not be supporting the TLA, Arts, Eggtimer, and Eggfinder TRS due to size limitations.

To accommodate All these altimeters, the sleds have been extended to 5" long.

Additionally, the sleds can now carry 2x of the new Stratologger CF or Raven. This also means the 98mm 2x sleds can be outfitted with a Stratologger CF, Raven, and a third altimeter or tracker simultaneously!

IMG_20150222_154615121.jpg

I will also be stocking the small lipo batteries which have been perpetually out-of stock from spark-fun.

An official announcement will be made with all details once the designs are finalized.

If you have any more suggestions or requests, now is the time!

~Andrew

Of course you mention this AFTER I place an order for two sleds! LOL. Looks great!

Suggestions/comments:

First off - great that you are expanding and improving. I've been using your sleds more and more, and I really like them. In fact just today I started putting one together for new rocket, and I was thinking to myself, "these things are so sweet". Actually I generally like to "make my own" on so many things, AV sleds included, but I've been liking these so much that I'm coming to accept that I'd rather use these than my own more often than not.

Second - I like the way you are using/mounting the 2nd and 3rd switches on this new design. Slick. I would suggest that you make sure that the angle they are mounted (relative to the airframe) is such that the screw is in line with the center of the rocket. It looks like they are already. But if not, it would mean that when you insert a screwdriver into the airframe hole, it would engage slightly off axis with the screw, which could lead to slippage or stripping.

Third - on the older sleds you have two lines of small, rectangular holes running the length of the sled, but they aren't in the new design. I'd put them back in as a suggestion, as I find they are really handy for wire management.

Fourth - given that you can mount two altimeters in some instances, will there be two 9v battery holders? It would be nice if there were.

Fifth - It's good you are going to carry the LiPos - they HAVE been a pain to find. Perhaps also carrying/supplying a JST lead so that folks can wire that into their altimeters, and they could easily unplug the battery for charging. While we are on the subject of LiPos - anyway you could make the battery compartment on SMART sleds just a teensy bit wider - my LiPos are a VERY tight fit in those.

Sixth - I'm assuming you did not list the Missileworks altimeters in your fit-list due to the fact that the MW compatible sleds are only through them? I totally get the business reasons why you would do it this way, but it would be nice if there was one sled that truly fit EVERYTHING, given that so many of us use and love our RRC3s and RRC2s along with our Ravens, Stratologgers, Adept22s, Telemetrums, etc.

All in all, consider me a very happy flyer of Landru sleds, and I'm excited to see you are expanding/refining.
s6

A sled for Adept ALTS 25s would be nice

Got screw hole dimensions? It *looks* like 2 holes will line up with the ARTS mounts but i'm not sure what the actual spacing is.

Suggestions/comments:

First off - great that you are expanding and improving. I've been using your sleds more and more, and I really like them. In fact just today I started putting one together for new rocket, and I was thinking to myself, "these things are so sweet". Actually I generally like to "make my own" on so many things, AV sleds included, but I've been liking these so much that I'm coming to accept that I'd rather use these than my own more often than not.

Second - I like the way you are using/mounting the 2nd and 3rd switches on this new design. Slick. I would suggest that you make sure that the angle they are mounted (relative to the airframe) is such that the screw is in line with the center of the rocket. It looks like they are already. But if not, it would mean that when you insert a screwdriver into the airframe hole, it would engage slightly off axis with the screw, which could lead to slippage or stripping.

Third - on the older sleds you have two lines of small, rectangular holes running the length of the sled, but they aren't in the new design. I'd put them back in as a suggestion, as I find they are really handy for wire management.

Fourth - given that you can mount two altimeters in some instances, will there be two 9v battery holders? It would be nice if there were.

Fifth - It's good you are going to carry the LiPos - they HAVE been a pain to find. Perhaps also carrying/supplying a JST lead so that folks can wire that into their altimeters, and they could easily unplug the battery for charging. While we are on the subject of LiPos - anyway you could make the battery compartment on SMART sleds just a teensy bit wider - my LiPos are a VERY tight fit in those.

Sixth - I'm assuming you did not list the Missileworks altimeters in your fit-list due to the fact that the MW compatible sleds are only through them? I totally get the business reasons why you would do it this way, but it would be nice if there was one sled that truly fit EVERYTHING, given that so many of us use and love our RRC3s and RRC2s along with our Ravens, Stratologgers, Adept22s, Telemetrums, etc.

All in all, consider me a very happy flyer of Landru sleds, and I'm excited to see you are expanding/refining.
s6

1) Thanks!
2) Yup, already is that way!
3) They will still be there, just didn't make it into the prototype. Had to press print before I headed to bed and some "easy" features were temporarily omitted.
4) Still only one 9v holder due to geometry/cost restraints. However, I want to offer battery compartment dividers so you can easily fit 2-3 of the LiPo's in a single 9v slot.
5) Pre-wired JST leads are on the "want" board. There is no practical commercial source right now. I'm trying to find someone to solder up a pile of these at a reasonable rate.
6) Correct, the MW sleds are separate entities.

I also forgot to mention I will be publishing some hole drilling guides and a .pdf with info about which mounting holes are for which altimeters.

Excellent news to see these, Andrew. It would be good if they could elegantly mount a Raven with Power Perch, or better yet, a pair of same. Can they?

Best wishes!

Any plans for the Marsa54L altimeter and maybe this MrfBridge board on 3" or 4" bays?

My first suggested improvement is to ship the units with slightly longer lobe screws. When attaching my RRC2+ to the 3" single alt sled, the screws just barely engage the bump/thread holes in the sled...1/8" or so without any spacers or insulators.

The second request is to enlarge the cable management slots. The length is fine but the width could be 1/32" wider. I like to thread my wiring through the slots.

Third request is to make an access slot in the sides of the switch "hood" where the sides meet the sled deck. This would allow a cable tie to be passed through that part of sled. I Dremel'ed a slot in mine for this purpose.

Thanks! Very happy with my sleds and I like the MissileWorks blue color.

I'm just going to make a sled out of cardboard boxes... probably won't do but I just needed something to support the eggtimer while it sits in the nosecone.

Any plans for the Marsa54L altimeter and maybe this MrfBridge board on 3" or 4" bays?

Ahh yes! The Marsa54L will fit the 98mm sled (but just one.) I unfortunately couldn't make it fit on any other sled

My first suggested improvement is to ship the units with slightly longer lobe screws. When attaching my RRC2+ to the 3" single alt sled, the screws just barely engage the bump/thread holes in the sled...1/8" or so without any spacers or insulators.

The second request is to enlarge the cable management slots. The length is fine but the width could be 1/32" wider. I like to thread my wiring through the slots.

Third request is to make an access slot in the sides of the switch "hood" where the sides meet the sled deck. This would allow a cable tie to be passed through that part of sled. I Dremel'ed a slot in mine for this purpose.

Thanks! Very happy with my sleds and I like the MissileWorks blue color.

I'll pass the screw length issue onto Jim. He's been handling the screws for the RRC Sleds.

Could you show a picture of your cable tie slot and how you are using it?

I'll see if I can make the cable slots a tad wider :)

I noticed the Eggfinder is supported however the Sled is supposed to be mounted with two all threads, won't this mess with the signal?

I noticed the Eggfinder is supported however the Sled is supposed to be mounted with two all threads, won't this mess with the signal?

It is only a problem if the antenna is parallel to the all thread. If you have an external antenna that is outside of the AV bay, no problem.

That I can't say for sure. It ismounted with the antenna pointing out the top of the av-bay above the all thread. I suspect some experimentation will be required to see what the range would be.

I'll pass the screw length issue onto Jim. He's been handling the screws for the RRC Sleds.

Could you show a picture of your cable tie slot and how you are using it?

I'll see if I can make the cable slots a tad wider :)

Here's my 3" sled populated with RRC2+, Doghouse Rocketry wiring and fiddly bits, and stainless steel hardware.

View attachment 255604

If you enlarge the photo you can see where I cut a slot into the side of the switch bridge upright so I could pass a cable tie through it and around the all-thread housing.

For those following along, the red stuff under the nylon insert lock nut under the PVC charge well (left side of photo) is high-temperature silicone sealant. I seal all my bulk plate pass-throughs with sealant. Does it help? Dunno but it's cheap ($4 a tube) insurance if it works.

Why so many cable ties? In a former life I ran cable crews who wired up telecom closets and "big iron" computer rooms. Dressing out cable plants gets in your blood...you should see the internal wiring of my computers. :D

Cheers for the Telemetrum compatibility! I think buying one of these now is a no brainer for me.
One question, will they be able to fit in a blue tube airframe?

They are designed to fit into a coupler tube at their listed size.

The telemetrum in the 38mm is a bit tight and may require slightly sanding the terminals though.

I do all my testing with blue tube couplers (it's just what I have on hand)

Quote: Supported Altimeters for 2015:

MAWD
Stratologger SL100
Stratologger CF
Adept22
Telemetrum 2.0
Eggtimer Rev D
Eggfinder TRS
Eggfinder Rev B
ARTS1/2
Entacore AIM 3
Raven
Tragic Little Aerospace Tracker

The 38mm sleds will not be supporting the TLA, Arts, Eggtimer, and Eggfinder TRS due to size limitations.

Is there a way we can use the 38mm sled in a modified configuration to accommodate the Egg stuff? Or maybe a specific sled for them?

I don't see the EasyMini in the list, since I just got one of those it seems like it would be a nice thing to have, and it's small enough it should be able to be part of a dual-altimeter setup, I'm using the SLCF and EasyMini in my DD setup. The hole guide is on Altus Metrium's site.

Also, any chance of supporting two of FeatherWeight's Magnetic Switches in place of the screw switches? They have 3 mounting holes, though they're also the 3 terminals (In, Out and GND).

I'll probably have to get my own 3D printer and figure out how to make my own equivalents to this before I'd end up with a 3D printed sled though, as I've standardized on this Turnigy 2s 950mAh battery for my electronics, which is similarly-sized to a 9V battery but longer so I don't think it works with this sled (especially a dual-altimeter setup needing two of them, or the TRS which wants two for itself)?

Thanks.

Just ordered one of the 54mm sleds. Can't wait to receive it!

Ok, these sleds seem to bear a strong resemblance to the sleds from Missile Works for the RRC2+ and RRC3, and those too are 3d printed. I also don't see Missile Works on your list! Did you design Jim's or does Jim let you use his design for other altimeters? :)

Missile works sells them specifically for their altimeters.

Ok, these sleds seem to bear a strong resemblance to the sleds from Missile Works for the RRC2+ and RRC3, and those too are 3d printed. I also don't see Missile Works on your list! Did you design Jim's or does Jim let you use his design for other altimeters? :)

Landru teamed up with them, I believe Landru designed for Missile works or at least is his printer. Landru had this type of design before MW.

Landru teamed up with them, I believe Landru designed for Missile works or at least is his printer. Landru had this type of design before MW.

Exactly, They are all of his designs and he partnered up with missile works for their altimeter sleds. I just got 2 38mm sleds from him for my telemetrum which will be perfect for my 38mm md project and a 54mm sled for my 54mm md. They are truly amazing and so much easier then making your own sleds and having to mount switches and batteries.

I do all the design and production for all the 3D Printed sleds.

I teamed up with Jim at Missile Works early on to make sleds specifically tailored to his altimeters.

~Andrew

How about offering a generic slid with a solid flat mounting area? User would drill their own mounting holes for any desired equipment - Arduinos, accelerators, IMUs, etc.

Latest posts

Back